Roland DWX-52D Puck Clamping Improvements?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Hey all,
We've got a fleet of DWX52D+52dci's that are currently giving us a whole lot of grief; that's it's own thread. One problem I want to deal with to help narrow things down is the puck fixturing on the 52Ds. Those little twist-cam clamps are pretty awful, and over time they loosen up and get even worse. I'm suspecting that at least some of our issues are down to the stock shifting during machining- in one case it was reported that the clamp completely opened during a job, ruining the part, so I bet there's even more movement we're not catching.

I'd much rather we abandoned the cam clamps altogether for one of the more reliable systems used by the 51 or the 52dci, but that probably isn't practical; what are my options here, aside from reassembling the clamp components to remove any slack and replacing any clamp components that are worn?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
Update on this- we probably get pucks coming loose mid-milling about once per week per mill at this point, I made an inquiry about upgrading to the ball-bearing spring-retention clamping system that comes stock on the 52DC and DCI, and they said upgrades aren't possible as the systems aren't cross-compatible. Is that true? The hardware looks extremely similar, we're fine with changing the adapter styles we use to be compatible if it'd help reduce the constant low-grade tool breaking the older style cam clamps are causing. We could also get the clamps replaced with unworn new parts, but I'd really like to abandon them altogether if possible, they just don't seem particularly secure a design if not used with great care.

E

erykd1

Reaction score
A few years ago, Marc Dixon (someone much smarter than me) posted a design and necessary files for a DWX-51 style C-Clamp for the 52. You have to get the parts machined via sendcutsend, protolabs, or some other fabricator, but it might be a solution for you
facebook.com/100000474511633/videos/5483693511656412/

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
A few years ago, Marc Dixon (someone much smarter than me) posted a design and necessary files for a DWX-51 style C-Clamp for the 52. You have to get the parts machined via sendcutsend, protolabs, or some other fabricator, but it might be a solution for you
facebook.com/100000474511633/videos/5483693511656412/

this is fantastic, thanks. Gonna 3D print a temp version in engineering resin just to play with it a bit, if it's as zippy as I'm hoping I'll farm the parts out to a buddy machinist to mill properly in metal.

Top Bottom