Relining Locator dentures??

S

Soniq

Reaction score
Just wanted to get some opinions on relining dentures with Locator housings and inserts. see below.

Zest's official procedures advises to place the black inserts into the existing metal housings in the denture,
take reline impression and use Locator analogs to make reline model.
I've found that it's more consistent to remove the existing metal housings, insert black processing inserts, place assembly over female abutments and then take reline impression. The analogs would then be inserted and reline model fabricated.

What say all?

Thanks a bunch.

Darwin

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
less liable to compress tissue keeping inserts in denture. you just have to make sure locators seat during impression.

Daniel Watters

Daniel Watters

Reaction score
Agreed. Done this way you can treat the reline like a normal and straight forward press packed or jigged reline. It's like processing the case from scratch again. Although I have used both techniques I prefer this one. When ever I can, I ask if the abutments are being engaged well before the reline trying to give reason to suggest this technique. Although the number of implants placed for these case is growing, we are mostly seeing two locators on the lower denture that needs the reline. Agreed? My worry is that we aren't getting an accurate reline impression with the abutments engaged. Am I making sense? If there is any change in the way the cap engages the abutment because of the tissue change, and this tissue change is not recorded accurately with the impression because the abutments are engaged, we end up with an inaccurate impression. Sure, it can stabilized with border molding techniques but we all know how often that happens.;) One thing is for sure... You gotta love Locators.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
The real correct technique. The doctor should place them chair side, and one at a time. Its the most accurate method.

Daniel Watters

Daniel Watters

Reaction score
Totally agree droberts. But how many will actually do it, and do it correctly?

D

DrNJS

Reaction score
For a laboratory reline of a Zest locator retained denture that has a metal framework attached to the male housing, do I need to place the implant analogs or can I just block out the housing with something and reline as I would a normal denture.
The denture snaps into place with the reline polyeather impression material in place so I am imagining that this will work out fine but I have not done it without the analogs. (I can't find my locator lab analogs, I believe someone threw them away, I only have locator-rx analogs and I am not sure they will work the same.)

Thank you.

D

DrNJS

Reaction score
For a laboratory reline of a Zest locator retained denture that has a metal framework attached to the male housing, do I need to place the implant analogs or can I just block out the housing with something and reline as I would a normal denture.
The denture snaps into place with the reline polyeather impression material in place so I am imagining that this will work out fine but I have not done it without the analogs. (I can't find my locator lab analogs, I believe someone threw them away, I only have locator-rx analogs and I am not sure they will work the same.)

Thank you.
I actually just got done delivering the denture and it ended up working just fine. A little bit of adjusting but by blocking out the housing with Vaseline and light body PVS material and processing with a reline jig I was able to do it without the need for a lab analog.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I actually just got done delivering the denture and it ended up working just fine. A little bit of adjusting but by blocking out the housing with Vaseline and light body PVS material and processing with a reline jig I was able to do it without the need for a lab analog.
You did good. Just treat like normal. Fill in attachments with inlay wax, putty, vps, ect....pour model, proceed as usual.