Removable lab going digital?

Alan JDL

Alan JDL

Reaction score
So we got asked by our largest account if we could accept intraoral scans. We are not digital in any way except in the fact that we can accept emails. Ha. That being said, I see this as an opportunity to kind of "break in" to the digital side of our industry. The only thing is I don't know anything other than some stuff I have read on here about oral scanners.
He was talking about them getting a trios scanner, and from what I have read that seems like a good choice. But I am not sure what we could use these scans for. If we got the computer, software and 3d printer could we print models from these scans? And if so, would these be accurate enough to use for a bite splint? Metal frame partial? Full Denture? Can you even scan an endentulous arch?
What I would like to eventually do would be able to design and possibly print models, surgical guides, bite splints, baseplates, and custom trays. Is all of that even possible yet?
Anyways, I guess what it comes down to is to start, what could we do with the scans sent to us? And will certain equipment work better with that scanner than others? Sorry, I don't really know a whole lot about the digital side of things. Thanks!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You could start by printing models but you would need design software such as model builder.
I have made flippers on printed models and they are nice. I have also made mouth guards and bleaching trays.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I have made a bite guard before and just today I milled a partial our of Zirlux Acetal. They were done with 3Shape and the fit was awesome. I seen and heard of others having good results with the partial frameworks and bite guards as well.

Alan JDL

Alan JDL

Reaction score
You could start by printing models but you would need design software such as model builder.
I have made flippers on printed models and they are nice. I have also made mouth guards and bleaching trays.

Who made the model? Can you make the flipper on the printed model or do you have to have a stone model?

Alan JDL

Alan JDL

Reaction score
I have made a bite guard before and just today I milled a partial our of Zirlux Acetal. They were done with 3Shape and the fit was awesome. I seen and heard of others having good results with the partial frameworks and bite guards as well.

Awesome, good to know.

Alan JDL

Alan JDL

Reaction score
Why? I'm not following what the point is.

That's why I am asking, seeing if it would be cost effective depending on what we can use the scans and printed model for. Mostly I see it as getting more consistent results. But also see it as a way to cut down on pick ups from dr.'s offices. Two drivers, two cars, and gas is one of our biggest expenses. Cutting even pickups by a third would save a lot of money. And considering this account has four locations it could help a lot. Also, it's no surprise to anyone that digital is where this industry is going. You can see that way more in c&b now, but it will no doubt trickle down to the removable side more and more over time. I have to try and keep this lab viable for many years to come and would rather not fall behind on this side of things. I am not sure now would even be the right time to invest in this, but I know I will have to in the near future.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I would just try scanning the models for the cool factor, however I've learned from experience of being on these forums for several years that a lot of the big labs here buying a lot of the advanced equipment are far ahead of the average dentist. Still if you can afford it and can get a dentist to send you a scan, I would go for it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This doc has the scanner for c&b. Having to take an alginate is a step back to the stone age for him now.
The removable and ortho labs need to pay attention to where things are headed.
You may not like it but it's not about you .

Chris Frye

Chris Frye

Reaction score
If your Dr. pulls the trigger soon on the Trios you can purchase Trios In-Box Standalone to accept his files and then send them out while you figure out what direction you are going to go. This will ensure that the work is still coming to you. If he gets a Trios it would be best to stay in the 3Shape family with a 3Shape scanner and Dental System CAD software. From there you will be able to export a STL and there are printers on the market now printing models, surgical guides, splints, and custom trays with other options hitting the market soon.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I had all the money back I've spent on **** to appease some dr who forthwith failed to produce.
I don't spend without an ironclad ROI.
Yeah, Artglass and Craptek... Why oh why.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I had all the money back I've spent on **** to appease some dr who forthwith failed to produce.
I don't spend without an ironclad ROI.

That's why I outsource.
If I was a denture lab,I'd buy a demo IOS and start working on printed models.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
50/50 the dr will see the full arch scan as a PITA, and return to alginate cheap, fast, accurate...ish. I agree with kcdt, Analog dentures are still king.

That would be an odd working relationship to have with a dr that has purchased an IOS.

You don't just flick a switch and go digital.
The learning curve is an inevitable experience that works to your advantage if you choose to recognize it before the other guy.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
If your Dr. pulls the trigger soon on the Trios you can purchase Trios In-Box Standalone to accept his files and then send them out while you figure out what direction you are going to go. This will ensure that the work is still coming to you. If he gets a Trios it would be best to stay in the 3Shape family with a 3Shape scanner and Dental System CAD software. From there you will be able to export a STL and there are printers on the market now printing models, surgical guides, splints, and custom trays with other options hitting the market soon.

How much more will these mentioned things cost Dr. (us lol) over a traditional splint, guide, tray, etc....
I don't know about you but for me there is only a certain maximum value you can put on a throwaway single use aid.... and a hunnertdolla tray or straight clear guide-- (no gp or barium) ain't flyin' in my hood.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
That would be an odd working relationship to have with a dr that has purchased an IOS.

You don't just flick a switch and go digital.
The learning curve is an inevitable experience that works to your advantage if you choose to recognize it before the other guy.
Ever heard of Cerac, Drs have plenty of expensive paper weights that sound great but are too much work for them.