Protecting a Scanner in a "dirty" lab

L

LoveProstho

Reaction score
Hi fellow lab technicians,
I am a prosthodontist building a new (SMALL) office with an in-house lab. I am planning a bench top space for a DOF lab scanner. It will be located in the same room where our dirty model work will be done (pouring, trimming models...grinding on dentures....etc). I don't have the space to create a separate room for the scanner. Does anyone else have this problem? I am wondering what kinds of solutions you have figured out....build a cabinet around it? Keep it covered when not using? Maybe a plexiglass divider of the space? Would love any ideas! (Please don't tell me to find another room...it's not an option.)

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
First step is to use the magnetic plate that came with your DOF. It fills in the open space where you place your scan object. Secondly get a water and dust cover. See below for ideas, quick Amazon search should help you find the right size.

Attachments

• 0424906A-987B-42D7-8D63-A4E3DA6BCFDF.png
    0424906A-987B-42D7-8D63-A4E3DA6BCFDF.png
    417.8 KB · Views: 38
L

LoveProstho

Reaction score
First step is to use the magnetic plate that came with your DOF. It fills in the open space where you place your scan object. Secondly get a water and dust cover. See below for ideas, quick Amazon search should help you find the right size.
Thanks. I like this idea of this cover. I do use the magnetic plate too. I just hope it’s enough!

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I am a prosthodontist building a new (SMALL) office with an in-house lab. I am planning a bench top space for a DOF lab scanner. It will be located in the same room where our dirty model work will be done (pouring, trimming models...grinding on dentures....etc). I don't have the space to create a separate room for the scanner. Does anyone else have this problem? I am wondering what kinds of solutions you have figured out....build a cabinet around it? Keep it covered when not using? Maybe a plexiglass divider of the space? Would love any ideas! (Please don't tell me to find another room...it's not an option.)
I would invest in a good suction system for the lab and you do not have that problem.

L

LoveProstho

Reaction score
I would invest in a good suction system for the lab and you do not have that problem.
Thanks for this. Do you mean the lab bench suctions? Or the venting in the ceiling? Or both? Would love your recommendations. Handler recommended their Super Sucker for my needs, but I haven’t purchased yet.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Buy an IOS

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
They don’t do what I need…full-arch splinted implants
icam, pic, voxel,imetric all will...gotta love photogrammetry. Have you ever tried one of these systems Doc?

L

LoveProstho

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I’ve seen photogrammetry but don’t know much about it. Maybe i should reconsider it…

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I’ve seen photogrammetry but don’t know much about it. Maybe i should reconsider it…
It's just a thought and worth looking into. I know when I checked it was pretty expensive (compared to a desktop scanner) and with supply chain was about a six month wait...that may have changed recently with some of the companies.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Thanks for this. Do you mean the lab bench suctions? Or the venting in the ceiling? Or both? Would love your recommendations. Handler recommended their Super Sucker for my needs, but I haven’t purchased yet.
Lab bench yes. The other one make sure you change the filter on a monthly bases but that is just for breathing clean air.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Where does the porcelain furnace fit in a dirty lab?

R

rookiee

Reaction score
In a first row you should be worried for a health of a person working in that mouse hole, not the scanner....

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
An fdm printer enclosure made of plexiglass would be nice.

If you don't wanna spring for it,, use an upside down tote or trash can.

L

LoveProstho

Reaction score
I was also thinking a plexi glass box would be good. Do you know where to purchase a printer enclosure?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe just a bigger Tupperware storage " box" from Wal-Mart, or something from Uline?
I'm not sure what the Challange Validation is with the link?

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
This is what works here. Storage box that people use in cube shelves.Just make cut out to fit cords .
Not sure of the shape of dof though.

95B14AAF-8C9E-4CC9-88A4-944FE520AA58.jpeg