RECOMMENDATION REQUEST: Do any of you us a laptop to run a CAD programs?

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a laptop, but I'm interested it getting one that will be able to run a CAD program for removables. My dad and I own a removable lab, he's at retirement age, but I know that I'm in this for the long hall so I should learn CAD/CAM. I've heard 3Shape is the best program. Is that true even for removable?

What would be your recommendation when purchasing a computer for CAD? This is the link that details the specs for 3Shape programs. http://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...nts-for-3Shape-software-packages.pdf?u=lmktbn

I have always like Macs, but it looks like 3Shape doesn't work on Macs, right? Are there good programs that run on macs? If no, that's okay. I'll get a computer that runs Windows.

My main concern is to buy a computer that will have the capability to run a CAD program. What are you using? Are any of you using a laptop?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Get exocad. 3shape used to be king, but imo not anymore.

with exocad you can get literally anything with a good multi-core, multi-thread CPU and onboard GPU like a Microsoft Surface featuring Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 8core/16thread modern cpu's - just pay for the upgrade to a solid state hard drive because come on its 2020. with 3shape you are stuck buying overpriced 'compatible' laptops that are mostly Alienware. i.e. overpriced.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Short answer, your going to want a screen larger than a laptop to design in CAD.
Yet to know anyone using a laptop for Cad, and I don't personally know anyone designing dentures yet, but its good your thinking ahead of most denture labs.

Bryce @ WhipMix

Bryce @ WhipMix

Reaction score

with exocad you can get literally anything with a good multi-core, multi-thread CPU and onboard GPU like a Microsoft Surface featuring Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 8core/16thread modern cpu's - just pay for the upgrade to a solid state hard drive because come on its 2020. with 3shape you are stuck buying overpriced 'compatible' laptops that are mostly Alienware. i.e. overpriced.
3Shape runs just fine on the Ryzen platform.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
My main concern is to buy a computer that will have the capability to run a CAD program. What are you using? Are any of you using a laptop?
Any of the higher end Gaming Laptopts should be able to run your CAD program. Just make sure you get a good graphics card and some RAM. But you will spend more money on a Laptop than a Desktop with similar specs.
Short answer, your going to want a screen larger than a laptop to design in CAD.
You can always add a bigger screen. But make sure your Laptop works in 'Clamshell position', if you dont want to have it open, while working on the bigger screen.

To add, don't some of you use those humongous tablets to design?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
You can always add a bigger screen. But make sure your Laptop works in 'Clamshell position', if you dont want to have it open, while working on the bigger screen.

big screens don't tend to be easily mobile, but if you were creating a sort of Studio for design with a Drawing tablet/screen i bet you could pair a NUC with a Chinese tablet and 40inch monitor and come out about the same price as a moderately powerful laptop... in fact lets swing those numbers:

Digital "studio" components:
ASUS PN50 4800u (no memory) rumored price 510.00usd (add memory and OS for additional 300usd)
19" HUION KAMVAS 369 on amazon usa
total approx 1179.00usd plus shipping

Microsoft Surface 3 15" from Microsoft store preconfigured with Ryzen 5, 1299.00 usd

so yeah its about even and comparable performance but one gives you mobility, the other could i guess but wouldn't be quite so fashionable.

T

Thomas H

Reaction score

Are most people agreeing that Exocad is the superior program?

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Yet to know anyone using a laptop for Cad, and I don't personally know anyone designing dentures yet, but its good your thinking ahead of most denture labs.

Hmmm... good to know. Although, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a computer at my lab because it is shared with a dental group.

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Any of the higher end Gaming Laptopts should be able to run your CAD program. Just make sure you get a good graphics card and some RAM. But you will spend more money on a Laptop than a Desktop with similar specs.

I'm interested in knowing the same. How common is it to use a (drawing) tablet to design? I hadn't heard of that before, in demonstrations it looks like people are just using a mouse, but I could be wrong.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I've never used 3Shape, but I did have a straumann CS2 once. ( insert throw-up emoji here) We have exocad now and it will do pretty much everything we need. Just found another way to do ti-base bridge design today.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing the same. How common is it to use a (drawing) tablet to design? I hadn't heard of that before, in demonstrations it looks like people are just using a mouse, but I could be wrong.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Used 24" and 27" then bumped up to 32." Its really a matter of personal preference and having a little extra depth with larger monitors.
In my opinion,27-28" are ideal and 32" is really nice if you have the depth.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I use 50" 4k monitors (smart TV's bought from Costco when they were on sale) both at work and home, I sit a bout 3' back...it fills my FOV quite nicely.

Got a relatively modest 14" laptop for when I travel...it runs all my CAD apps w/o a hiccup...Exo and 3sheep included. I'm quite please with it.

Are most people agreeing that Exocad is the superior program?
I started with 3sheep back in 2008 or so, when it came to the market under the Wieland brand IIRC...switched to Exo like six years after and never looked back. Nowadays I got both, 3sheep is just to see the margins for some Trios cases (which we get a lot)... design is done w/ Exo.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I use 50" 4k monitors (smart TV's bought from Costco when they were on sale) both at work and home, I sit a bout 3' back...it fills my FOV quite nicely.

Got a relatively modest 14" laptop for when I travel...it runs all my CAD apps w/o a hiccup...Exo and 3sheep included. I'm quite please with it.

I started with 3sheep back in 2008 or so, when it came to the market under the Wieland brand IIRC...switched to Exo like six years after and never looked back. Nowadays I got both, 3sheep is just to see the margins for some Trios cases (which we get a lot)... design is done w/ Exo.
I knew you were a closet sheeper. Welcome baaaack.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Baaaah....🐑🐑🐐
250px-Logo_from_%22Baa_Baa_Black_Sheep%22.jpg

Top Bottom