Restorations Du Jour

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thank you so much!! Yeah I noticed that, any idea what could be causing the pitts? I just started using Inline
The entry level time may be too short or the temp too high which is "boiling "the glaze so to speak.
Low and slow until you find the ideal time and temp.
Also maybe run a decontamination cycle if you have been firing porcelain to metal.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I’m not sure the pits are in the glaze. Looks more like it’s pits in the porcelain. 🤔

That's what I was wondering, as the sheen of the buccal almost looks hand polished or flour pumiced. The occlusion also looks to pristine, without any glaze filling in the secondary anatomy?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe raise temp 5C, on first bake and hold 1:20 ?
Also a second bake not hot enough can maybe give some pits? Run second bake same temp just less hold?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I use pacific abrasives white rubber wheels, super cheap and work great on porcelain at the margins, Keystone diamond flexis for zirconia.

I would start bumping the temp up 5' at a time to try and get a little more shine on the glaze, might not need it. The pits could be from many things, its almost impossible to tell without eliminating one thing at a time. Could be gas coming through the porcelain, but doesnt look like it. My guess is either drying too fast when wet in oven, too much glaze liquid to glaze ratio, temp not high enough, glaze applied too thin, porcelain not sandblasted before glaze, or more than likely, the micro pits were in the porcelain and not necessarily in the glaze layer. Could be from uncondensed porcelain, vacuum, oven, heat rise too fast. Welcome to dental technology aka troubleshooting. Take notes, be scientific about it. Pits suck, they are plaque traps and are hard to manage until you find out what causes them.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
As for keeping the porcelain thin at the margin so as to eliminate trying to thin it out and hope nothing chips I do a first bake around the margins. Works great especially on bridges.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
As for keeping the porcelain thin at the margin so as to eliminate trying to thin it out and hope nothing chips I do a first bake around the margins. Works great especially on bridges.

Same here, a gingival cervical and Inc lobe bake. And on bridges at the same time, a interproximal fill in bake.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry if I repeated what everyone else said, I think we all posted at the same time. Good to see everyones thoughts on resolving pits and that we all thought pretty similarly.

Ive done 2 pfm bridges this year, after I thought I told everyone I would never do another.. Interesting to see theyre still hanging around.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Ive done 2 pfm bridges this year, after I thought I told everyone I would never do another.. Interesting to see theyre still hanging around.

I wish I could tell one of my clients. Banghead This one came in this week. Metal occlusal too!

29DC60BD-845D-46CB-A19E-DB9A3CE4DAB7.jpeg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I wish I could tell one of my clients. Banghead This one came in this week. Metal occlusal too!

View attachment 39185

Yikes, I haven't done a metal occlusion in years. "Double your pleasure Double your fun, it's like doing 2 cases in 1", FGC's and a PFM bridge.

Was it due to lack of occlusal room, or the Dr is trying to be "kind" to the opposing?

At least this time you got 4 teeth in the impression to work with :)

Last edited:
ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Yikes, I haven't done a metal occlusion in years. "Double your pleasure Double your fun, it's like doing 2 cases in 1", FGC's and a PFM bridge.

Was it due to lack of occlusal room, or the Dr is trying to be "kind" to the opposing?

At least this time you got 4 teeth in the impression to work with :)

Pt has a dandy crossbite. That could be the reason?
You are right on the 4teeth. I should feel so lucky. 🙃

CD5AD96A-EBB7-44CA-86C1-31935392A76F.jpeg

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
Awesome case Al. I really like the satin finish on your crowns. What wheel or polisher are you using to achieve this ?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Awesome case Al. I really like the satin finish on your crowns. What wheel or polisher are you using to achieve this ?
After paste glaze bake
I go over facials of anteriors with a pink rubber wheel to knock down the fake painted on glaze to make it more of a matte.
I Sharpen the wheel so I don’t flatten or blunt the line angles it’s from Brassler same wheel I polish gold crowns with

1645122587463.jpeg
And sometimes I buff them on the model with this dry.

1645122766539.jpeg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
my bench has pizza sauce and coffee stains.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
After paste glaze bake
I go over facials of anteriors with a pink rubber wheel to knock down the fake painted on glaze to make it more of a matte.
I Sharpen the wheel so I don’t flatten or blunt the line angles it’s from Brassler same wheel I polish gold crowns with

View attachment 40453
And sometimes I buff them on the model with this dry.

View attachment 40454
Al. I use a similar abrasive pad (extra fine) to go over the finished zirconia and smooth zirconia connectors in raw stage zirconia