Scanning Stock Abutment

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
How is everyone going about scanning something like this?

I haven't tried yet but I have a feeling my scanner won't see it all once I modify the stock abutment. Maybe I should have sectioned it?

Wish I could do a custom abutment but doctor wants me to use the stock abutment Argh.

NHANkOx.jpg
8awhKH1.jpg

I

IgorN

Reaction score
Its better to be sectioned and scanned as a die.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I scan solid models then scan the abutment on an analog as an extra die and register it to the full arch scan.
This is the same as we do as well...get that sucker on an analog to scan it.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I do everything on solid models. No pinning and sectioning for me except on a very rare occasion. Much more control over the proximal fits especially on implants.

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
Thanks

I will try that. I had thought of scanning it separately but I was a bit concerned about the accuracy during matching. I would have thought that wouldn't be accurate enough to match it over the solid model.

I do everything on solid models. No pinning and sectioning for me except on a very rare occasion. Much more control over the proximal fits especially on implants.

So you do solid models on all cases and then scan extra dies and match them?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
So you do solid models on all cases and then scan extra dies and match them?
Only if I can't get the margins on the solid scan. I trim the gingiva on the solid cast.

solidmodelscan2.png

This is one of the cases I had to scan an extra die for. I couldn't capture that one area of the margin. Anything apical of that I don't worry about if there is a hole in the scan data. Just close it with the editor. I use DOF and use the proximal scan feature for this, different scan angles.

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe adjust the mesial contact on #3, mark it and tell the dentist to do the same in the mouth. Huge food trap!

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
Only if I can't get the margins on the solid scan. I trim the gingiva on the solid cast.

View attachment 29447

This is one of the cases I had to scan an extra die for. I couldn't capture that one area of the margin. Anything apical of that I don't worry about if there is a hole in the scan data. Just close it with the editor. I use DOF and use the proximal scan feature for this, different scan angles.

Well that's really nice! I doubt our MAP400 could scan the interproximal areas so easily

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Try doing two separate cases. Save as stl and register together. Turn one of the arches on end instead of laying flat. Break the rules man!