Questions for lab owners

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I've been a tech for 4 years, worked at my last lab for 3 and had a better opportunity for a manager position at another local lab, been there for about a year. Basically the grass isn't always greener and there was a reason I got offered alot of nice shiny incentives to want to quit my old lab and work for this one. I've gotten a couple calls from other dentists who use the old lab and aren't happy, their biggest complaints are deadlines being pushed further and further back and the quality for the price. So with that knowledge that at least two long time clients are starting to window shop i think gives me a promising start. Although nothing is a guarentee, I feel if I try and sell my old labs weaknesses to my advantage it's a start. Ex: they are a big lab, more techs more dentists. They aren't going to take the time and send a tech to the office if there is a problem, but since im a one woman shop I'm the one who will handle everything and be able to make office visits if need be

Hi Stella, first off if you are going to do removables then 4 years isn't nearly long enough to be good at this, I would stay on the job a while longer , try different labs and especially dentist owned labs (prosthodontists). I had 15 years in dentistry before I opened mine. As for the part about pickup and delivery in your original post, this has always been a thorn in my side. local personal pickups get the business in, but it also takes away from time doing the work. I'm seriously thinking about going to ups or usps for most of my cases out of about a 5 mile radius... don't know how that will work out... I'll keep you posted.

Nathan Ardelean

Nathan Ardelean

Reaction score
Great information, thanks.
I'm in the same shoes Stella is in. I'm starting my own lab in my basement. I've got about 80% of the equipment purchased and set up.
I have almost 10 years experience and 5 of those as a CDT in CD. I'm currently working in a full service lab 50+ employees, and hate it! The place is toxic and almost everyone "doesn't care" about the work and patients. Including management and owner's family members.

I need some help and guidance with the business side of the business.
Putting together the prescription, price sheet, and things of that nature. I've got my prices in mind, so I'm not asking for $$$ amounts, but maybe a way to present the information to the dentists.

I've got a business bank account separate from my personal, I know not to mix the 2, it's impossible to keep track of both, in the same account.

If anyone has some tips or templates/forms or know a place I can purchase some from, I'd be grateful and appreciative.

Thanks to everyone!

wojtek121

wojtek121

Reaction score
You can find a lot of examples on google, along with prices. Good luck

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Removables is just not removable anymore. Many are implant related. Right now you must stay on top to keep up with technology.
I had my lab in my home for many years. Would never do it again!!! You need to live at home and enjoy it. IMO,( working from home, you never leave work).
You have a huge decision to make, you make it a career, or a job. Wish all the best.
Note: Anyone interested on here of having a solid future in implant removable, ( www.hawkeyedentalstudio.com).
Please send resume to [email protected]

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Just don't be one of the guys that prices yourself way low. You are hurting all the labs when you do that.... Make money with your skills... Remember a car mechanic shop bills between $85-135 an hour. Not having middle management is NOT a reason to pass along a savings to a dentist... it is an opportunity for you to keep more of your pie....How much are you worth?

Last edited: