Problems with Preciso m200 wax mill

J

Jeff Z

Reaction score
Hello all,

For just over 9 months, my lab has been using the Preciso m200 mill. We have only ever used it for wax patterns (pfms, FGC, E-max, etc.). We use a 3Shape D700 scanner to scan all of our cases and then transfer them over with a direct connection. Also, we apply a light wax coating as a blockout on the dies before they get scanned to minimize any undercuts. Our cement gap is set at .03mm and our drill radius is set at .65mm.

Recently, we have had a few patterns come out not quite milled out enough on the inside of the crowns. It has only effected a few cases but it has been occurring more frequently over the last few days. At first, we thought it might be an insertion direction issue but after rescanning and designing each problem case, we found that it was not the case. It has occurred to several different types of cases as well, single-unit copings, multiple-unit bridges, and full contour crowns.

When looking at the inside of the milled out unit and the design on the computer, there are some very obvious differences with the way it looks. If there is any kind of edge or semi-sharp corner around the incisal edge, the Preciso does not mill it out. Even after blocking the edge out with wax and smoothing it out, it remains unmilled. It is really evident when milling out veneers. The incisal edges on the inside of the crowns will not be milled, causing the crown to not go all the way down on the model.

I understand that the smallest width the machine can reach is .6mm wide but our designs account for that with the drill compensation. What could be causing this rounding off of the inside of our patterns? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

LennyMCT

LennyMCT

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

My name is Lenny and I'm the product/ marketing manager for CAD/CAM here at Jensen. Can you please PM me your lab and contact info and I'll make sure our technical team gets back to you right away.

Thanks,

Lenny

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
your cam strategy seems the most obvious culprit. missing any kind of area might be due to a problem in the cam generation. if there is any way to preview the milled crown, with some sort of simulation tool, you could see if it is off.

if the cam is off, you'd notice more than it just not seating properly. it would be blobby and smeared.

if the cam seems OK, maybe the onboard tool sensor is not working correctly, to determine a break or determine the length of the tool.

you're going to need someone from jensen to teamviewer to check the software.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
seems like your cam or maybe your burs are not correct for what you want.

have you made any changes to your tools recently?

is it possible your parameters changed in your 3Shape software?

When's the last time you calibrated your mill?

J

Jeff Z

Reaction score
I actually spoke to a member of the tech team at Jensen yesterday and went through some of the possible reasons as to why we were having problems but none were viable sources. The outside of the crowns, occlusal table, mesial, lingual, etc., are all coming out fine. Also, it is only affecting a few cases. We mill out about 40 - 50 units a day and only have about 4 or 5 that have problems. I think that if it were a problem with the burs, it would be affecting all of the patterns not just a select few and it would affect the entirety of the pattern not just the inside. Right?

We calibrated the mill twice yesterday and are still having the same problem today with the same cases. Our parameters have not been changed in our 3Shape software and we have not made any changes to the tools in the mill.

J

Jeff Z

Reaction score
I actually spoke to a member of the tech team at Jensen yesterday and went through some of the possible reasons as to why we were having problems but none were viable sources. The outside of the crowns, occlusal table, mesial, lingual, etc., are all coming out fine. Also, it is only affecting a few cases. We mill out about 40 - 50 units a day and only have about 4 or 5 that have problems. I think that if it were a problem with the burs, it would be affecting all of the patterns not just a select few and it would affect the entirety of the pattern not just the inside. Right?

We calibrated the mill twice yesterday and are still having the same problem today with the same cases. Our parameters have not been changed in our 3Shape software and we have not made any changes to the tools in the mill.