Problems with setting up 3shape client design computer HELP!

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
We have had the misfortune of having to replace our original scan computer which was installed as a 3shape server. Everything has been reinstalled including materials, operators, sites, abutment libraries etc. At least we are functional again, but we really enjoyed having separate scan, design, and order entry computer stations.

The problem now is that when we set up a new computer as a client, we get an error message that says, "problems occurred while reading material file: please run the Dental System Control Panel to fix error in material relation. System error code 5. Access denied." The file path is correct, but something else is going on.

We have checked to make sure that the appropriate files are shared, but just can't quite figure out what is going on. Our support (Dentsply) has tried everything, but this has been going on for a week now (which is an eternity in lab time) and we need some suggestion and help!

Thanks,

CBF

Joe

Joe

Reaction score
try running the installer as administrator?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Is the other pc set up as a server install? Also mske sure it has permission to read and write to the server. Search on here for error 5. I posted a link to what might resolve the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

T

taki

Reaction score
We have had the misfortune of having to replace our original scan computer which was installed as a 3shape server. Everything has been reinstalled including materials, operators, sites, abutment libraries etc. At least we are functional again, but we really enjoyed having separate scan, design, and order entry computer stations.

The problem now is that when we set up a new computer as a client, we get an error message that says, "problems occurred while reading material file: please run the Dental System Control Panel to fix error in material relation. System error code 5. Access denied." The file path is correct, but something else is going on.

We have checked to make sure that the appropriate files are shared, but just can't quite figure out what is going on. Our support (Dentsply) has tried everything, but this has been going on for a week now (which is an eternity in lab time) and we need some suggestion and help!

Thanks,

CBF
Since you replaced your scan server PC, you must grand permission to the others PCs of your network to communicate with the server PC. Also check the 3Shape Dental System Control Panel, "General" tab,the path for the database (sql server installation) and then at the "System Settings" tab to define a common network path for orders and for stl outputs of the designs. Doing these will eliminate your problem. Have a nice weekend

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's ideas. Tried most of the day to resolve the issue with no luck. Seems to be a file sharing issue or networking problem. We have a client and a server install on the new computer for redundancy. I was able to easily create a new dental manager/dental designer shortcut that worked from the original server computer (acting as a client) to the new computer (as a server). Backwards, and I do not want to just physically change the computers because:

The original client computer has all of our material files and abutment libraries working correctly. My fear (well founded from previous experiences) is that importing the files into a new install always has problems. Of course our own IT guys never call back and Dentsply's support is stretched so thin we sometimes have to wait a day or two just get in contact with them. This is very frustrating and wastes an enormous amount of time.

When things work correctly we have an order entry computer, a scan computer, a design station, and access to DentalManager/Designer from the milling computer to review designs. We only have 1 design station license, but can run up to 5 Dental managers at a time, which is very valuable.

Any ideas appreciated, and I'll let everyone know how we eventually resolve the problem.

ICONDENTAL

ICONDENTAL

Reaction score
call Argen "technical support" , they will help.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
[ Bragging start ] I haven't called tech support for exactly 1 year and 11 months...:D [ Bragging end ]

prestige.dental

prestige.dental

Reaction score
How is the support from CAP if you buy 3shape system from them.

Or can they help in a situation like this for a fair charge

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
Hopefully, the problem has been solved. It was a file sharing issue within the 3shape program folder. Not sure why the server install did not work properly or if the issue is even related. Sevan P. thank you!

Here is a simple, but not technically accurate description of the issue. Maybe a network guy can explain this better? Permissions on folders usually follow down the path, but in this case a few folders had to have their permissions manually changed. If you have permission to read/right to a folder, you can usually also modify a folder within that folder. The problem was discovering "which" folders were causing the Error 5. Essentially the dental manager exe. file was not launching properly. Not as simple as it sounds, because you can have multiple file pathways leading to permission inconsistencies. Maybe a simple issue for hard core network guys, but this one gave us a major headache! Thanks to Dentsply techs for trying their best, CAP and a Sevan P. for ultimately pointing us in the correct direction. Hope it works tomorrow!