Renting lab space?

Decalcified

Decalcified

Reaction score
I have a pretty good relationship with a mid size lab, and I know they have sublet spaces to techs in the past. I would like to try to get a few clients and was wondering if anyone has experience with this. It would be nice to not have to buy all the equipment and everything as I start out. How much should I pay them if they agree? A certain number of dollars per unit, a monthly set amount? Is this a good idea? Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Basically bad idea all around.
Going into business for yourself is ether a commitment or it’s not.

Small labs are being decimated at a record pace unlike anything seen in the industry before. If you are not “all in” then it’s better to go another route...
Depending on your background and goals there are plenty of other ways to skin that cat...

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Would not consider that going in as a self-employed tech. As Jason said above, either do it yourself all in, or go
a different avenue.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Something breaks and you were the last to use it...
Something breaks and you were even near it and never touched it...

They mistakenly pack one of your cases or take yours out of the pot instead of theirs.
Or the other way around.

Material issues. Space issues.

You'll always be the puppy that gets to eat after the other puppies have had their fill.
It doesn't have to work that way, but generally it always will.
Only three gas jets and there are 3 of that lab's techs plus you needing a gas station, guess who gets them.
Buying your own materials and keeping them separate? Ever shared a fridge at work?
Using their materials. How do you keep it straight what's owed? How do you use what they need simultaneously?
Tool sharing has similar issues as well. Ralph's favorite carver goes missing, who gets blamed? Yours goes missing?

The lab you're looking to be in has their patterns and routines. You're gonna come in and be expected to fit into those without disrupting their workflow. Not gonna happen.

Think of it as being the 6th roommate moving into an apartment with 5 bedrooms. With 5 people who have known and lived together for years.

It is not impossible, but it takes lots of effort and forethought on all parties.
More than dealing with finding a cheap spot and grunting your way through the beginnings yourself. And it'll be way more rewarding when you get all the toys they take for granted.

Edit: if you go through with this, actually create a business plan, get a lease and get renters insurance. Don't skimp on doing it right.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
I have experience having started this way. I agreed to the labs( a family member) terms. I brought in my own accounts. Worked there and in an inhouse lab for awhile till it made sense to move all in to the inhouse situation. Been there ever since. I do outside work as well and think that helps the whole thing work for everyone. Like others have pointed out, it's not a long term option to count on, but I say why not try if it helps you get on your feet and leave or you find a niche that works for you and love it.