Screw-retained crowns

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
What is everyone charging for a screw-retained implant crown compared to a cementable implant crown?

I'm not looking for a specific dollar amount.

We have been charging the same for either restoration but on the invoice I list the abutment and crown separately if it is cementable.

It seems like making it screw retained is a little more labor intensive, but I'm not sure if docs would feel it is justified to charge more for it.

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
For screw retained we charge for the crown itself and then a separate charge for the abutment. We base the abutment fee as if it was a custom milled abutment. I kinda look at it as a crown with a custom abutment but we happen to cement the crown to it instead of the dr. and it has a hole in it.

actittle

actittle

Señor Member
Reaction score
That's how we currently charge for it.

Here's an example,

Cementable implant crown
Custom abutment $1
Crown $1
Total $2

Or

Screw-retained crown $2

Last edited:
ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
We charge a inclusive price for them and group it together as a screw retained crown.

We charge more for screw retained then abutment and crown.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I charge an extra fee for cementation.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Just to clarify - Are we talking PFMs?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
If that's the case, shouldn't the screw-retained be less expensive?

Using Glidewell fees - a custom abutment would run you about $108 inc. shipping if you designed, then you would have mill the coping (we routinely do a second scan of the abutment on the model) and apply the ceramic. A screw-retained would be done with a Ti insert ($47 inc. screw) and you are milling the zirconia framework and again applying the ceramic, then cementation which takes all of about two minutes.

Just seems like the screw-retained pfz is less time consuming and logistially easier - at least for me. Maybe I'm missing something...

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score

Using Glidewell fees - a custom abutment would run you about $108 inc. shipping if you designed, then you would have mill the coping (we routinely do a second scan of the abutment on the model) and apply the ceramic. A screw-retained would be done with a Ti insert ($47 inc. screw) and you are milling the zirconia framework and again applying the ceramic, then cementation which takes all of about two minutes.

Just seems like the screw-retained pfz is less time consuming and logistially easier - at least for me. Maybe I'm missing something...

So what do you suggest the sale price to be?

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score

I feel that just beacause you are saving some money on components does not mean we should pass that along to the doc. He is still charging the patient the same fee regardless. I see it as a more profitable restoration for us. Is any of your clients complain about your implant fees? Not mine they are looking toward me for my expertise in restoring implants.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Everyone should price their restorations based on what it costs you to produce the unit + your desired margin. Weather its a simple tooth borne cemented crown or a full arch case its all about direct+indirect labor + materials + desired profit = PRICE.

Where pricing of products differ widely is that there are several products that we produce with CAD that allow us much less direct labor. Direct labor has always been our most expense piece of the pie.

The most profitable appliance in my lab is a full contour screw retained Hybrid crown. Nothing comes close to the margin I make and my clients still see extraordinary value. There is a reason why this last month we did 1 to 1 restorations one implant crown for every tooth borne crown we produced. Its not because I am cheap either :)

The market is changing guys get the biggest piece of the pie you can for as long as you can pay off your equipment as fast as possible and evaluate your manufacturing costs monthly to see trends. This will allow you to see where your growth is and market specific restorations that YOU WANT TO DO not the ones you have to do.

This business is booming right now IMPLANT dentistry has never been stronger. Remember this as RLHHDS stated BE A RESOURCE to your clients they are not just buying that widgets we produce, as I see it the new breed of clients are more dentally aware than ever before but its our duty to stay one step ahead. Take as much con ed as you can, read and participate as much as possible. Devepope your skill set don't just let it mature over the years.

This business has given me a pretty good life I am hear to say that it can do the same for you if you think like a business man and not like a tortured artist.

OK off the soap box, I am sore and tired demolished master bath today took out literally a tone of tile and cement to the dump and ever damn muscle in my body is aching. 3 beers in and starting to feel a bit better.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Anybody doing these out of Emax? My initial thought was no. I have two doctors almost demanding it.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Anybody doing these out of Emax? My initial thought was no. I have two doctors almost demanding it.
Done quite a few. No problems so far. We do anodize the Ti inserts...

victormasi

victormasi

Reaction score
We fabricate the tow components separate. Try to get a one piece abutment/crown to have perfect contacts and a passive fit to the interface.
You will pull hairs out you may not have. We mill the Ti abutment, then make the PFM with access hole. Then the Dr. makes aLL THE ADJUSTMENTS (dry) and cements the two together, They love it.

Top Bottom