Scan and print a model

annsman

annsman

Reaction score
We have the E3 scanner and the formlabs 2 printer. Anyone have success scanning a model and sending it to the printers as an stl?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Piece of cake with Exo... just saying Vroam

doug

doug

Reaction score
We do it all the time with Exocad. I especially like to scan my diagnostic wax-ups and print them so when the doc drops it it just bounces. No rewax needed.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
We do it all the time with Exocad. I especially like to scan my diagnostic wax-ups and print them so when the doc drops it it just bounces. No rewax needed.
You could just wax it up digitally, saving you some manual labor ;)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
silly question....if you have a model, why would you scan it to print another model?

annsman

annsman

Reaction score
I still do Dx wax ups by hand. I would like to scan the wax and print it so I can make a suck down, and also don't have to worry about damage in transit.

HygienicBee

HygienicBee

Reaction score
We do this often when it comes to wax ups, whether it was done by hand or digitally. Sometimes if the doctor does not send us a bite reg we will print out the IO scan and then scan using a 3shape scanner after articulating.

annsman

annsman

Reaction score
I am starting to feel like an idiot here. Can you walk me through it? We get to the point where its scanned , but it wont export to model builder.

HygienicBee

HygienicBee

Reaction score
When creating a case you have to make sure your object type is an impression, then you must select a tooth (even when you're not working on one). Then you'll be able to select Model on the right side of the screen. From here you will import your scan data. This may not be exactly what you're looking for but this was how I was shown. By the way don't feel like an idiot, we've all got learning to do

P.S. Always make sure your case has the little yellow exclamation point on the scanner icon. That's how you know you can use model builder with it.