Screw retained pfm

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
What is the preferred screw retained pfm? Cast ucla? Custom abutment with pfm over the top of it? I design most of my abutments now and I thought I would just do a two piece abutment and crown with screw hole and just cement together or do you think old school cast to ucla and press porcelain on?
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Argen has an SLM CrCo abutment option with a TiBase bonded to it. You would need to ask about the ceramic used, that I have no clue.
and, if its a nobel conical platform, you can design it in 3shape with argens library with up to a 15 deg angled channel. at that angle you would have to order the Omni screw and driver from Nobel... but its an option..

Ironically, Nobel has yet to have that capability (for their own system) in 3shape

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
What is the preferred screw retained pfm? Cast ucla? Custom abutment with pfm over the top of it? I design most of my abutments now and I thought I would just do a two piece abutment and crown with screw hole and just cement together or do you think old school cast to ucla and press porcelain on?
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made a two piece abutment and crown before. it worked out great and since it's cemented, you can separate the base if you need to repair it.

DSC_0380.jpg
DSC_0379.jpg
DSC_0401.jpg

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Nice rkm.
pjd cdt,
Lately I've been getting more build-to/ cast-to abutments from dr's who have historically wanted Ti w/ pfm or emax crowns over them. Any clue why this might be happening? We know the porcelain isn't as strong. Do they look that much better in the mouth? Most are screw retained.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
our drs want screw retained to avoid having to clean cement from under the gingiva

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
our drs want screw retained to avoid having to clean cement from under the gingiva
Yep ours too...and to answer PJD's question, we do them like rkm, but have the doctor cement it to the abutment in office. As for excess cement, its one of the biggest causes for implant failures. We have a technique (and I will take pics and provide soon) that has dramatically helped in this. I know this will be hard to follow without pics, but I will try to explain. What we do is take a duplication of the custom abutment with analog/replica. We make an epoxy die of the custom abutment. It's a single expoxy die of the custom abutment. We send that out with the final restoration to the doctor with the custom abutment and virgin torque screw. Why you ask?...because here's the technique, the Doctor tries the abutment and crown in, if everything is a fit, then he will clean the crown and abutment, take the epoxy die and cement the crown onto the epoxy die. Once that cement is hardened, he'll take the crown off the epoxy die (this is why you have used epoxy, the cement won't stick to it, only the crown). Now the Doc torques in the abutment into the patient mouth, and then he very lightly micro brushes just a little bit of cement on the intaglio surface of the already previously cemented crown. This provides almost no to the utmost little tiny bit of excess cement. I'm currently writing a tech article on this with pics, but thought I would share this technique with all of you. It's slick and quick, and works awesome!!!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Sounds like you are prefilling the cement space .Cool idea.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I guess I have to tell you how to make a crown under a partial with the Trios now.;)

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Great technique Rob - Just learned a similar technique from Peter Pizzi. What are you using to duplicate the abutment?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Great technique Rob - Just learned a similar technique from Peter Pizzi. What are you using to duplicate the abutment?

Once we made the crown and custom abutment, we take the custom abutment off the model and tighten up an anolog to it. We then wrap some rope wax around the analog to mimic a stone die. Then it comes down to however you want to duplicate it, you can bead and box the custom abutment die and pour a duplicating material (make sure its a good material). I personally use to do a lot of Captek and we had to duplicate our dies for that, therefore there is little wax based holders with a plastic cylinder and then you pour duplicating material around the custom abutment. You can still get these from Argen/Captek. Let me find a pic for ya. Hope that helps.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I guess I have to tell you how to make a crown under a partial with the Trios now.;)
When I get back to the lab I will show you some pics of exactly that using Exocad...you know that software, the software where you pay only once and don't get shut off later on if you don't want it updated. Yeah that software :p

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Rob, please let us know when/where this will be published. I've seen the technique, but don't know all the details. Thanks.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Rob, please let us know when/where this will be published. I've seen the technique, but don't know all the details. Thanks.
will do :)

Top Bottom