Problems with Wieland Select...

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Been having intermittent issues with this mill for a few months now. Frequency of problems has accelerated over the past three weeks, and Support is unable to identify the exact issue(s). Yesterday, the mill just shut down.

I'm being told 7-10 days before a technician can get to us. In the meantime, they are offering to mill units in Michigan for free - as long as we use their materials - none of which we currently use. $20/unit to mill a other branded material.

I think what irritates me the most is the "rule" that Ivoclar has in place stating that they won't replace a mill unless and until a technician has been onsite to fix the same issue three times. This equipment hasn't run properly for months and their fix has been to provide new software and a new pc (neither solution worked); to blame it on a software (HP Buttons) that came pre-loaded; and finally to blame the video camera USB connection (again, something they provided). All diagnoses being done remotely via TeamViewer.

No actual visits so no replacement unit.

Not sure how this is going to play out, but I thought it was worth sharing with this community - Caveat Emptor.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Been having intermittent issues with this mill for a few months now. Frequency of problems has accelerated over the past three weeks, and Support is unable to identify the exact issue(s). Yesterday, the mill just shut down.

I'm being told 7-10 days before a technician can get to us. In the meantime, they are offering to mill units in Michigan for free - as long as we use their materials - none of which we currently use. $20/unit to mill a other branded material.

I think what irritates me the most is the "rule" that Ivoclar has in place stating that they won't replace a mill unless and until a technician has been onsite to fix the same issue three times. This equipment hasn't run properly for months and their fix has been to provide new software and a new pc (neither solution worked); to blame it on a software (HP Buttons) that came pre-loaded; and finally to blame the video camera USB connection (again, something they provided). All diagnoses being done remotely via TeamViewer.

No actual visits so no replacement unit.

Not sure how this is going to play out, but I thought it was worth sharing with this community - Caveat Emptor.
Expensive equipment that doesn't work as it should sucks! And three visits?!? You're looking at 3-5 more months at this rate!

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Intermittent issues are the most frustrating to diagnose. Is the problem the same every time or are you having multiple issues? Can you describe what issues your are having?

Here are some generic things to check:

How clean and reliable is the power at your facility? You might be getting voltage spikes or brown outs (power lows) that are enough to keep things running but also corrupt data. Do you have the mill and computer on a UPS (uninterruptable power supply)? Are they on a circuit that is also shared by a high energy device like a compressor, furnace or suction system?

I am not familiar with the Wieland CAM software but does it give you the option to send the file directly to the mill or generate the CAM file first and then send the complete CAM file to the mill? If you can generate the complete CAM file and send that to the mill try running that way for awhile.

Are you doing anything else with the computer when it is running the mill? Scanning, watching videos, designing? If so, try running the mill only. No other tasks during milling or CAM calculation.

Has Wieland provided a known good CAM file that you can run on your system? If you run it and have problems then try a different computer to send the CAM file. If that works then it is a computer issue. If the problem is still there then it is the mill.

Do you have a job that fails consistently? If so, send Wieland the CAM file for analysis. They should be able to look at the file and see errors. Or run the file on a machine in their facility to replicate the issue.

I hope this is helpful and you get the problem(s) resolved soon.

-Glenn

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
double your post, double your fun!

ViewMedia

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
something is going on with the Java script

Yes, like you, I've been seeing it on other threads, too o_O

java error.jpg

Try this option, until Travis figures it out, is to click More Options/Preview/Reply to Thread, and post it from there, and see if that helps bypass the Java double post error.

Last edited:
Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Iam looking into it, the site was updated this morning.....

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Iam looking into it, the site was updated this morning.....

Thanks, Travis. When I left my original post (#6) to go into more options, it wouldn't delete on the main thread page, even if I logged out, and logged back in, was still there in ghost text at the bottom of this tread. It was still there when I hit reply to your above post, and I had to manually delete the previous post stuff I had written in #6.

Edit: this post now includes an attached file, that was not in this post...you've got your work cut out for you, my friend ;)

Attachments

• java error.jpg
    java error.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 25
Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like tapatalk is causing this issue. The plugin is disabled until they can fix this.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Interesting find, Travis, nice investigative work :) I thought maybe it could have been browser thing (FF, Chrome etc),in that some were able to post with no problems, and others having problems.

Edit: this post, and the follow up edit went without a problem. Good job, Travis.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
@RJS8669 I'm sorry to hear about these issues. Is your Wieland select wet/dry or just dry?

brian1981

brian1981

Reaction score
What are the issues that you are having? We've had the mill since November so I've gone through a fair share of issues that I have learned about. Ours is the Select Hybrid. Is that what you're using? Or just the Select. I agree that the support set-up at WPT is not the greatest. You've got to find the right person to talk to which isn't easy.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I was just about to say, the O.P. posts about issues but don't post what the issues are, and he expect help or support how???????

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
RJS8669 did you come up with a diagnosis and solution? it would be nice to know how this turns out. It might help others who are having the same issues. Please share.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Wasn't asking for help. Just letting folks know. Supposedly getting a replacement mill on Monday. Squeaky wheel gets grease?

Will be retro-fitting our little Jensen mill to accept pucks to serve as a back-up. Probably should have done that months ago. Shout out to KIM for hooking me up...

C

charles007

Reaction score
Why not insist on a new mill with all the problems and still no fix ? when does the dln lemon law begin... lol

John bought 2 Wieland mills over the past several years and not one problem from day one........

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Not exactly true Charles, I had issues with the changer initially, there was some manufacturing issues that were resolved.

Like others have stated the intermittent problems are the most difficult to track down WHY they happen. I troubleshooted what went wrong and when Ivoclar sent the TECH 2 times I was able to tell him what to change out. Its been smooth sailing with ZERO problems for the last 6 months.

I spoke with Jeff about his issue and was willing to give him a hand but I think that he has it all set up with Ivoclar to swap things for him.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Follow-up: Mill has been replaced with a brand new unit. Up and running. Kudos to Ivoclar for doing the right thing - even if it did take a while...Cheers

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
And the issue still was????

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
The last statement was that the suction unit wasn't properly grounded (they did the install) and may have led to the mother board in the mill being damaged causing intermittent yet non-recurring errors.

They did come in about 6 weeks ago and install a ground wire. However, according to them the damage had probably already occurred. I'm not computer savvy - shouldn't there be some kind of diagnostic test that would indicate such?

Top Bottom