SCAN ORDER ON 3SHAPE

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
Hello folks. A fellow CAD Designer friend of mine, twice removed, asked me an interesting question. He wanted to know (as would I),if there is any possible way to change the scan order on 3Shape Hmmmm2 ? Him and I both like to start with the bite first, rather than the individual arches. So if you have any knowledge of such witchery 🧙‍♀️, please do let me know.

Much appreciated in advance! Ciao

Y

Yuugen

Reaction score
Got a Good Idea what he wanted to do but sadly you can't because to finish that step u need the complete scan of the upper and lower. But you can skip the upper and lower scan by clicking the bite and that's it now the bite is saved,Then you can start scanning the upper and then antagonist and then u can finished that bite by aligning the upper and lower.

Hope this helps

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
Got a Good Idea what he wanted to do but sadly you can't because to finish that step u need the complete scan of the upper and lower. But you can skip the upper and lower scan by clicking the bite and that's it now the bite is saved,Then you can start scanning the upper and then antagonist and then u can finished that bite by aligning the upper and lower.

Hope this helps
you are correct, i have been doing exactly that. i just wanted to see if there was a way to change it so i don't have to physically click on the bite first and the work backwards. because that is what I do. We both start at the bite, then scan the upper and lower, then the dies. thank you anyway @Yuugen

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
No, you can change the order the icons are in but You can scan the bite first, then scan the model opposing and die, or the die first etc. Since 2015 they made it free to scan in any order, just click the icon on the top of the scan window and scan in order you prefer.

Y

Yuugen

Reaction score
No, you can change the order the icons are in but You can scan the bite first, then scan the model opposing and die, or the die first etc. Since 2015 they made it free to scan in any order, just click the icon on the top of the scan window and scan in order you prefer.
Yup your right you can change any order of scanning you want, Just that if you start with the bite you have to skip the alignment process and then after you scan the upper and lower you have to click back on the first icon (bite icon) to finish the bite process. I already tried that

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
correct, but the only thing is that I actually didn't want to click on the icons. I wanted them to be in the order in which I like to scan. So i will have to settle to just clicking the icons in the order i want to scan, instead of re-arranging the icons.

user name

user name

Reaction score
One more reason for ExoCAD. Scan in any order you like.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
correct, but the only thing is that I actually didn't want to click on the icons. I wanted them to be in the order in which I like to scan. So i will have to settle to just clicking the icons in the order i want to scan, instead of re-arranging the icons.

Unless you can rewrite code........no way.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
One more reason for ExoCAD. Scan in any order you like.

Scan in any order you like in 3shape as well what he wants to do is set the deafault scan order and physically move the icons around in the program. no can do that in exo either. So no you can't do it in exo the way he wants.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yup your right you can change any order of scanning you want, Just that if you start with the bite you have to skip the alignment process and then after you scan the upper and lower you have to click back on the first icon (bite icon) to finish the bite process. I already tried that
So what you scan the bite, then prep then opposing then when you go back to the bite go straight to the alignment and wait for it to process. No need to rescan or antyhing get that started then go to scan the die. While the die is scanning go back to the bite and finish. It is not that hard, just be patient. Otherwise scan in default order.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Scan in any order you like in 3shape as well what he wants to do is set the deafault scan order and physically move the icons around in the program. no can do that in exo either. So no you can't do it in exo the way he wants.
Since you are not married to any particular scanner with exo (unless certain branded version?) it is possible to change the the scanning order and icons depending on which scanner system.
With DOF changing scanning order and icons is available in the SW settings. I would guess it is possible with some of the other scanner software's.
exoscan is a free module/utility that will drive compatible scanners within exocad rather than the scanner's software.
Once the patient data and job type are specified selecting the scan icon takes you from the data base to the scan step which allows you to choose which scan to start with.
exocad can be generic or branded. This allows for customization via editing xml setting files or adding commands. If you wanted to get real nerdy with it you could change the skins and layout of the software without being a coder.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
You can do this in imetric amd dof scanner softwares.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@DreN4do how do you hold your casts together for the bite scan? I use sticky wax on 2 spots, 1 on the buccal and 1 on the lingual. I like the order it's in because the upper and lower scans are clean when I scan those individually. Granted, I do eventually have to clean up the casts when I'm done scanning.

I will give it a try though, and see if I trim the upper or lower if it transfers over to the bite scan.

Not trying to contradict you and your friend, what I also like about the order it's in, is after doing the preparation scan I can take the die(s) out of the the working cast and be setting those in the putty while doing the antagonist and bite scan (you don't need those in when doing the bite scan).

Also, with all of the scans when it says processing, you can take the plate off and load the other plate and be ready to go with the next scan. It really moves the scanning process along quickly :)

Last edited:
Y

Yuugen

Reaction score
Car 54, Try glue gun you can remove that easily by soaking the glued area with water

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Car 54, Try glue gun you can remove that easily by soaking the glued area with water
If you don't want to wait for a glue gun to preheat or leave it on all day just use clear glue stick and torch.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to wait for a glue gun to preheat or leave it on all day just use clear glue stick and torch.
Get your signet ring out to put your seal on the bite stick?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Thank you for the tip, Yuugen. I did try that in the past but I didn't like waiting for the glue gun to warm up, and then to set. But you are right, it cleans up a whole lot easier with water, than the wax clean up.

I did find that you have to find the right glue gun or glue, that doesn't get so hot that it's hard to get off and can take some die stone with it.

You read my mind, for both reasons :) I'll give this a try today. Then I'll also hit the tack spots with a little air to help cool the glue more quickly. I'll look for a low temp glue if what I have on hand is a harder to melt high temp sticks.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Get your signet ring out to put your seal on the bite stick?

Lol...yes, and in the glue on the model to make the scans your very own authentic, verified scans :)

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
@DreN4do how do you hold your casts together for the bite scan? I use sticky wax on 2 spots, 1 on the buccal and 1 on the lingual. I like the order it's in because the upper and lower scans are clean when I scan those individually. Granted, I do eventually have to clean up the casts when I'm done scanning.

I will give it a try though, and see if I trim the upper or lower if it transfers over to the bite scan.

Not trying to contradict you and your friend, what I also like about the order it's in, is after doing the preparation scan I can take the die(s) out of the the working cast and be setting those in the putty while doing the antagonist and bite scan (you don't need those in when doing the bite scan).

Also, with all of the scans when it says processing, you can take the plate off and load the other plate and be ready to go with the next scan. It really moves the scanning process along quickly :)
when scanning a bite with the orbix articulator, i just use a rubber band, when it comes to using the panadent articulator, i sude the rubber band provided with the E4 scanner.