Roland DWX-51D and DWX-52DCi milling issues... or is it millbox?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
I want to add to the chorus of posts about bur marks and gouged margins; we've been having nothing but problems with parts off our Rolands for months now, and it's getting worse. It's affecting all our mills and there's no clear pattern we can see, so I'm increasingly convinced it's a machining solution problem on Millbox's end. Endless calibrations, cleaning, service calls etc. have had no discernible impact one way or another.
From what I've seen in this thread, we're going to try switching to all-5-axis strategies immediately, and also update to the most recent version of Millbox from our 2019 edition if the 5-axis trick doesn't work.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hi we have Sierra Nano-Di burs burs and a Roland 52dwx-dci, an a week a go we started having chipping and breaking problems. We have done everything but nothing. It's worst for the anteriors. It's a madness, We updated the vpanel software, firmware, driver. Still nothing. We have done corrections, collet cleaning. Our spindle has 700 hours.
What we haven't done yet is:
- Update millbox, we have 2019 version. Zahn is telling us we have to pay a license to get an updated version.
- We have a new spindle in stock. Should I change it?
Please any advice could be very helpful.
if you have a spindle kicking around, might as well swap it just to cross that off the list of potential issues. if it doesnt resolve things, you arent out anything since you still have both

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
if you have a spindle kicking around, might as well swap it just to cross that off the list of potential issues. if it doesnt resolve things, you arent out anything since you still have both
I changed the spindle 2 hours ago, a the same results for the same pieces. I feel really bad :mad:

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I changed the spindle 2 hours ago, a the same results for the same pieces. I feel really bad :mad:
sounds like a mill issue. time to contact the support company! (reseller)

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to see if anybody else has any experience with this or if anybody has any thoughts on what might be causing it, so far our support lines haven't been able to help.

When milling with either the Roland 51 or 52 we are getting really noticeable parting line issues and the milling quality on the margin side of the parting line tends to be extremely rough and sometimes also has margin chipping. The results were even worse on the 52 and support had us send it back to Roland to have the Y axis ball screw replaced. The pictured results are from both mills and after the 52 was fixed. We have tried both 2019 and 2020 strategies in Millbox some provided by Zahn and some coming directly from Roland. So far those haven't made a difference. I have used Roland mills for over 10 years and have seen them mill much better than this and the fact that two different mills are getting the same results indicates to me that it is likely a strategy issue. I should also mention that we have tried different burs including what is recommended by Zahn (our reseller)

We have also done various other trouble shooting things such as calibrations and cleaning and greasing the poles that the milling part slides on (sorry for not knowing the technical terms here)

Anyways, any thoughts on what may be going on would be appreciated.

20210418_100210.jpg
20210420_122733.jpg
20210420_122042.jpg
I had the same issue a while ago one was the 2mm burr and the other was the puck was not secured in the holder tight.

Q

qusabh

Reaction score
I had the same issue a while ago one was the 2mm burr and the other was the puck was not secured in the holder tight.
When change puck mm bur and fixed the puck all things is good?