Pumice and Polish, what are you using.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I’m interested in seeing what you use for pumice and polishing dentures. I’ve always used what the our lab owner used. Never questioned or researched before. I would love to get some consensus on what you feel works or is the gold standard (I know it’s partly subjective). This is mostly for removables dentures, thermoplastics and metal frames. Thanks.

Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
I use flour pumice, love the feel especially when it's warm water in it haha, and a rag wheel, than goat hair than small interproximal polisher
For final polish on acrylic fabuluster is great with a rag wheel on lowid like to try Erik niederhauser's polish, I here it's good on acrylic aswell.
Pumice
Benco Dental™ Lab Pumice Flour Grit Plain 1lb Jar
Rag wheel
Muslin Wheel 1" Pack of 12
3912-689 benco
Goat hair
https://preat.com/product/unmounted-goat-hair-brush-3-pack/ preat
Small polisher
Stiff Bristle Wheel Brush 3/4" Diameter 3/32" Shank benco
Fabuluster
FABULUSTRE POLISH 1# PCFL
1016-375
Erik's Instagram/product
https://instagram.com/erikniederhauser?utm_medium=copy_link

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I’m interested in seeing what you use for pumice and polishing dentures. I’ve always used what the our lab owner used. Never questioned or researched before. I would love to get some consensus on what you feel works or is the gold standard (I know it’s partly subjective). This is mostly for removables dentures, thermoplastics and metal frames. Thanks.
Frames: Tiger Paste with a robinson brush after rubber wheel and rubber tube (drunk, words are missing)

Polycryl for any non-pmma/non-mma. Acetyl resins, nylons, etc.

Normal acrylic: benco medium pumice followed by Moldent and if I'm feeling my oats then Fabulustre or DVA's high gloss stuff.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Coarse scotchbrite, sometimes medium, for prepolish
Dazzle PS with a flannel buff for low shine, I use dazzle mixed with vasoline with robinson brush in interproximals if i need to clean there.
Ivoclar universal polishing paste with chamois for high shine.
Clean Cotton buff and a damp/wet denture for extra high shine if neccesary

I use a diamond impregnated felt wheel to high shine frameworks, followed by ivoclar universal polishing paste

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Thank you everyone one for your suggestions. Grateful for the feedback.

C

Ct33

Reaction score
Try Resilience powder, polishes way better than plain flour pumice, follow it up with some acriluster on another wheel, shines up like glass.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Try Resilience powder, polishes way better than plain flour pumice, follow it up with some acriluster on another wheel, shines up like glass.
I used resilience for years, polycril works even better.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Pumicing hack here!

I learned this trick from another tech where I work. We use resilience pumice substitute but he pumped a squirt or two of liquid handsoap in with his water/pumice mix and it seemed to increase the surface tension of the mix and it clings to the acrylic more and doesn't slide off. Also seems to lessen the friction of the muslin buff, letting the mix do more of the work. I probably use less pressure than most techs when I pumice. Cuts my pumicing time down by half at least, and it smells pretty nice to boot!

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
You might want to add that tip here.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Pumicing hack here!

I learned this trick from another tech where I work. We use resilience pumice substitute but he pumped a squirt or two of liquid handsoap in with his water/pumice mix and it seemed to increase the surface tension of the mix and it clings to the acrylic more and doesn't slide off. Also seems to lessen the friction of the muslin buff, letting the mix do more of the work. I probably use less pressure than most techs when I pumice. Cuts my pumicing time down by half at least, and it smells pretty nice to boot!
I tried it, works well.

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
we are looking to get ride of one if not both inhouse removable techs

more than likely the senior tech will go 1st

it just not working out - they are both set up every morning prior to arrival

once they arrive- one is in at 830 the other 930 ( commute)

i go into room - go over the days work

seems simple enough

i blame myself partially (no pun intended) but one guy i inherited and the other is talented but easily influenced

long story short - i may be getting dirty in the back room - if it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense

any suggestions

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
any tips or tricks always appreciated -

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
any tips or tricks always appreciated -
I had to do this awhile back myself. The senior tech just wasn't working out, had no ambition and the numbers showed it. Really tried to make it work for a couple years till I remembered a line a Doc once said, "it sucks when 'that' someone leaves the office, but it sucks more when 'that' someone left the job but stays in the office"!!!

I let the senior tech go, kept the junior tech and brought in Bob Hicks (Denture World Champ) and had him work with us for a couple days. That was tremendous, really upped our game/technique, and really motivated the junior tech. With senior tech that dept. barely did 10k/month. Today, that dept. will probably do 50k this month...and I didn't hire anyone. Dispersed some of the workload and I jump in once in awhile to help to do setups because as a crusty ceramist I still enjoy doing setups...just like doing a fmr case.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I remembered a line a Doc once said, "it sucks when 'that' someone leaves the office, but it sucks more when 'that' someone left the job but stays in the office"!!!
Great line.