Reservoirs for teeth whitening trays

• Thread starter Toothtechniques
  • Start date
T

Toothtechniques

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone uses a cheap non dental material for creating reservoirs on labial surfaces of dental casts prior to vacum/pressure forming technique?
Heard someone uses nail polish, it's visible, easy to apply & flows well. Thoughts please.

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
I took a course one time with a kid that used nail polish then he sprayed it with hairspray to solidify it. To much hassle for me.
Yeti light cure die spacer in blue or red is what
Ive been using for years. I stand in front of light box. Apply to teeth, cure, done. No more than 5 minutes total time.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Thick glue should work the same as Rocket block out.

Forgot to add, your local hobby shop should have the glue with accelerator.

Last edited:
G

GarryB

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone uses a cheap non dental material for creating reservoirs on labial surfaces of dental casts prior to vacum/pressure forming technique?
Heard someone uses nail polish, it's visible, easy to apply & flows well. Thoughts please.
We use erkodent VHT wax. Works well, super quick and cheep.

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
rubber sep. Then put some separator on before you pull down the blank. Easy.
If i get caught short you can always mix up some wet runny plaster and use a brush. Works very well except removal or course. In fact it dries very quick, and i'm starting to do that more and more.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Does the reservoir really help? With the bleaching? I may put some nail polish on the facials and see if patients like it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't add reservoirs at the request of my offices.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
Does the reservoir really help? With the bleaching? I may put some nail polish on the facials and see if patients like it.

Not sure if it does or not. We make loads and different dentists like them doing their way.......depends which course they went on and how long ago it was.

In my experience the preference for reservoirs comes and goes.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I could see how maybe a fraction of a mm varnish could add just a nice place for a thin film, but I have seen some classes asking for almost 4/10ths sounds like a ploy for more product usage to me.

G

GarryB

Reaction score
I could see how maybe a fraction of a mm varnish could add just a nice place for a thin film, but I have seen some classes asking for almost 4/10ths sounds like a ploy for more product usage to me.

Yeah I hear you on that one. I have seen dentists advising patients on how to put the gel into the trays and they use about half a syringe in each arch....crazy. Nice white teeth though.

Cory

Cory

Reaction score
There are some materials for the bleaching trays that do not require a reservoir.. i believe it was the ones you get for the drufomat.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I tried the reservoir didn't like it. Drs didn't either.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The reservoir just prevents the material from being expunged onto the tissue. Hydrogen peroxide irritates tissue. I always used the light cure stuff. Most offices make there own anymore, and Im guessing they dont make a reservoir.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
original.jpeg

ERKOSKIN is latex product that is great.

Reservoirs are great...unless you want your bleaching materials to enter the gingival sulcus and cause havoc.
So you have this lovely fitting thermoformed bleaching tray without reservoirs..then you but in bleach...and put it in the mouth

Where does the bleach go?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
View attachment 22487

ERKOSKIN is latex product that is great.

Reservoirs are great...unless you want your bleaching materials to enter the gingival sulcus and cause havoc.
So you have this lovely fitting thermoformed bleaching tray without reservoirs..then you but in bleach...and put it in the mouth

Where does the bleach go?
Ya, I understand if you insert too much bleach it will do that they have been instructing their patients to use very little of the gel, there hasn't been any known issues.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Ya, I understand if you insert too much bleach it will do that they have been instructing their patients to use very little of the gel, there hasn't been any known issues.

yep in good hands it can work.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
I know the Kor system http://www.korwhitening.com/, uses reservoirs, but they also use two phase PVS impressions.
I'm not sure there has been a clinical study show Reservoirs to be more effective than non-reservoired tray,
I'm not sure the traditional EVA at 0.40 inch is accurate enough to make any theoretical differences translate to a difference at te patients bathroom mirror.
In the lab, I've found Densply/Essix-Raintrees trayrite material to be superior to EVA but not by a lot.

I'm going to have #9 recrowned at some point, I've been thinking about trying to make beaching trays out of clearSplint, for grins and giggles, that should make a difference in reservoirs effectiveness marginal leakage; do you think Dentists would go for $300.00 bleaching trays?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Bleaching has seen its day...it still is used. But let's face it.. Zoom got sold at its peak!

Just look at bleaching booths at the local shopping mall...

Like I said.. It's seen its day

Next

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Bleaching has seen its day...it still is used. But let's face it.. Zoom got sold at its peak!

Just look at bleaching booths at the local shopping mall...

Like I said.. It's seen its day

Next
This did not age well.

Top Bottom