Real cases for training?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to train our model guy into waxup and metalwork, but got wondering:

How many of you use real cases that have to go out eventually to train the new ones, do you make duplicate models and let them train on these instead?

I'm stuck vacillating, I really want him to get the boost from a coping he made going out the door, but don't really want to repour and use 2nd die on a real case because he nicked it.

What do you guys do?

Last edited:
A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I'd use some old models/die to start with and be strict when you check his work, squash that wax up if it's even only slightly off and make him re do from scratch, it's all good practice. If he's got any ability you'll see soon enough and can get him doing some real cases. And remember the man who never made any mistakes, never made anything at all...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
When I was learning to wax my mentor would pick the tooth to wax
and I would have to keep waxing it until he stopped crushing them.
I hated it then, but now I'm appreciative. Waxing in my opinion is
one of if not THE most important skill in dental technology.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
When I was learning to wax my mentor would pick the tooth to wax
and I would have to keep waxing it until he stopped crushing them.
I hated it then, but now I'm appreciative. Waxing in my opinion is
one of if not THE most important skill in dental technology.

I would agree. To bad it will soon be a lost art except for techs over say 45

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I'm trying to train our model guy into waxup and metalwork, but got wondering:

How many of you use real cases that have to go out eventually to train the new ones, do you make duplicate models and let them train on these instead?

I'm stuck vacillating, I really want him to get the boost from a coping he made going out the door, but don't really want to repour and use 2nd die on a real case because he nicked it.

What do you guys do?

Since he is your model guy. Just have him repour a few polyvinyl impressions that have the right preps. I would suggest you also wax up the crown or coping so he has a guide of what you want the finished unit to look like.
I have done this and it seem to help. I would agree with adamb4321. You will know soon if he has what it takes.

It might be better to just train him on digital from the start.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I used to work in an angry german lab... Theywouldnt just squash my waxups, they would check the occlusion of a finished onlay by slamming the model down and breaking the porcelain.... I learned real fast to keep things so far out of occ in that lab...

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
I used to work in an angry german lab... Theywouldnt just squash my waxups, they would check the occlusion of a finished onlay by slamming the model down and breaking the porcelain.... I learned real fast to keep things so far out of occ in that lab...

Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We've got 2 cases that we did get him to make duplicates of, most of our docs use vps or vpe on tripple tray, so we get decent repour-ability.

I had him watchng over my shoulder for about a week before turning him loose on a case with a wax knife, he hasn't used a electric wax knife before, bunsen burner guy from doing removables in another country. He's getting the skill of wax placement fairly well, so my hopes are high as he's quite an artist, musically, hoping for it to translate over visually somewhat.

He's just really jumpy and super careful and a bit slower when learning as he has language issues, English as a 5th(!) language. But once he gets something you can not get him to goof it up, he keeps it tightly in his knowledge sphere.

Top Bottom