Ring flash suggestions

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
i'm using a Nikon d5000 with a Nikon macro lens. My photo quality is really hit and miss. I'm told that lighting is my issue. Any suggestions on a ring flash or even duals. There's so much out there. It's pretty confusing.

Thanks
Bob Hicks

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score
Use the Nikkor 105mm macro lens, R1 wireless flash (don't get commander module),shoot in Aperture Priority, ISO 200, high F-stop 32 or greater for macro shots. That ought to get ya going. Cheers.

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
Thanks. Just ordered the R1 flash.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I always suggest dual flash if you can afford it with the digital SLR's for the bench. Ring is great to have but it's more for the mouth rather for us lab studs to use!!!!

G

Gaetano

Reaction score
I agree. I am not using a Nikon but I have a dual flash for my Canon. I love the flash and I know there is a lot to learn. I think a dual is nice because you can recognize your line angles better. I have seen custom made filters made from yogurt lids or even craft paper. That can help limit your glare. Cheers!

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I need a lot of practice.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Once you get a handle on your lighting, you may find that you want to upgrade to the r1c1 unit by adding in the Su-800 module, you get a bit more flexibility in controlling your light, as well as IR control of off camera flashes, like the SB-600 and 800. Makes for a more elegant solution.

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed that the D5000 doesn't have flash commander mode built in so I had to purchase the SU 800. It hasn't arrived yet. i'm anxious to get shootin'.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Bob, are you using this for intra oral, or lab macro?

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Yes, I noticed that the D5000 doesn't have flash commander mode built in so I had to purchase the SU 800. It hasn't arrived yet. i'm anxious to get shootin'.

Nice, remember, you can add more of the flash heads to your setup, making a pretty sweet rig. I just bought two more flashes, so I will have 4 now, and I'm going to play with some 2 channel setups to try and enhance my intraorals a bit more.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Lab macro, mostly.

Have you considered using a light box and pumping the light in indirectly? it's a lot easier to deal with shadows and avoid specular highlights that way.
Even a basic set up like a light tent will take you really far.
I have something along these lines:

MK Photo-eBox PLUS - Photography System for Product & Jewelry Photography, Coins and small items

But it's really overkill for convenience sake a set up from Ritz like a white nylon cube will work wonders.

R

rhicks3302

Reaction score
I actually have a light box built from pvc pipe (Thanks TomZ). I works pretty well, though sometimes its in the way. Maybe the duals won't work as well but I was hoping to take more photos on the fly.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I understand. If you're trying to control highlights under those conditions, I've seen Aiba use a twin flash covered with translucent paper or a soft white cloth to diffuse it. You might want to try that.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
We lab techs generally shoot really small items. Rather than spending big bucks on extravagant light setups, flash heads and tents... you would be surprised what you can accomplish with a 1 gallon milk jug and the flash you already have. Whether its a ring or a twin or even a standard flash head - the milk gallon is diffuse enough to soften and change the incidence of light, depending on how you hold the light. Just do a cutaway on one side, not much bigger than the end of your lens. Put your subject inside, stick your lens into the hole, hold the light at an angle outside the jug and shoot away.

I've got thousands invested in several light setups, with plans to spend a lot more. That said - light is light! Learn how to color balance your camera for whatever you have and you can shoot amazing photos with a bare tungsten bulb!

Last edited: