Ring Flash/Dual Flash/Wing Flash

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if any of you had an opinion on this product. I'm looking to get a new camera setup for case documentation and custom shades.

I saw this in the Febuary Dental Lab Products magazine.

light, dental, macro, photography

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Hi Alistar, I have no experience with that particular set-up; ie: led. However I have used both ring flashes and duals. My preference is duals much better results in my opinion. There's a thread on here about photography by our resident pro, JonB; check out his thread and feel free to ask questions there. I believe someone mentioned those led type dual flashes and preferred those over the conventional dual flash. Good luck.

http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/f15/dental-photography-3004/

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks a bunch. I was looking for a thread like that, but couldn't find it! Answered almost all my questions in 5min. =)

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Glad to be of assistance.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I just saw this thread - so forgive my lax attention to all the other threads for the other one.
As to the LED flash - it looks like something I'd love to play with as long as it didn't cost too much. My browser shows the store is unavailable. I'm also betting they are available from other than a dental source - so you could get them cheaper without "intraoral" or "dental" attached to them.
You can't beat LEDs for even illumination but i would bet we'd have to do a custom WB on their output. The other thing that nags at me is my experience with LED ring lights on my microscopes haven't held up well. They get dim or burn out too quickly. Of course I use them daily while i use the Canon flash maybe two or three sessions a week for only a few shots each.
Thanks for the heads up on this one - I'm definitely going to look around and see what I find.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Jon, This is not a flash but can I use this as an auxillary directional light source?

002.jpg

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
You can use a flashlight if you custom WB! Anything goes.

***edit***

errr - well... anything goes as long as you're not mixing light sources with divergent color temps, although you can use the color as a design element.

Ask yourself: "what is going to be the primary light source" - then whatever other light you throw on it must either be to add interesting color effects or else needs to be "gelled" to make it similar to the primary source.

In this case - if the LEDs are fairly blue - and your primary is a ring or twin flash - you probably don't need to do anything. But if your primary is incandescent lights - then a light orange gel (cellophane sheet purchased at camera stores or B&H onine) will balance the color temp. Just cover the front of your LED light with the cellophane.

Rosco E-Colour #205 1/2 CT Orange 102302052124 B&H Photo Video

Gam GC1532 1/4 CTB Blue Cine Filter (20x24" Sheet) GC1532

Norman 810506 Color Gel Pack - 7 Assorted 10" Gel 810506

Last edited: