Removing one model from another (Boolean)

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey team,

What are the options in 3shape, Exocad, Wings, Inlab etc to subtract one model from another? Let's say you scanned an arch and then pulled a tooth, and scanned the root and crown of the tooth after extraction. Could you then align the extracted tooth and subtract it from the model? Eg, it would make a model that had the socket down in it.

I can do this in other software like Blender, MeshMixer, etc etc , I'm just curious if my lab could do it without leaving their regular cad

Best,
P

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
I see one way you cold hack it if you used the "tooth" scan as an attachemnt in model builder

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
subtractive attachments are about the only way i can think of in 3shape. it wasnt designed to be ultrafunctional. it was made to produce cosmetics.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
:) brain mistake try tommorow.

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Tell 'em to learn Meshmixer...Dontknow

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Do you have the scans of arch and tooth?

P

patmo141

Sponsors
Reaction score
Do you have the scans of arch and tooth?

no this was just hypothetical. But, if I ever referred a patient that I did the extraction on for an implant, a "socket" model might be neat to send with them.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
no this was just hypothetical. But, if I ever referred a patient that I did the extraction on for an implant, a "socket" model might be neat to send with them.
What method could you use to assume gingival form and bone loss? Not picking at your idea at all, just thinking.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Some planning software allows a volume to be exported as STL. A post extraction scan could be imported and merged with a pre-op in exocad. Some creative editing and Model Creator may be able to do what you are asking for.