Scan Bodies

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Where is a good place to get scan bodies? Straight from the manufacture? Or does someone sell a kit with popular bands like Nobel Astra Strauman and so on. Well those are the ones we use the most anyway. Thanks for any info or leads to get a kit.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Purchase scan bodies from the entity that you want to manufacture abutments and other implant related components from. Most implant manufacturers have their own milling facility, so you would use their scan bodies. There are other 3rd party manufacturers that you'll have to research as well. Wherever you purchase them from, you will also need to use their components (screws, etc.).

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Glidewell from glidewell. Desks from dess, Nobel frokm Nobel or elos, straumann from straumann, tru abutment from tru abutment, etc..... same for the corosponding library.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Eh hem...o_O@Sevan P

Geez...no love!

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
The Digital workflow is a chain. You have to have all matching links, meaning scan body with matching digital library, with matching restoration. If you want to do Variobase for example, you need Straumann's scan body, their DME and an original Variobase.

It's currently a really messy situation where every implant company and every restoration vendor has their own solution, so it's a case-by-case basis most of the time.
Some companies have it all together, like Straumann and Nobel, but others are late to the party, so you'll need to turn to third parties, some of which are excellent in their own right.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
This is what I was thinking too. Just wanted to here what the experts had to say. Thanks

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Purchase scan bodies from the entity that you want to manufacture abutments and other implant related components from. Most implant manufacturers have their own milling facility, so you would use their scan bodies. There are other 3rd party manufacturers that you'll have to research as well. Wherever you purchase them from, you will also need to use their components (screws, etc.).
So am i able to do my own design or just scan and send it to them?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in the USA you can design, as long as scan body matches the systems in place at your CAM site.

whether or not you can manufacture now depends on whether or not you conform to the new 510k rules.

this is why a place like Vulcan as a milling partner, using their scan bodies, is a good ready-made turn key solution.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
in the USA you can design, as long as scan body matches the systems in place at your CAM site.

whether or not you can manufacture now depends on whether or not you conform to the new 510k rules.

this is why a place like Vulcan as a milling partner, using their scan bodies, is a good ready-made turn key solution.
So I have to have a scan body for wherever i get my abutments milled? Also the place i use now says they have to do the design. So tell me why i bought the implant module? Is this normal? Who do you recommend using to mill abutments that i can design if i choose? Do i need the implant module to scan a implant? Bunch of question i know but i know your good at answering them :Hello:

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
3shape makes you buy the implant module because it assumes you will be doing the design as well as the scan, so it prohibits you from scanning an implant case without the implant module. thats why you bought it; you rightly thought you'd be doing them.

then in 2015 the FDA decided this was a bad idea, and there was nothing could be done to separate the implant module from the scan suite.

other than that, most places outside the usa will accept files, under certain circumstances. but not everyone, and not every abutment, because the export function is different for every kind of CAM. for example in Delcam (now defunkt) it did not want any of the abutment below the interface, because that area is premill, so unimportant extra information.

Nobel will let you design, as will Cerec. but you wont get titanium out of an MCXL and Nobel takes an age to get your case back.

best case scenario talk to milling centers like Axis, Alien milling, and others. each center is unique setup.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
So I have to have a scan body for wherever i get my abutments milled? Also the place i use now says they have to do the design. So tell me why i bought the implant module? Is this normal? Who do you recommend using to mill abutments that i can design if i choose? Do i need the implant module to scan a implant? Bunch of question i know but i know your good at answering them :Hello:

Atlantis...as far as their designing for you? This is only personal preference, but I tend to go to the sanctioned milling centers for my designed abutments (3Shape),like (showing you some love, Kent :) ) Vulcan Milling for my BioHorizons, and ZimmerBiomet for my Zimmer abutments. They do provide their own scan bodies.

I figure an implant case for me is the most expensive restorative case I do, why chance it with a 3rd party milled abutment. The Drs don't mind if it costs a bit more, and they like that peace of mind, too.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
3shape makes you buy the implant module because it assumes you will be doing the design as well as the scan, so it prohibits you from scanning an implant case without the implant module. thats why you bought it; you rightly thought you'd be doing them.

then in 2015 the FDA decided this was a bad idea, and there was nothing could be done to separate the implant module from the scan suite.

other than that, most places outside the usa will accept files, under certain circumstances. but not everyone, and not every abutment, because the export function is different for every kind of CAM. for example in Delcam (now defunkt) it did not want any of the abutment below the interface, because that area is premill, so unimportant extra information.

Nobel will let you design, as will Cerec. but you wont get titanium out of an MCXL and Nobel takes an age to get your case back.

best case scenario talk to milling centers like Axis, Alien milling, and others. each center is unique setup.
Well I will have exocad. I bought a DOF HD and I bought the implant module. I hope I can do some design. I will call axis and see what I can do with them too. Thanks

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Atlantis...as far as their designing for you? This is only personal preference, but I tend to go to the sanctioned milling centers for my designed abutments (3Shape),like (showing you some love, Kent :) ) Vulcan Milling for my BioHorizons, and ZimmerBiomet for my Zimmer abutments. They do provide their own scan bodies.

I figure an implant case for me is the most expensive restorative case I do, why chance it with a 3rd party milled abutment. The Drs don't mind if it costs a bit more, and they like that peace of mind, too.
Most of the time we do Nobel or Astra and I used to use Atlantis most of the time but I hated getting that 4 to 5 thousand dollar bill ever month. And to be honest if you do your research 3rd party centers I have found do a great job and I have never had any problems. Just today I found out that I could not use the same company if I want to design my own abutment. So I'm an the look out for someone else. Thanks for your feedback. I need all the help I can get. Lol

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score

I just thought i needed to have a implant module to do implants.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I just thought i needed to have a implant module to do implants.
you do, but in 3shape you even need it in order to scan an implant case.

not the same situation in exocad.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Most of the time we do Nobel or Astra and I used to use Atlantis most of the time but I hated getting that 4 to 5 thousand dollar bill ever month. And to be honest if you do your research 3rd party centers I have found do a great job and I have never had any problems. Just today I found out that I could not use the same company if I want to design my own abutment. So I'm an the look out for someone else. Thanks for your feedback. I need all the help I can get. Lol

With how much you're spending a month on abutments, 3rd party makes sense compared to my 1 man lab in which I do 2-5 abutments a month.

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score

Yes, absolutely can control the design and send them the files to mill. Some systems allow you to mill your own Zr in house. Usually, OEM companies are going to require the Titanium aspect of your cases to be milled by them.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score

Canadian too!

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
you do, but in 3shape you even need it in order to scan an implant case.

not the same situation in exocad.
Well the lab i use to do my abutments say they will give me 3 free scan bodies. And others are 54 bucks each. To me that sounds a little bit much on price but maybe thats normal? They use Medentika scan bodies. Whacha think?

Top Bottom