Roland Air milling - ghost toolpaths

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
Hey all!

I’ve been noticing my mill often just mills air before coming into contact with the puck. Sometimes during a toolpath, it will just be milling in space like it’s zirconia but it’s just air.
Is this normal?

Roland 52-D, Millbox most recent update, zirconia, hybrid full arch milling.

Appreciate your insights!
Cheers

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
The important question is, is this air cutting impacting your parts?
If not: It's normal in CNC milling for toolpaths to start with a positive offset from the stock and work their way into it, because they never know exactly where they "should" start cutting, and a little bit of wasted time cutting air is highly preferable to crashing the tool into the stock, almost always breaking the tool, damaging the mill and/or workpiece, or a little of all three. The stock is also never seated with its surface truly parallel to the machine's XY plane, so you often want to do a skim cut across the entire part area to mill in that true-parallel face that'll serve as the upper surface of the part being milled, and that always involves cutting a lot of air until the cutter is fully-engaged in the material at its intended depth of cut. You don't do the latter much in dental milling, but if you ever run calibration/accuracy test parts, you'll see this come into play.

If this air cutting is leaving your parts improperly-milled, then that is something else entirely, and is an issue, yes. The cause is hard to pin down without more info.

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
That is awesome info!! Thanks for taking the time to make a response. My milled parts look and fit great so I’m sure it’s exactly what you’re saying.

Thanks!