Retainers being loose

K

kirby85

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if someone could help me work out why the retainers are loose?

I do the norm of 3D printing my models, use the erkodent to thermoform and trim the retainer using scissors. (I do notice the 1mm tend to be loose compared to 0.76mm)

When I test the retainer on the 3d printed model, it fits well however some dentists say they are very loose.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The 1mm being looser makes me wonder if your foils are getting warm enough to form completely.

36DOL

36DOL

Reaction score
Sorry about my first reply. New to the forum and I made a mistake just repeating what you said.

In regards to your invisible retainer issue, did the patients you had issues with have swollen gums along the labial gingival of their teeth? This is a common issue, especially if you are an orthodontic lab dealing with kids who still have their braces on when the scan was taken. If you do not account for this swelling on the model, there is a good chance the retainer will be loose. What happens is, the doctor will take the braces off after sending the scan, the gum swelling will recede and by the time they receive the retainer, it will be loose because it was thermoformed to a model of that had swelling.

36DOL

36DOL

Reaction score
Sorry about my first reply. New to the forum and I made a mistake just repeating what you said.

In regards to your invisible retainer issue, did the patients you had issues with have swollen gums along the labial gingival of their teeth? This is a common issue, especially if you are an orthodontic lab dealing with kids who still have their braces on when the scan was taken. If you do not account for this swelling on the model, there is a good chance the retainer will be loose. What happens is, the doctor will take the braces off after sending the scan, the gum swelling will recede and by the time they receive the retainer, it will be loose because it was thermoformed to a model of that had swelling.
Let me clarify-They will take the braces off right before they seat the retainers. Some swelling will immediately recede, but once it completely recedes in time, then the retainer might be too loose, if precautions weren't taken during the fabrication process. It's a bit of a tricky situation, but it's best to craft the retainer to a model that will most accurately reflect what the gums will be like once the swelling completely recedes.

R

RVAToothFairy

Reaction score
Let me clarify-They will take the braces off right before they seat the retainers. Some swelling will immediately recede, but once it completely recedes in time, then the retainer might be too loose, if precautions weren't taken during the fabrication process. It's a bit of a tricky situation, but it's best to craft the retainer to a model that will most accurately reflect what the gums will be like once the swelling completely recedes.
Do you all print your final invisalign retainers/aligners digitally from an intraoral scan or do you still print 3D models and suction with thermoform?

Top Bottom