Scaratchometer-Dental Hypersensitivity

A

arghya

Reaction score
respected Sir/Madam, I am a PG dental student and wanted to do a project on dental hypersensitivity. For that I require a SCRATCHOMETER, but getting difficulty for get it. I am staying in bangalore, India. please advice me about the place where I can search for that instrument.
Thanking you,
Arghya
E-Mail: [email protected]

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
This is all the info I could find. You may have to make your own.

CLINICAL RESEARCH ON DENTIN SENSITIVITY
Measurement of Dentin Hypersensitivity
In clinical trials of dentin sensitivity, most authorities recommend that two different stimuli be used to evaluate the sensitivity. These can be either variable stimuli to a constant response, or a constant stimulus to a variable response. In the first case, one would apply a tactile stimulus, for instance, with a dental explorer that has been modified to display the force applied from 5 g to 150 g or centiNewtons (cN). Kleinberg and his colleagues used the scratchometer, which is a hand-held analog load gauge that has a dental explorer welded to the scratch tine.18 The scratchometer is applied perpendicular to the sensitive surface and scratched across the surface using 10, 20, 30, 40, etc, cN of force. Insensitive dentin can withstand 80 cN to 100 cN.

If one blows compressed air on an exposed dentin surface while covering the two adjacent teeth with gloved fingers at full force for 1 second at a distance of 5 cm, one can ask the patient to rate their pain perception on a visual analog scale that ranges from 0 mm to 100 mm, with zero being no pain and 100 being unbearable pain. An air blast is an evaporative stimulus, causing rapid outward fluid flow. The use of electrical stimuli, championed by Kleinberg’s group, has been largely abandoned because they rely on devices that vary in voltage instead of current. A more detailed discussion of the use of electrical stimuli to measure changes in dentin sensitivity, or the details of how thermal, osmotic, and hydrodynamic stimuli have been used to test dentin hypersensitivity, can be found in Gillam’s article.19