Restorations Du Jour

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You can now afford to take that month off.

D

Dental Noob

Reaction score
Hello DLN!! I'm back to post my first 2 anterior cases on here. I've been doing more anterior work lately and have been steadily improving my skills. However, over the last year or so I feel I have reached this plateau and I'm not sure where to go from here. Although I'm happy with how much I've improved I feel like they all look more or less the same, and is lacking that "pop" or "wow factor" that many of you exhibit here. Below are two of my most recent cases that I feel represent where I am technically at the moment.

1687402619005.png
1687402647461.png
1687402664193.png
1687402679738.png

How do I take my skills to the next level? What am I doing wrong or what can I do better? Any tips or suggestions or even a point in the right direction would be helpful and greatly appreciated! Thank you guys!!

Last edited:
RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Those look pretty fantastic! How long have you been in the field?
I Would recommend keeping as much tissue as possible when trimming around the margins. Helps to see where black triangles can be a problem and overall positioning and angles.
What stains are you using? Put some warmth at the margin area and in gingival embrasure areas to create some natural color gradient.
but looks pretty great to me!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I 2nd what riley says, bit more warmth in embrasures and keep the tissue on the model. Looks great, are you looking for a job?

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I think if after you glaze you follow up with some polishing like maybe have the areas of the tooth that touch the lip first less shiny it will improve the result.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The proof is in the oral environment. Does it belong?
It looks good on the model but is it too perfect?
Wear facets , crack lines, and slight irregularities can take our work to the next level.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
The proof is in the oral environment. Does it belong?
It looks good on the model but is it too perfect?
Wear facets , crack lines, and slight irregularities can take our work to the next level.
one worked for a lab that did a 10 unit case of anteriors as a first case for a new client; it was returned with a small note that read "please reduce the amount of characterization on the final teeth"

so the ceramist did just that, and it was returned yet again with a large booklet of tooth-by-tooth instructions what he wanted to see.

ceramist did that, and the new client was never heard from again. found out 2 remakes on the first case means you must be a bad lab, so he took his remakes elsewhere.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hello DLN!! I'm back to post my first 2 anterior cases on here. I've been doing more anterior work lately and have been steadily improving my skills. However, over the last year or so I feel I have reached this plateau and I'm not sure where to go from here. Although I'm happy with how much I've improved I feel like they all look more or less the same, and is lacking that "pop" or "wow factor" that many of you exhibit here. Below are two of my most recent cases that I feel represent where I am technically at the moment.

View attachment 43114
View attachment 43115
View attachment 43116
View attachment 43117

How do I take my skills to the next level? What am I doing wrong or what can I do better? Any tips or suggestions or even a point in the right direction would be helpful and greatly appreciated! Thank you guys!!
I like them and i'm an old picky fkr. Seriously, very nice job. Honestly you achieved one of the hardest things for ceramists right out the gate ---line angles. Yours are spot on. The incisal embrasures are also spot on. I'd probably buy a surface texture book or get a lecture on playing around with glazing (from natural glazing, to just stain firing, to holding temps to really adding that feature in to your next level). Also, occlusion courses are always great to make sure what you build always functions because your form is great.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
one worked for a lab that did a 10 unit case of anteriors as a first case for a new client; it was returned with a small note that read "please reduce the amount of characterization on the final teeth"

so the ceramist did just that, and it was returned yet again with a large booklet of tooth-by-tooth instructions what he wanted to see.

ceramist did that, and the new client was never heard from again. found out 2 remakes on the first case means you must be a bad lab, so he took his remakes elsewhere.
What you had there is failure to communicate.

D

Dental Noob

Reaction score
Those look pretty fantastic! How long have you been in the field?
I Would recommend keeping as much tissue as possible when trimming around the margins. Helps to see where black triangles can be a problem and overall positioning and angles.
What stains are you using? Put some warmth at the margin area and in gingival embrasure areas to create some natural color gradient.
but looks pretty great to me!
Thank you!! I've been in the field for a while now but I've only been doing ceramics full time for a about 3-4 years now. Started as just a delivery driver and then weaseled my way into ceramics lol. I'm mostly self taught so I have lots of room to improve and still feel I have a long way to go! Thank you for the kind words will definitely implement all of those tips on my next case!

D

Dental Noob

Reaction score
I 2nd what riley says, bit more warmth in embrasures and keep the tissue on the model. Looks great, are you looking for a job?
Gotcha! Yes well Im looking for a better job lol! Im considering moving to Southern California as the pay rate is much higher than what I can make where I live now. The only issue is whether my skills are worth the higher pay or not lol

Last edited:
D

Dental Noob

Reaction score
I like them and i'm an old picky fkr. Seriously, very nice job. Honestly you achieved one of the hardest things for ceramists right out the gate ---line angles. Yours are spot on. The incisal embrasures are also spot on. I'd probably buy a surface texture book or get a lecture on playing around with glazing (from natural glazing, to just stain firing, to holding temps to really adding that feature in to your next level). Also, occlusion courses are always great to make sure what you build always functions because your form is great.
Wow thank you so much!! Your words are very encouraging :D Yes I do feel like I need to learn some surface texture techniques because I dont have a set technique yet, is there a specific texturing book that you know of that you would recommend?

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score

View attachment 43114
View attachment 43115
View attachment 43116
View attachment 43117

Gerald Ubassy's books, Shape & Contour, Tips & Tricks. TIMELESS. With these both you can Exel beyond belief. Total mastery of our goals, beautifully illustrated. Best Advice Ever for you.

D

Dental Noob

Reaction score
Gerald Ubassy's books, Shape & Contour, Tips & Tricks. TIMELESS. With these both you can Exel beyond belief. Total mastery of our goals, beautifully illustrated. Best Advice Ever for you.
Awesome will get my hands on those thank you!