Roland DWX 52DCi vs 52D

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!!

I would like to ask if the 52D is faster than the DCi? How long does it take to mill a single molar? Anterior? 3unit bridge? Preparation time?

i would really appreciate your input.

thank you and have a good day!!!

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
We have both of these machines. The 52D is slightly faster as it does not have to change pucks. The DCi takes a couple minutes to grab the puck and load it for milling. Both machines are good work horse machines. We like the DCi since we can load it in the afternoon and mill over night. Depends on how you will set up your workflow. Single molars take 20-30 minutes to mill. Three unit bridges take about an hour or so. Hope that helps.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
We have both of these machines. The 52D is slightly faster as it does not have to change pucks. The DCi takes a couple minutes to grab the puck and load it for milling. Both machines are good work horse machines. We like the DCi since we can load it in the afternoon and mill over night. Depends on how you will set up your workflow. Single molars take 20-30 minutes to mill. Three unit bridges take about an hour or so. Hope that helps.

20-30 minutes for a single molar? I've seen here and there on this forum a molar taking around 20 minutes to mill. Why would it take 30 minutes?

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
Waiting for the DCi to get the puck adds time. Should have been a little more clear.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That's what I was kind of thinking, when you previously mentioned that time involved.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
20-30 minutes for a single molar? I've seen here and there on this forum a molar taking around 20 minutes to mill. Why would it take 30 minutes?
Well it depends on the strategy, size of the crown and size of the disk. Also are you using 2, 3 or 4 tools to mill it. Also are you cutting the connectors at the end etc. So according to that it is impossible to have the crown every time around 20 minutes.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Well it depends on the strategy, size of the crown and size of the disk. Also are you using 2, 3 or 4 tools to mill it. Also are you cutting the connectors at the end etc. So according to that it is impossible to have the crown every time around 20 minutes.

With the Ivoclar specific Wieland cam, I've never had a single molar take longer than 20 minutes to mill, using 3 burs. BUT, this is with a 4 axis mill, so that's also spoiled me with shorter mill times. I live a pretty sheltered and basic CAD/CAM life.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Is wieland rebranded VHF?

As far as the Mini mill, yes, as far as their cam/cnc software, that's a good question. Maybe Sevan would know that answer.

The Wieland Mini mill having been made by vhf, has the Wieland cam, so again, good question as far as their having a hand in the software development.

I don't know what the Programills use, as those mills were made "in house" by Ivoclar. The new Dry mill is made by VHF, and I'm not sure how different that cam will be compared to the Mini cam, and if they would be compatible, my sales rep wasn't sure either.

edit: better clarification

Last edited:
R

Raffi M.

Reaction score
any problems with the dci? puck changer has me scared just another thing that can break

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
any problems with the dci? puck changer has me scared just another thing that can break
Had ours for awhile and no issues related to mills. The milling software can get buggy once in awhile but overall very happy with the DCi. It's nice coming into the lab in the morning and having all the crowns already milled.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
on my 51D, single molars are 14-18min. premolars/anteriors run 12-16min. small lower anteriors are 8-11min.

i think times can be adjusted some by nailing down tooling strategies and minimizing wasted time, back tracking the mill, and streamlining needed tool paths.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
on my 51D, single molars are 14-18min. premolars/anteriors run 12-16min. small lower anteriors are 8-11min.

i think times can be adjusted some by nailing down tooling strategies and minimizing wasted time, back tracking the mill, and streamlining needed tool paths.

That sounds closer to normal. Will you train me to run the 51D so that I can do that in-between building porcelain and working with MiYO?

Top Bottom