Pulled the trigger on a P30 RapidShape/Straumann 3D printer

D

DrG

Reaction score
Plan is to print surgical guides (easy) and implant models with gingiva mask and repo analogs.
Doing only Straumann implants as a surgeon and producing cadcam cust healing abutments and 3D printed models with Ti cust abutments for my referring Drs.
Will post my experience.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
i already know what your experience with Straumann will be like.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't know.
I'm not a non technician.
I do know what it means to a technician though.
Are you interested in our perspective ?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Straumann has not been a lab friendly company. My experience with their implant files in my Exocad proves that they are still not a Lab friendly company.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Of course, please share
Keep an eye on their QC.
Milling quality has been inconsistent and as Doug has mentioned, they do not seem to be in tune with the labs.
Prices are inflated and value for that price does not come close to other 3rd party milling centers.
for example, Argen provides an gold anodized custom abutment with retention groves and 2 final screws for $100 less.
Straumann does not provide the option of retention grooves and no second final screw.Abutment comes in a small baggie with a sticker.
Their zirconia is 5 years behind the rest of the market and my rep still doesn't know my name.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Use original they said...unless you want us to mill the other guys platform.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
From your surgical perspective, Straumann will be fine. I know nothing about the printer, but as long as you live in their ecosystem, and spend the dollars, you will be ok.
Id say the same as the others on the lab side. Not a pleasure to deal with at all...Super high cost, poor support (if not outright steering away from the labs) and results are ok, nothing more.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
call to make a payment
leave message for call back
no call back
receive threatening letter requiring immediate payment
rinse and repeat every month

D

DrG

Reaction score
Keep an eye on their QC.
Milling quality has been inconsistent and as Doug has mentioned, they do not seem to be in tune with the labs.
Prices are inflated and value for that price does not come close to other 3rd party milling centers.
for example, Argen provides an gold anodized custom abutment with retention groves and 2 final screws for $100 less.
Straumann does not provide the option of retention grooves and no second final screw.Abutment comes in a small baggie with a sticker.
Their zirconia is 5 years behind the rest of the market and my rep still doesn't know my name.

Interesting: I am able to place a retention groove on my Straumann cust Ti abutment, either when I have them mill it trough scan & shape or if I cad and mil it in my office (M series mill). Straumann charges $214 for a cust abut (plus taxes). How much does Argen charge ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Interesting: I am able to place a retention groove on my Straumann cust Ti abutment, either when I have them mill it trough scan & shape or if I cad and mil it in my office (M series mill). Straumann charges $214 for a cust abut (plus taxes). How much does Argen charge ?
Not an anti rotational groove but retention grooves for cemetation. When you have an anodized abutment,it is quite smooth therefore retention grooves are a distinct advantage.Otherwise you must grind in retention or sandblast which defeats the purpose of anodization.
The $214 fee does not include anodization , add another $34. Argen does not charge for this . That's a $100 difference.$140.00

D

DrG

Reaction score
Not an anti rotational groove but retention grooves for cemetation. When you have an anodized abutment,it is quite smooth therefore retention grooves are a distinct advantage.Otherwise you must grind in retention or sandblast which defeats the purpose of anodization.
The $214 fee does not include anodization , add another $34. Argen does not charge for this . That's a $100 difference.$140.00

Ok I get it: anti-rotational groove yes but no retention groove. I will check if I can do it on Cares.
Anodizing takes 2s with painful pleasure kit. Milling the abut takes about 16-22 min

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Straumann absolutely blows!!! By far the worse manufacturer of abutments out there. I'd stop doing implants if I had to deal with them to make my abutments. Sorry, but i suffer from straumann implant PTSD. Furthermore, I can't stand the company either. They hate labs, they constantly screw labs over, and sadly most Dentists never have a clue to this fact.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Ok I get it: anti-rotational groove yes but no retention groove. I will check if I can do it on Cares.
Anodizing takes 2s with painful pleasure kit. Milling the abut takes about 16-22 min
I call it anodizing but I think it is titanium nitrate. Perhaps someone much smarter than me could explain the difference.

PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Nitride coating certainly is a different process. Its a appreciably thicker coating on the abutment. Biomet does great Nitride coating on their abutments. Its a costly and time consuming process. I get that.

Anodizing is far easier. Electric current, electrolyte solution, dial the voltage and voila! Nitride coating can yield a truly nice "Gold" where anodizing yields a nice "yellow"

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Nitride coating is usually done through vapor deposition. The items to be coated are placed in an enclosed chamber along with a pure Nitride ingot. This ingot is brought to boiling and the vapor condenses on the items to be coated much like water vapor on a bathroom mirror.
Anodizing is not a additional layer but a optical illusion. Think of a thin oil film on water. It will show different colors depending on what angle you look at it

Top Bottom