Roland DWX-51D and DWX-52DCi milling issues... or is it millbox?

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
2021/20right now. Been having exact same issues. Roland tech was out last fall and mill checked out with no problems. They went ahead and changed a Y gear or something because we were under warranty. Couple weeks later problem re-appeared getting worse daily. Problem seems to have coincided with getting a new computer and installing window 10 plus at the time version 17. We are now using version 20 sum 3D and problems have not gone away. Did you ever find a cure?
exact same issue hear, ended up complaining enough they replaced the entire mill, and now its back to where it was after a couple months of the brand new unit. Roland doesnt know how to fix it, been going on for two years.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
2021/20right now. Been having exact same issues. Roland tech was out last fall and mill checked out with no problems. They went ahead and changed a Y gear or something because we were under warranty. Couple weeks later problem re-appeared getting worse daily. Problem seems to have coincided with getting a new computer and installing window 10 plus at the time version 17. We are now using version 20 sum 3D and problems have not gone away. Did you ever find a cure?
I heard that Roland replaced the unit and that the replacement didn't still have the problem. It took probably 6months before they did that including them having the mill for over 3 months. I am fortunately no longer with that lab so I can't comment further other than, maybe buy something not made by Roland? which I know isn't particularly helpful at this point. It's unfortunate because I used to really love their product

E

Endzo

Reaction score
Had a bur snap because it stuck during a wax (veneer) mill. Immediatly started getting parting lines. Callibrated three times, spindle run-in, bur change test, re-tighten collet, re-boot and unplug computer, no change. Ran a mill on the 5 axis modes, and it completely solved the problem. Went back to 3+2 mode, no more lines. Been line-free for the last 20 units. Decided just to stick with 5 axis even though it takes a little longer.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to see if anybody else has any experience with this or if anybody has any thoughts on what might be causing it, so far our support lines haven't been able to help.

When milling with either the Roland 51 or 52 we are getting really noticeable parting line issues and the milling quality on the margin side of the parting line tends to be extremely rough and sometimes also has margin chipping. The results were even worse on the 52 and support had us send it back to Roland to have the Y axis ball screw replaced. The pictured results are from both mills and after the 52 was fixed. We have tried both 2019 and 2020 strategies in Millbox some provided by Zahn and some coming directly from Roland. So far those haven't made a difference. I have used Roland mills for over 10 years and have seen them mill much better than this and the fact that two different mills are getting the same results indicates to me that it is likely a strategy issue. I should also mention that we have tried different burs including what is recommended by Zahn (our reseller)

We have also done various other trouble shooting things such as calibrations and cleaning and greasing the poles that the milling part slides on (sorry for not knowing the technical terms here)

Anyways, any thoughts on what may be going on would be appreciated.

20210418_100210.jpg
20210420_122733.jpg
20210420_122042.jpg
I wa going to say it is a calibration issue but the chipping at the margin combined with this line at one time my puck was not tight and secured enough and was slightly moving. Unscrewing the puck was a loose one and this is how we found out what the problem was . Just keep an eye on that.

E

Endzo

Reaction score
Yesterday I posted That after trying all the usual maintenance, I ran a mill with the 5 axis auto inside and out. That has completely solved my problem, even going back to the 3+2 strategy.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Yesterday I posted That after trying all the usual maintenance, I ran a mill with the 5 axis auto inside and out. That has completely solved my problem, even going back to the 3+2 strategy.
I had the same problem, parting lines or transition lines. I saw this comment today and i tried it. It looks better using both 5axis. I can still see lines. I just put in a new spindle and spindle motor its on a 52d and dci and using Millbox.

I attached a picture, see how visible they are. It is more visible on bridges than single.

Do you think this is something related to software or strategies?

Im also contacting my reseller and cimssystem support.

Attachments

• B5D28015-87E4-4F38-BFEF-1D7551343AF3.jpeg
    B5D28015-87E4-4F38-BFEF-1D7551343AF3.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 44
tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I have had this problem over 2 years and have tried absolutely everything. Changed rails, spindels, tried different strategies, burs etc. These lines appeared also with new 52DCi. I got Imes 350i and the difference is massive so I am selling all my rolands.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
What kind of bur are you using? The one made by roland?

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
I had the same problem, parting lines or transition lines. I saw this comment today and i tried it. It looks better using both 5axis. I can still see lines. I just put in a new spindle and spindle motor its on a 52d and dci and using Millbox.

I attached a picture, see how visible they are. It is more visible on bridges than single.

Do you think this is something related to software or strategies?

