rotation mystery

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I've had a few returns where the implant is rotated in the mouth. Here's the facts
- Trios scan
-Straumann WN scan body
-dr verified seating of scan body with xrays.
-scan body is aligned in software and designed for a split file. Abutment to Straumann, crown and model sent to Argen.
-the implant crown fits fine on model but rotated in the mouth.
I suspect the WN peek scan body is worn . It seats but the hex could be rounded. When screw is tightened it rotates slightly and give a false reading. However the dr claims it is a newer scan body. I will be inspecting the scan body with 10x although dr says it looks fine under 3x loops.
Any suggestions?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive had that happen too, only like 1 degree off for whatever reason. This happened with an astra. Only 1 of the 2 adjacent crowns were rotated..

Could be over-torquing like you say, and rotating past where it should be.. I dont know, but I hate when that happens.. I also question how well the abutments actually align sometimes, but shouldnt be completely rotated.. Some abutments like implant direct have libraries with varying degrees, Im not sure if that is used to change the angle of an angled abutment or.. Hmmmm2

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I've had a few returns where the implant is rotated in the mouth. Here's the facts
- Trios scan
-Straumann WN scan body
-dr verified seating of scan body with xrays.
-scan body is aligned in software and designed for a split file. Abutment to Straumann, crown and model sent to Argen.
-the implant crown fits fine on model but rotated in the mouth.
I suspect the WN peek scan body is worn . It seats but the hex could be rounded. When screw is tightened it rotates slightly and give a false reading. However the dr claims it is a newer scan body. I will be inspecting the scan body with 10x although dr says it looks fine under 3x loops.
Any suggestions?
how far rotated?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
60' is a lot of movement
Good point Doug, I was assuming it was one hex but it seemed more like about 30 degrees.
So this leads me to suspect the scan body was worn which would negate the hex.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Good point Doug, I was assuming it was one hex but it seemed more like about 30 degrees.
So this leads me to suspect the scan body was worn which would negate the hex.
30' is about the right size to see a WN body rotate around a RN implant.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Probably by one hex.
The mesial contact is open and it seems to rotate clockwise which I suspect is from tightening.
thats a rather large difference. any chance the scan body wasnt seated fully? i know you said it was verified, but an entire hex shift is a ton.
nvm, just saw your other message regarding 30' and not a full hex.

these sort of situations i request an analog impression and compare the two. ive found "verified by x-ray" scan bodies not seated fully in the past. usually because the tissue depth changes too (once the scan body or imp post is finally fully seated). not trying to beat up the Dr. just tossing out ideas.

A

a3dl

Reaction score
IS it the Peek scanbody from straumann that can fatigue?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
thats a rather large difference. any chance the scan body wasnt seated fully? i know you said it was verified, but an entire hex shift is a ton.
nvm, just saw your other message regarding 30' and not a full hex.

these sort of situations i request an analog impression and compare the two. ive found "verified by x-ray" scan bodies not seated fully in the past. usually because the tissue depth changes too (once the scan body or imp post is finally fully seated). not trying to beat up the Dr. just tossing out ideas.
I don’t think the dr has any pvs or impression copings. We have been IOS since 2014

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe a 3shape glitch processing the geometry or model? Pcguru

Maybe what you see on the screen isnt the output you get in the stl..

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Maybe a 3shape glitch processing the geometry or model? Pcguru

Maybe what you see on the screen isnt the output you get in the stl..
Just for WN ? All other platforms are fine and I haven’t upgraded since 2021.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
This happened to me long time ago, when I still used 3sheep. --> PVS impression, model scanned with a scanbody, crown milled, anti rotation dimple on the Ti insert was 90 degrees off... long story short, it was the implant lib's fault, the base geometry was rotated. Solution: fire up the 3D editor and de-rotate the scanbody files.

What could be done is to take a PVS impression on the same patient and compare it to the printed model, then go from there. It is most likely the implant lib. IMO

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This happened to me long time ago, when I still used 3sheep. --> PVS impression, model scanned with a scanbody, crown milled, anti rotation dimple on the Ti insert was 90 degrees off... long story short, it was the implant lib's fault, the base geometry was rotated. Solution: fire up the 3D editor and de-rotate the scanbody files.

What could be done is to take a PVS impression on the same patient and compare it to the printed model, then go from there. It is most likely the implant lib. IMO
hy would the library change from a few months ago? Should I have Straumann reinstall the dme file?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
would the windows 11 upgrade change the library?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I don’t think the dr has any pvs or impression copings. We have been IOS since 2014
well that seems silly.
i have a computer but i still have a piece of paper and pen!

when you figure it out, i would love to hear whats been going on. helps me troubleshoot on this end when it pops up....and eventually it will

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Blaming the computer is always better than blaming yourself or the dentist. Windows updates always make my computer dumber.. The computer Im on now is still on Windows 7

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Likely the Library file, or a glitch in the matrix....