Roland DWX-52DC Dental Mill - what to think of?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
yeah, i missed the training day with CAP when they came to install, but they accidentally installed everything on an Admin active directory, so it's technically non operational until we get it reinstalled onto the proper Active Directory.

I'll have to ask the CAM technician what his thoughts were, but it looks cool as hell

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
We have Roland dxw 50 mill
Any suggestions on buying replacement burs ?
Seems we are not getting the full bur life out of current burs only about 50% of the suggested use
Milling Argen Z disks -pmma and a little wax

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if you are getting short bur life then adjust your milling parameters because something is very wrong.

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
Z and pmma are different ( 2sets)

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
Began getting horizontal lines on Z mills
Any thoughts ? image.jpg

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
if you are getting short bur life then adjust your milling parameters because something is very wrong.
I do not do the milling so I am a little naive
What milling parameters would you suggest changing or what ur mill parameters are
Thank you in advance for any and all help

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
points to consider:

1. not all makers of CAM are set up to have the same milling strategy, or use the same template to create toolpaths. not all are created equal. this means modifying the process of one may not mean the same to another.

2. from your picture it would seem like the external finishing routine is doing one or more of the following: A: using too large of a tool, B: using too large of a step, C: skipping some steps, D: getting skipped due to glitching in the software, E: engaging too aggressively, F: miscalculating due to noise.

3. desktop machines are highly subsceptible to wobble in their tabletops. if the table upon which the roland sits is flimsy or not sturdy, or is occupied by an identical mill, the table vibration will translate into the machine and make life miserable for your zirconia.

4. diagnosing any of this is very hard to do with a single picture and no history. especially if you arent doing the milling yourself; why havent you worked with your mill operator to find out whats going on?

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
The problems have just been brought to my attention and I will be sitting with him today moving forward to make sure we get this under control
Thanks for the help

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
we bought one. waiting for delivery.

i will tell you exactly where i think the problems will arise.

the door from disc chamber to mill area is magnetic....dust will go in and out for sure. The vacuum is only connected to the milling side. The screw rails are exposed (at least at IDS, maybe won't be for production) in the disc chamber - again, easy to gunk up over time.

beyond that, should be pretty much the same and as reliable as the 50DWX and 51DWX. We currently have 4x 51 DWX running.

We are hoping mill box will let us Q up and help us diversify as we get into more and more different puck types.

We have sold many hundreds of Roland mills. Never taken one back due to customer dissatisfaction and Roland is the best when t comes to support. The DWX-50 was likely the mill that made milling in labs mainstream. The 50 did have a lot of plastic. The new DWX-51D is metal. In addition, they moved from wire drive system to the more conventional ball screws in the 51. The 50 had the rails exposed inside the mill chamber. The 51 has two compartments, the mill chamber and a second, in the back to keep the components clean. In addition, the suction for the mill keeps a negative air pressure inside the mill chamber. This makes for air moving into the mill from all cracks or seams in the door which reduces or eliminates dust from getting out of the mill during milling. Other improvements over the 50:
1. Users can replace the spindle when needed. No need to ship your mill
2. The spindle is inexpensive, under $2K. We have had several last 5k hours.
3. A funnel-shaped mill chamber that enhances dust collection.
4. The 51 comes with an ionizer to eliminate static when milling PMMA, resulting in a cleaner mill.
5. New clamping system that will allow end milling for large Izir type cases.
You will not go wrong with a Roland. it is priced affordably and designed to provide years of trouble free milling.
I checked out the mills at CAP last week and found that our oldest mill has been running for over 12K hours, resulting in the production of 36,000 units. I did this as Sam and I did a webinar on the 51 & 52DC (disc changer). You can view it here.
http://cap-us.com/events/webinars/

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
sorry to beat on cap again here, but i was having horrible results with the tools i was getting from them. far less than half the life they should have been getting.
i have since tried a handful others and have stuck with TD and their burs for the time being. i am getting nearly 3x the life out of them and they are a rather large sum of capital less expensive. i have easily saved $1000 or more with that switch since last fall.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
sorry to beat on cap again here, but i was having horrible results with the tools i was getting from them. far less than half the life they should have been getting.
i have since tried a handful others and have stuck with TD and their burs for the time being. i am getting nearly 3x the life out of them and they are a rather large sum of capital less expensive. i have easily saved $1000 or more with that switch since last fall.

Thanks for the kind words @sidesh0wb0b ! We try to keep our pricing reasonable for all size labs.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words @sidesh0wb0b ! We try to keep our pricing reasonable for all size labs.
price helps, don't get me wrong...but quality makes a big difference too.
cant charge me for a Bentley and expect me to be happy with a Kia!

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
price helps, don't get me wrong...but quality makes a big difference too.
cant charge me for a Bentley and expect me to be happy with a Kia!

Ooops I forgot to mention quality! Yes, the quality of these burs speak for themselves....they flippen rock! :Rock:

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Is Millbox included with the DWX 52DC purchase?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Is Millbox included with the DWX 52DC purchase?
If you buy it from cap most likely. Every retailer offers different software to run the mill, by usually all software is sold seperatly, or bundled together with the mill in a package deal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
If you have Sum 3D software you will need an upgrade to Mill Box. If not, CAP bundles Mill Box with the mill. The cost of Mill Box is the same as Sum 3D. This package come at an amazing price point.

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
I already have sum3D from CAP for my older DWX50 units, but I'm in the market for the new DC really amazing after watching your video about it.
Thanks Bob.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I already have sum3D from CAP for my older DWX50 units, but I'm in the market for the new DC really amazing after watching your video about it.
Thanks Bob.
No Problem, we have fun making the videos. I'm thinking this can really make sense for ANY lab at that pays someone to hang around at night and load mills(s). At about $35K it doesn't take long to get an ROI. I see this as the future as we mill more indications and materials. Dentures are almost here and can be milled. Yes, they will take a lot of time. Having the mill run 24/7 will really help. In addition, if you use a Muti or pre-shaded disc it makes the changing of discs much less of an interruption as you just put it in once calculated and forget about it. No need to jump up on a busy day to load an idle mill.
CAP is running a special on this mill ends Friday. I don't think we have ever sold it for less.

S

Streetglider1965

Reaction score
yeah, i missed the training day with CAP when they came to install, but they accidentally installed everything on an Admin active directory, so it's technically non operational until we get it reinstalled onto the proper Active Directory.

I'll have to ask the CAM technician what his thoughts were, but it looks cool as hell
Can you give us an update on your thoughts regarding this mill? I'm considering a purchase and am curious how the DC is working.

Top Bottom