Im also contacting my reseller and cimssystem support.
I wanted to give you guys update on this. I have been in touch with CIMSystem support about the lines on milled crowns. So i sent them the Millbox support file, they analyze it, they figure out that when nesting there was a problem in calculation on millbox.

The Fix, was to update millbox to the latest. After upgrading from 2019 to 2021, we have never update the software, plus no updates are pushed from our reseller, also they hardly release their updates. Plus i wasnt well informed about updates, i could have done it myself. CIMSystem support sent me the latest update file (May 5th 2022 released),i did the update and the line was gone when mill ( but only when using 5axis on both) if i use 3+2axis and 5axis i get bur marks. I am ok with that but will still try to figure out why it does that. Could be hardware issue or still software issue? Mills are calibrated and new bur, new spindle, new collet, new spindle motor.

I am glad though the lines are gone for now (it look exactly like the equator line). I somehow thought it was, as it is on the same spot as the equator line.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
I have had this problem over 2 years and have tried absolutely everything. Changed rails, spindels, tried different strategies, burs etc. These lines appeared also with new 52DCi. I got Imes 350i and the difference is massive so I am selling all my rolands.
Did you update your millbox software?

That is what i did today on mine, CIMSystem told me to update millbox, they sent me the latest update released on May 5th 2022. the lines are gone ( but i still got bur marks when using 2+3 and 5axis) both 5axis looks as it is supposed to be. So I’m milling both 5axis for now.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I have updated millbox all years long and there have been no difference. I have never used 5axis undercut milling by default as it makes no sense when there are no undercuts.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
I have updated millbox all years long and there have been no difference. I have never used 5axis undercut milling by default as it makes no sense when there are no undercuts.
Well there may be no undercuts but it works for me so. I somehow thought its a hardware issue on mine. Im glad it wasn’t. Those line just looks like the equator lines on the crowns.

When i mill default i get bur marks. Im thinking this is software issue as well. As the marks cannot be seen on 5axis.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I'm clad you found a solution, that works for you. Some are telling to use old millbox to get good jobs, others to use old laptop with windows 7 for controlling the machines etc. I don't think it is normal that company does not know its own machines to make them work.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
I'm clad you found a solution, that works for you. Some are telling to use old millbox to get good jobs, others to use old laptop with windows 7 for controlling the machines etc. I don't think it is normal that company does not know its own machines to make them work.
May be that they didn’t do enough test on their machines. I used to have a spindle issue with a noise. And they were telling me its normal. I keep on bugging them and they finally send a new one. The worst part is that not able to call them. Only online support and then they will email.

Can’t believe their tech by trouble shooting machine noise with a video, which i used to send them.

So have you sold your machines then? Or still using it? By the way how much is the cost of that new one you bought Imes350i?

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
How can it be the future if we have to use old sh#t to make it work?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
On paper the machines are sold but are handed over, when other 350s arrive. They stopped producing regular 350i machines so I had to take 350i pro machines and took one 250i pro also. 350i pro loader is 75k euro with VAT.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
I have had the same issues with all of my machines (3) for over 1.5 years now. There is no solution. For now I bought imes 350i loader and when that is up and running and the quality is good, I will just switch the machines one by one. Nothing else to do. I am sure it is caused by the software, but if roland itself does not know how to fix it, then it is time to find another company, that knows how to make things work.
If you still have issues. Try dgshape version of millbox, install it on a different pc as a test. Nest a file and take it to your mill computer to mill. Make sure to switch bur position. 1=1.0mm 2=2.0mm 3=0.06mm. Make sure you use roland bur.

Roland tech does came in to replace parts, adjust tool length. But still issue. I tried the above.

This is what i did and it came out really nice.
You can download millbox from their support site.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I did not even know there was possibility to use regular millbox with Roland mills. I have used only DG Shape version. I create the mill file and then send it to the milling computer, that has 3 mills attached. So no direct milling while calculating. The bur position has been the same from the beginning. I have used Datron burs, that had perfect result at the beginning but quality of the burs went down so I changed to Alien Tools. Original burs I have not used.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
Hi we have Sierra Nano-Di burs burs and a Roland 52dwx-dci, an a week a go we started having chipping and breaking problems. We have done everything but nothing. It's worst for the anteriors. It's a madness, We updated the vpanel software, firmware, driver. Still nothing. We have done corrections, collet cleaning. Our spindle has 700 hours.
What we haven't done yet is:
- Update millbox, we have 2019 version. Zahn is telling us we have to pay a license to get an updated version.
- We have a new spindle in stock. Should I change it?
Please any advice could be very helpful.