Remakes and Shade changing pricing!

H

Holmes1722

Reaction score
Would like to know everyone's policy and thoughts on charging for remakes and shade charges.

3 examples to answer -

Single Zirconia crown. Fractures 2 months after fitting. Fee for remaking?

Single anterior.1st crown isn't correct, Dentist re preps and requests a shade change? Fee?

Implant bridge. 2 custom abutments and a 3 unit zir bridge. Digitally scanned but turns out the scan marker/flag wasn't fully seated first time around. Remake the 3 unit using the existing abutments. Fee applied?

My old work charged 30% for a shade change. Generally completed remakes free of charge irrespective of whos fault it was for being re made.
Sometimes feel as if we just bend over and take 1 for the team! Annoys the **** outta me . Thoughts???

Affinity

Affinity

Reaction score
5 year warranty on zirconia and emax if they break. Free remake.
Reprep and new impression, 50% charge.
Dr. takes bad impression with scanbody not in place, I might charge full price on the one unit remake, maybe the abutment also if it needs remade.
Shade change, no charge. Bill for the hassle up front with fees for custom shades, single central, larger cases etc.

These discussions need to be had with each client, so that they understand, beforehand, what will be billed in some of these scenarios. Also you need terms and conditions signed by the client, so that there isnt a fee that they dont understand. These relationship$ can last decades if you nurture them and have mutual understanding, but if you try to hide behind remake fees, without discussing them, they could go elsewhere eventually, even if they are the cause. Remaking cases for free makes the client less diligent with their impressions, bites, shade-taking, they need to be held accountable too. I charge 50% because I feel like its a give and take.. dont waste my time or money and I will try not to waste yours. If you charge a high enough fee , then I think a lot of these things should be taken care of on the house, rather than nickel and dimed in remake fees. Its ultimately about the relationship with each client. Most Drs just want you to stand behind your work, but are willing to pay for it being done right, but its tough to place blame on a Dr, because they can give it right back to you...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Reaction score
and to add on to what Affinity said....if you see ANY issues with a scan/impression/prep/etc you make the phone call. you absolutely have to. if they approve proceeding with it as-is you have grounds for charging on those remakes/adjustments. just blindly accepting work and fudging things is an issue and will set you up for dealing with these headaches.

Affinity

Affinity

Reaction score
Cant believe there arent more opinions on this? Id love to hear from labs that get away with charging reshade fees and how thats negotiated with the Dr.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I’ve got one doc who has had several in the last month. The last two I charged half. Three others in the office , no problem. And now that first one sends a fcz case back today saying they messed up. Should have been FC. I haven’t decided on that one.🤯

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Decide how much as a percentage of billing you are willing to lose to keep them. Set that amount. Keep that. Then enforce it.

First. If they won't listen when you tell them there's a problem and then blame you? Find a replacement and fire them.
They don't want to work with you, they just want to work you.
Easy to say, hard to do. But how much money is the heart attack causing stress of dealing with them worth? How much time do you need off after you die till you can come back to work? We have cases waiting...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I called an office from a hospital bed at 3am to let them know the case wouldn't be there as soon as they opened. Told them I'm a patient in the hospital and they've got me on IV pain meds.

Want to know what they had to say when they called back after opening? What are we gonna doooooooooo! You were supposed to have it heeeeeeeere!

Next day the Recpt called and asked how I was, but that was a stark reminder of how much some value anything aside from your output. To include your life.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Decide how much as a percentage of billing you are willing to lose to keep them. Set that amount. Keep that. Then enforce it.

First. If they won't listen when you tell them there's a problem and then blame you? Find a replacement and fire them.
They don't want to work with you, they just want to work you.
Easy to say, hard to do. But how much money is the heart attack causing stress of dealing with them worth? How much time do you need off after you die till you can come back to work? We have cases waiting...

i Do appreciate that office…they really gave me my start 30 years ago. Some have retired. They’ve expanded into two more locations and more docs. You all would love the preps and imps they send .Great quality And clarity.
can barely keep up and still have other accounts. That’s why I hit ‘em for 50% finally.
My friend just went through the heart thing……..not a good situation just so someone
can get their crown.🤯
I called an office from a hospital bed at 3am to let them know the case wouldn't be there as soon as they opened. Told them I'm a patient in the hospital and they've got me on IV pain meds.

