Rush case fee

J

JOL

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I just found this forum the other day and think its great to bounce ideas off one another.

I had an office where the assistants forgot to call me for a pickup last thursday. I delivered some other appliances yesterday at 4:30 PM and looked in the fridge to see if they had any impressions. There were two that had been sitting there since thursday. I checked the delivery date before I left and noticed they needed them back today at 1PM which would require about a 20 hour turnaround. I got them done on time and the orthodontist himself said you should charge a rush case fee.

So my question to you guys is what do you charge for a 24 hour turnaround time?

Thanks

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi JOL,
First, always check for work. If I "feel" there might be something somewhere ot pick up, I go, without a PU call.
This only works for me as it is 30 miles to town, then only a max of 5 min. between offices. (8)
As far as scheduling a rush goes, I do overnight, no charge. But, I don't get to many. I have a printed schedule for due dates I supply to the offices.
I do once in a while do overnight work without a call, people forget. Good to stay ahead of the game, give them something, cover their butts, you may need it someday as well. That sounds like what you just did.

Always double check those pick ups at that office. Guess I said that already didn't I.
Here's a copy of the goody I supply to all offices that are local.

Appliance return times for McKenzie Ortho.

For pick up and delivery-

Overnight work, example, Picked up on Monday night, returned on Tuesday night. Please limit to 4 appliances.

Regular schedule work, example, pick up Monday night, return by Wednesday or Thursday night.

Work pick up Wednesday to Friday night can be returned Sunday night, for a Monday morning delivery to patient. No limit on amount.

These turn around times are for ALL appliances.

This quick turn around allows for quicker placement of Functional and other begining appliances.

For overnight cases please call 888-996-0522.

Welcome to the site, enjoy.
Mike.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
HEY JOL, and Welcome!! Stick around a while!

Rape those Docs for every penny they have!!!:D

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
My rush fee is 25% compounded daily for everyday I take off the schedule.

So if something costs $100 and they want it back in two days instead of five the fee is:

1st day off: 100 + (100 x 25%) = 125
2nd day off: 125 + (125 x 25%) = 156.25
3rd day off: 156.25 + (156.25 x 25%) = 195.31

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
I really believe in Rush Case Fees and I think they are important to keep abuse of your time limited. With that said...in this economy I have softened my position. If we can get the work out without much of an extra effort and you are a decent account we will not charge you extra... even if it challenges our written policy. I know that it will be hard to reverse this when the economy recovers but I feel we owe our loyal accounts that have stuck with us when they have less costly options.

Regards,
Don

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Don,
I did charge at one time to keep abusive clients in line.
Since slowing down, I kept the great clients, let the rest go.
So many reasons for the client to use your time without thought. A lab must keep it in control from the start with any client.
I did find that charging extra did not always work, some just want more than is reasonable, and didn't care one bit about the extra charge.
Loyal accounts, level headed accounts, those are the ones that take you to the finish line with both parties happy.
Mike.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Hi JOL and welcome to the forum~

I would probably not charge for a quick turn around, especially with a good account. But, I would reiterate my pick up and delivery dates to them and make sure that it is just an oversight and does not become a habit. You can tell if your being taken advantage of or just a human error. If they realize you will go above and beyond to help out, then you are building goodwill~Priceless!

trisha

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Well, I do have the caveat that a rush does have to be a rush. If we can handle it without causing delay with other accounts or patients and without overtime or missed or excessively delayed lunches then no charge for our regular accounts in good standing. Then there are those guys you'd like to charge for every case they send as they are always in a rush.

A

ALITECH

Reaction score
My rush fee is 25% compounded daily for everyday I take off the schedule.

So if something costs $100 and they want it back in two days instead of five the fee is:

1st day off: 100 + (100 x 25%) = 125
2nd day off: 125 + (125 x 25%) = 156.25
3rd day off: 156.25 + (156.25 x 25%) = 195.31

HI JOL
After I read all the comments I like comments and suggestions CYNOSURER

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
This happens

Sounds like the assistants flopped and sounds like you have a GREAT account and nice doctor!
But I say *word* on a normal Rush charge!

chief26

chief26

Reaction score
i have rush policy...same day is 100% of the apliance price.....i have discounted the rush fee most of the time....it just keeps them from abusing it...

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. There are many choices that can be made with this. In order to foster a good relationship you can tell the doc you'll waive the rush fee this time but ensure he remind his staff about notifying you for pickup. ( Should you be also concerned that the impression sat in the refridgerator for almost a week? 2: Charge a rush, but discount a percentage and notify him of the discount. 3: Or charge him a full rush, no questions asked. He knows the situation and he said it was ok to charge. Remember you run a business and your time is worth something for the convienence.

Had one practice almost everything was a rush, I was a bit soft at first until I found out the assistants were the ones pushing because the volume of delivereg cases reflects on their bonuses. Since then I charge accordingly,,,,,since the dentists do not provide bonuses to us like they do their staff, I consider the rush charge .........my bonus.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
( Should you be also concerned that the impression sat in the refridgerator for almost a week? 2: Charge a rush, but discount a percentage and notify him of the discount. 3: Or charge him a full rush, no questions asked. He knows the situation and he said it was ok to charge. Remember you run a business and your time is worth something for the convienence.
My first concern, when I see improper model handeling, I mark the impression with a Green magic marker and tell them to get the patient in for a new impression, if I see that green mark on a model, I refuse the case. Sounds to me like careless staff creating a remake for your efforts, and when they get the Patient in they can reschedule properly.
I do like the well thought rush fees, from Tim, good job!