Roland dwx 52dci lines on zirconia crown surface???

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Well it is strange as I am updating Roland's version of Millbox. How can they put up software, that is not working correctly? For me it is good bye for this company, will change them one-by-one. I have had problems for over a year now and there is nothing mechanical wrong with the machines. I got a brand new one by the end of the last year and the problems were there right out of the box.
Unfortunately it's not uncommon. I mean 3Shape puts out non functional software pretty much every year yet plenty of people still use it, myself included. Unfortunately the milling software issues we are referencing don't seem to have the same type of workarounds as design software.

Too me based on the information gotten through the process of trouble shooting Rolands with direct help from Roland that they have lowered their standards to accomplish something that I'm sure they feel is worth it (maybe save money, maybe trying to accomplish faster mill times, I don't want to assume it's for bad reasons). Hopefully they will realize people are noticing and aren't please and they will correct their course

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
Hi we have Sierra Nano-Di burs burs and a Roland 52dwx-dci, an a week a go we started having chipping and breaking problems. We have done everything but nothing. It's worst for the anteriors. It's a madness, We updated the vpanel software, firmware, driver. Still nothing. We have done corrections, collet cleaning. Our spindle has 700 hours.
What we haven't done yet is:
- Update millbox, we have 2019 version. Zahn is telling us we have to pay a license to get an updated version.
- We have a new spindle in stock. Should I change it?
Please any advice could be very helpful.

B

barath

Reaction score
The parting line issue is due to improper calibration. While the machine is calibrated the machine finds the center of rotation of the disk holder. If the calibration process ends up finding a wrong center eg: 50um away from actual center along one of the axis, Then when A axis makes 180 degree the parting line of 100um forms at the junction of 0 and 180. The reason for this might be loss of steps in stepper motors, faulty drivers or crooked machine . It has nothing to do with spindle or machining strategy. The best way to find this is to mill a cube and measure its dimensions and analyze which axis is the parting line resulting from.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
The parting line issue is due to improper calibration. While the machine is calibrated the machine finds the center of rotation of the disk holder. If the calibration process ends up finding a wrong center eg: 50um away from actual center along one of the axis, Then when A axis makes 180 degree the parting line of 100um forms at the junction of 0 and 180. The reason for this might be loss of steps in stepper motors, faulty drivers or crooked machine . It has nothing to do with spindle or machining strategy. The best way to find this is to mill a cube and measure its dimensions and analyze which axis is the parting line resulting from.
Just for the information that I had the lines with brand new 52DCi out of the box. After numerous calibrations etc. it did not get any better. I had 3 machines with different age, but they all had the same bad outcome. I had rails or something like that changed with one machine and still no difference. If you look the roland group in facebook, then it is now common knowledge, that Roland will have lines on the crowns, so you get what you pay for. I can suggest it to be the firs milling machine, as it is easy to handle and maintain, but if you want a really good outcome, then look away.

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
There are a range of reasons you can get strong parting lines, some of which can't be fixed with calibration. In our case the gears on the rotaries were worn and there was just too much play + runout for a calibration to matter. After replacing the rotaries, and upgrading the worn stock ballscrews (which are roll-formed! nobody else roll-forms a ballscrew and calls it a finished product!!) to proper aftermarket ground ballscrews, the issue has been greatly reduced for us. Calibration still matters, of course, but we wasted a lot of time trying to fix our issues with manual calibrations and auto-corrections.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
the toolpaths can infact produce the lines.

so don't be so quick to scuff a mill for being bad quality if you can't verify the cam.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I milled a job calculated from another CAM and 0 difference. People are trying Millbox AND HyperDENT with the same outcome.