Remote designer ideas

L

Lrapa

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Looking to get some insight on remote designing. I am currently remotely designing with 3shape 2018 and wondering what everyone's thoughts are? Anyone else doing this? Anyone coming across constant errors or downfalls of the process? With the 2018 update I am having to rely on 3shape communicate to download my work load a few times a day which is annoying and slow but seems to be the only way at this point. According to 3shape tech, they are working on fixing this issue with the next update. All ideas and tips are welcome! Thanks in advanced!

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
I can tell you that the 2018 update to the 3Shape software is absolutely terrible. We actually had it removed from our computers because it was affecting so many things negatively. Bugs, lag time, importing digital cases and the overall interface were just astoundingly bad.

L

Lrapa

Reaction score
I seem to be running smoothly as far as designing goes, but transferring cases back and forth are an issue. losing designs, bite adjustments, etc. Do you have remote designers or are those issues all in lab?

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score
It's all in lab. We don't use remote designers.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
From my dear friend Przemek on the FB group.

Works like a charm but no database, must have the case file imported to local install and database.

THIS IS JUST FOR DONGLE ACCESS ONLY!!!

TUTORIAL TO CONNECT TO A DONGLE FROM OUTSIDE OF THE LAB!
UPDATE 2018-03-20 If you also want dentaldesktop to connect, i.e running Implantstudio from your laptop you will need to add ports 5481 and 5480 in the firewall to work.
Ok so for all of you that wants to work from out of the lab you need to do the following.
Skill level on this is quite high so you might have to talk to your IT guy or department. Please DO NOT ask me for help via teamviewer or messenger I can´t help everyone with this, this is not totally easy. Ask your vendor or IT guy.
1. On the computer where you want to keep the dongle you need to set a fixed IP Adress on you LAN either by assigning it on the computer itself or on the router/firewall. (if you do not know how please go to i.e https://www.howtogeek.com/…/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-addr…/) set the IP within the range of your router i.e 192.168.199
2. When that is done you need to login to your router or firewall and find the tab portforwarding. (once again if you do not know how visit i.e http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router) Now when you find the correct tab add a new rule, select the IP adress of the computer with your dongle. i.e 192.168.199 as you selected above. Then open port 27027 both TCP and UDP and portforward it to the IP of the computer with dongle i.e 192.168.199 if you choose this address. Name the rule i.e 3Shape dongle forwarding.
3. Now find out what the IP address is on your current location where the dongle computer is located, (if you do not know how search "whatsmyip address" in google and you should see your IP adress. To make this work the best it is great if you have a fixed IP address from your ISP if not this IP address might change from time to time and you need to update it in the following step.
4. The last part. on the computer that is supposed to be outside of your lab Rightclick DentalSystem Controlpanel and "run as administrator" press "subscription managment" and open dongle service tab see picture 1, change SCAN-PC to your external IP adress you found on google. If you want the PC to be in the lab and connect to the dongle PC write the dongles PC´s local adress. i.e 192.168.199.
This will not let you access your database on the dongle computer then you need to set up a 3 Shape database server as well, this will only let you access the dongle from anywhere in the world.
Hope this tutorial was clear enough, I do not take any responsibility for you messing up. Do take back up of all your settings in case you do mess up. If you are uncertain, take contact with your IT admin.

Good luck and happy designing.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I can tell you that the 2018 update to the 3Shape software is absolutely terrible. We actually had it removed from our computers because it was affecting so many things negatively. Bugs, lag time, importing digital cases and the overall interface were just astoundingly bad.

Running 2018.1 on production and 2018.2 on Bea test station and at home zero issues here, c&b to full arch and double structure cases and digital wax ups.

L

Lrapa

Reaction score
From my dear friend Przemek on the FB group.

Works like a charm but no database, must have the case file imported to local install and database.

THIS IS JUST FOR DONGLE ACCESS ONLY!!!

TUTORIAL TO CONNECT TO A DONGLE FROM OUTSIDE OF THE LAB!
UPDATE 2018-03-20 If you also want dentaldesktop to connect, i.e running Implantstudio from your laptop you will need to add ports 5481 and 5480 in the firewall to work.
Ok so for all of you that wants to work from out of the lab you need to do the following.
Skill level on this is quite high so you might have to talk to your IT guy or department. Please DO NOT ask me for help via teamviewer or messenger I can´t help everyone with this, this is not totally easy. Ask your vendor or IT guy.
1. On the computer where you want to keep the dongle you need to set a fixed IP Adress on you LAN either by assigning it on the computer itself or on the router/firewall. (if you do not know how please go to i.e https://www.howtogeek.com/…/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-addr…/) set the IP within the range of your router i.e 192.168.199
2. When that is done you need to login to your router or firewall and find the tab portforwarding. (once again if you do not know how visit i.e http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-Port-Forwarding-on-a-Router) Now when you find the correct tab add a new rule, select the IP adress of the computer with your dongle. i.e 192.168.199 as you selected above. Then open port 27027 both TCP and UDP and portforward it to the IP of the computer with dongle i.e 192.168.199 if you choose this address. Name the rule i.e 3Shape dongle forwarding.
3. Now find out what the IP address is on your current location where the dongle computer is located, (if you do not know how search "whatsmyip address" in google and you should see your IP adress. To make this work the best it is great if you have a fixed IP address from your ISP if not this IP address might change from time to time and you need to update it in the following step.
4. The last part. on the computer that is supposed to be outside of your lab Rightclick DentalSystem Controlpanel and "run as administrator" press "subscription managment" and open dongle service tab see picture 1, change SCAN-PC to your external IP adress you found on google. If you want the PC to be in the lab and connect to the dongle PC write the dongles PC´s local adress. i.e 192.168.199.
This will not let you access your database on the dongle computer then you need to set up a 3 Shape database server as well, this will only let you access the dongle from anywhere in the world.
Hope this tutorial was clear enough, I do not take any responsibility for you messing up. Do take back up of all your settings in case you do mess up. If you are uncertain, take contact with your IT admin.

Good luck and happy designing.
Thank you! I will contact my IT guy this morning and see if this will help our situation!