Roland dwx 52dci lines on zirconia crown surface???

M

muelasrus

Reaction score
Roland dwx 52dci lines on zirconia crown surface??? Milling Issue ???

M

muelasrus

Reaction score
Hello, Does anyone know how to tighten the Front Square Piece/Part that holds the Spindle & on a DWX 52DCI Machine? My crowns have Horizontal lines drawn on them. Spindle Tightening & Auto Correction performed with no Errors. Anything shared is appreciated, thansk

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

Merged your threads.

Just keeping the conversation together much as possible being the same issue, and machine.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I am assuming the horizontal line you are talking about is the transition line between the top and bottom of the crown when the mill turns the puck over. Have you calibrated recently? That would be the first thing I would do. Pictures would be helpful also.

MrMolar

MrMolar

Reaction score
Some pictures would be helpful for this.

Theres always a line on the "height of contour" between the top and bottom of the puck.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I also have a thread about this type of thing. We have pursued it to the point that Roland just shipped us a brand new mill because they can't figure it out. I believe that it is something to do with Rolands strategies. In our efforts to figure out what is going we discovered that Roland is doing all of their calibrations on wax, and I believe they may also only be using wax to develop strategies now. If this is the case I don't think results are going to improve

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
Here is my two cents. We recently have had major issue with parting lines on out 52DCI. Fortunately we are under warranty still. Had the traverse and the spindle changed out and all firmware and software updated. We did everything from Spindle Tightening & Auto Correction prior to coming up with this solution. It has fixed everything and the mill has not had an error or parting line since. Now our 52D is showing the same issue with parting lines and the spindles are on back order. If you still have the option to buy extended warranty, do so. Both spindles have less than 2000 hours on them. Just took delivery on the mills last February of 2020. I wasn't here for the decision on these machines.

Attachments

• Parting lines.jpg
    Parting lines.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 127
npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Here is my two cents. We recently have had major issue with parting lines on out 52DCI. Fortunately we are under warranty still. Had the traverse and the spindle changed out and all firmware and software updated. We did everything from Spindle Tightening & Auto Correction prior to coming up with this solution. It has fixed everything and the mill has not had an error or parting line since. Now our 52D is showing the same issue with parting lines and the spindles are on back order. If you still have the option to buy extended warranty, do so. Both spindles have less than 2000 hours on them. Just took delivery on the mills last February of 2020. I wasn't here for the decision on these machines.
Which of the things you listed did you determine was the actual fix?

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hello, Does anyone know how to tighten the Front Square Piece/Part that holds the Spindle & on a DWX 52DCI Machine? My crowns have Horizontal lines drawn on them. Spindle Tightening & Auto Correction performed with no Errors. Anything shared is appreciated, thansk
I have 2 machines one from Zhan and the other from CAP. The cap one does these lines but not the Zhan one and they are different strategies. But one time I tried to reposition the sprues and it worked for me. Worth a try.

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
Finding that the spindles were the issue here.

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
Well after two weeks my 52DCI is now showing parting lines again. Just changed the spindle in my 52D and parting lines disappeared, will see how that goes. Got another service request with Zahn for the DCI. Both of these machines were delivered to us in February 2020. The old D50's didn't have this many issues we had before.

Attachments

• IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 96
K

kshim

Reaction score
i've noticed i only get lines similar to that when i use a higher strength zirconia i.e. - 1200mpa
i mostly use 750mpa and don't get lines in those
could be the mill settings_ speed, type of bur assigned etc.

BTW i'm using Roland DWX 51D

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
i've noticed i only get lines similar to that when i use a higher strength zirconia i.e. - 1200mpa
i mostly use 750mpa and don't get lines in those
could be the mill settings_ speed, type of bur assigned etc.

BTW i'm using Roland DWX 51D
We use both 1200 and 750 in this machine. Both strengths getting the same results. Even tried slowing the speed a bit. I really think the spindles are possibly defective with reasonable doubt. Using diamond coated tools and assigned properly. Frustrating as heck. Can't go down for a week again with only one mill running. I'll have to see if my techs want to move in.🤬

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Well after two weeks my 52DCI is now showing parting lines again. Just changed the spindle in my 52D and parting lines disappeared, will see how that goes. Got another service request with Zahn for the DCI. Both of these machines were delivered to us in February 2020. The old D50's didn't have this many issues we had before.
Those are the same lines we see in our milling results, with our 52dci and 51, we replaced the spindle but it’s still having the same exact issue, so we have a brand new one from Roland we have to hook up, after we complained enough about it. Tell me if you ever find a fix for this.

Darren S

Darren S

Reaction score
The parting lines are getting worse by the day. I've done everything Roland has asked and they seem to want to drag their feet. I'm telling them to just send us a new mill.

Attachments

• IMG_3790.jpg
    IMG_3790.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3791.jpg
    IMG_3791.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3794.jpg
    IMG_3794.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Parting lines.jpg
    Parting lines.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 91
tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to switch the computer, that is controlling the milling machine?

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
This was inevitable. Remember when you bought the new car, It was so quiet, barely knew it was idling. Couple years later, you might hear a squeak, a rattle, a heat shield pop.

These mills are still machines and as they are pushed, slight tolerances will open and you will see anomalies.
And like a car, you'll have to judge the balance of throwing parts at it vs putting up with the squeak.

E

erykd1

Reaction score
I've been following a FB post in the Roland Mill User's Group that looks like a similar issue - after completely replacing the mills, the culprit was the windows 10 computer. Switching to a Win 7 with an older version of millbox seemed to fix the issue

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I've been following a FB post in the Roland Mill User's Group that looks like a similar issue - after completely replacing the mills, the culprit was the windows 10 computer. Switching to a Win 7 with an older version of millbox seemed to fix the issue
Not the craziest thing I've heard, but if referencing multiple threads on this, my impression is that the millbox version is more likely the factor than the computer or the windows version

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Well it is strange as I am updating Roland's version of Millbox. How can they put up software, that is not working correctly? For me it is good bye for this company, will change them one-by-one. I have had problems for over a year now and there is nothing mechanical wrong with the machines. I got a brand new one by the end of the last year and the problems were there right out of the box.