Want to know what they had to say when they called back after opening? What are we gonna doooooooooo! You were supposed to have it heeeeeeeere!

Next day the Recpt called and asked how I was, but that was a stark reminder of how much some value anything aside from your output. To include your life.
I wonder sometimes about who really cares. Its the way the world is i guess. 😞

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
i Do appreciate that office…they really gave me my start 30 years ago. Some have retired. They’ve expanded into two more locations and more docs. You all would love the preps and imps they send .Great quality And clarity.
can barely keep up and still have other accounts. That’s why I hit ‘em for 50% finally.
My friend just went through the heart thing……..not a good situation just so someone
can get their crown.🤯

I wonder sometimes about who really cares. Its the way the world is i guess. 😞
I attended a 3 day lecture put on by Mirage in Kansas City in 1997. Absolutely "The Best" in quality for a 3 day program, will never forget it or the people organizing and presenting, Tim & Tom Zeigler( Mirage),what a total knock out show they brought together, beyond Top Notch!

Back to topic, during this lecture topic was presented by an amazing analyst / accountant guy, sorry I cant remember his name at this moment. He asked a floor of lab owners what % of a dental practise expenses we thought were related to the lab??? Mind blowing, 15 % and that was a true eye opener!! Most respondents said between 40 & 50 %. The room was very quiet for some time.

This is something to keep in the back of your mind, we may be not as important to an office as we may have thought. Very useful in planning and accessing current times and Not going off the edge because of over- estimating our importance to a Dental Practise. Humbling but valuable for sure!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Reaction score
I attended a 3 day lecture put on by Mirage in Kansas City in 1997. Absolutely "The Best" in quality for a 3 day program, will never forget it or the people organizing and presenting, Tim & Tom Zeigler( Mirage),what a total knock out show they brought together, beyond Top Notch!

Back to topic, during this lecture topic was presented by an amazing analyst / accountant guy, sorry I cant remember his name at this moment. He asked a floor of lab owners what % of a dental practise expenses we thought were related to the lab??? Mind blowing, 15 % and that was a true eye opener!! Most respondents said between 40 & 50 %. The room was very quiet for some time.

This is something to keep in the back of your mind, we may be not as important to an office as we may have thought. Very useful in planning and accessing current times and Not going off the edge because of over- estimating our importance to a Dental Practise. Humbling but valuable for sure!
thats only because we are undercharging for the services we provide as a whole

Affinity

Affinity

Reaction score
I think 15% sounds about right, but Ive never really thought about it. No way would I think it was 50%..
Payroll, rent, utilities, supplies, treasure chest toys, lab fees... I think thats probably the order.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Reaction score
I think 15% sounds about right, but Ive never really thought about it. No way would I think it was 50%..
Payroll, rent, utilities, supplies, treasure chest toys, lab fees... I think thats probably the order.
Treasure chest toys?
Laugh

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I always picked the paratrooper.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
As long as 15% covers my fee. 5% is fine as long as it don't ceiling me. Otherwise :Hello:

Affinity

Affinity

Reaction score
Ok lets call it 'promos'.. Weekly advertising, glamour shots for the staff, flat screen TV. Anything to pry patients away from their neighbor.
River-Park-Dental-Treasure-Chest.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score

How does this apply to Canadian labs where the separate lab fee is paid by the patient ?

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
How does this apply to Canadian labs where the separate lab fee is paid by the patient ?
Doc's mainly worry about the other Doc nearby. Competing with price vs quality has always been a factor. If Doc wants to ensure a sale, may use lesser expensive lab. The Pt is not likely informed of the difference and trusts the Doc. Endless loop. We have little to no control on this at all.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Doc's mainly worry about the other Doc nearby. Competing with price vs quality has always been a factor. If Doc wants to ensure a sale, may use lesser expensive lab. The Pt is not likely informed of the difference and trusts the Doc. Endless loop. We have little to no control on this at all.
Good Docs never enter this situation and are always appreciative of team work for a successful Pt result.

Top Bottom