Reinstate my CDT??

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
I see the value in the CDT.

Wonder how many of those against this would bring their vehicle to a mechanic w/o a certification...

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
right from the NADL article on April 28, 2011
"In September, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, which falls under the Department of Labor, lowered the occupational status of dental technicians from skilled to unskilled labor in compliance with a new education and training classification system."

it is not wrong at all sir.
Just wondering if there are changes to that status since 2011 . . .
current webpage does not show that designation unless I am missing something.
Can't find that 'Job Zone' information on the page . . .

LCM

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are changes to that status since 2011 . . .
current webpage does not show that designation unless I am missing something.
Can't find that 'Job Zone' information on the page . . .

LCM
short of the post that doug made, i have had a hard time finding the job zone designations as well. i would love to know if things have changed since 2011 too, i mean....its not like we make custom patient specific medical devices or anything.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I see the value in the CDT.

Wonder how many of those against this would bring their vehicle to a mechanic w/o a certification...
for the record, i also see the value for a CDT. just not in the ways discussed on this thread so far. there are places around the country its needed, but not everywhere. which significantly undermines the "value" the designation has. realistically, its an overpriced acronym and piece of paper hanging on the wall with little additional value to many whom posses such a title.

since there are a host of people that at mechanics without a specific certification, i would say many would. in fact, i myself have been known to tinker with vehicles of one form or another. and no, i am not a certified mechanic. i would caution such a comparison as there is a large difference between custom made medical devices and vehicles that come out of production assembly lines around the world. (sadly there are some of those for our industry too lol)

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I know a little something about the automotive repair business. Certification doesn't mean anything. It's a trade just like ours. Capable of doing excellent work and capable of doing terrible work. And mechanics are not required to have any certification to work on your car.

And let's be frank.... I've seen lots of work done by CDTs and as a matter of fact I've had to fix a lot of cases done by CDTs. So let's not kid ourselves that those 3 letters have some kinda magic power.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I have a performance car and know many highly skilled people that are wizards with cars that are not certified. It means nothing in the car world.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Unskilled labor is a rumor that has gotten legs over the years. It's just out-right wrong. But does it matter? No one here seems to want to change anything.
it isn't a rumor

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
It's a designation. I wouldn't think I would need it either (never leaving this lab or that lab) THEN IT HAPPENS...a little thing called life. Every lab I applied for with CDT behind my name got me interview seat across from the owner. CDT to Docs don't mean much, but the higher end clients know...especially the Prosthodontists. If you want to do 'mac and cheese' work for your entire career that's fine, nothing wrong with that but as you achieve better skills usually means you charge more and comes with it better clients. You will do what you want, I'm not going to sway your mind, but I have junior techs that look up to me and having CDT and going for a CDT designation means something to them...therefore I'll stand behind it. I dismissed the NADL years ago and for my sanity don't associate with them when it comes to the CDT, besides NBC is who you deal with mostly anyways. Keep your CDT, if not for yourself for those junior techs and those surprise life changes.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
My CDT status has lapsed. I got a letter from NBC saying that will reinstate it for $510 and I need to make up the CE for the last couple of years. I am wondering if it is even worth it. I work and will always work in Indiana. There is no way this state will pass a regulation to make having a CDT mandatory for a dental lab in my lifetime. I also don't need the CDT for employment. My aunt and uncle own my lab and there is no way I would go work for another lab. I still do CE so I can be a resource for my doctors and so I can ensure my lab is staying current with best practices. Are there benefits to being a CDT that I am missing? This is my 20th year as a dental tech. I got my CDT after 5 years working in the lab. I just don't see the justification in paying for a "title" that means nothing to my doctors. I would love to hear some other perspectives. Thanks
I would keep it. Even if you are not active in lab work , the cdt may keep your foot in the door for other dental jobs, even if it's just a job selling digital equipment,and if you decide to stay with lab work later you won't regret letting it go. To me the CDT lets you have an edge on others applying for a job, at least in the dental world, and may mean more money.

K

Komprezzor

Reaction score
Pass imh, we dont need it here in Indi, I know people with amazing skills without a yearly bill, it doesnt make you lees of a Tech, but like
People said if it is important to you go for it I would rather donate the money to an animal
Cruelty non profit again just my personal opinion, also I have yet to Come across a client whom asked me if I had a CDT just sayin

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Having the designation means nothing to 99% of dentists. The other 1% are prosthodontists and every one that I’ve worked with in the last 38+ years has sent me work BECAUSE I’m CDT, appreciated the work that I do being certified AND I have actually heard them mention to GP’s the importance of sending work to a CDT. The designation also had value when I was in the Navy.
I’d say that within the next generation the field will be further whittled down until there will only be literally a handful of labs in North America. As the technology keeps getting better, so will the quality of the work coming out of the mills and printers, eventually putting the vast majority of labs out of business. Happy I’m at the end of my career. I’m even tempted to ask to have the magazine stopped being sent just to cut the umbilical cord….that’s a little bit tougher tho than letting certifications go.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
The CDT designation means you've met the minimal requirements. If you weren't that good, the prosthodontist would have moved elsewhere. Your passion, skill building, and applied experience is what made you great.

I know plenty of CDTs still stuck in the 80's with their buffalo knives and shellac base plates.

doug

doug

Reaction score
That a dentist is licensed means that he has also met a minimum acceptable level of clinical competence. They really aren't good until they apply that training.