Problems milling zirconia inlays/onlays with a Rolland DWX-52dci, chips and more chips

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
Thats excellent. Travis and his Mods that provide this tool for us go largely un-thanked. This site has helped me so much, and Ive met people I now consider my closest friends (@JMN). It stinks youre having these chipping issues, but we are all learning through you while you get it fixed.
Thank you for sharing and becoming an even more valued member of our community.
Yes for me it is pleasure to help, because you always give me your valuable advice unconditionally. This forum is gold.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
Hope someday we can meet. I live in Florida where are you from guys?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Just reg Carbides, what are your recommendations @FASTFNGR @user name @CoolHandLuke @zero_zero @JMN for the DWX-52dci?
carbide tools don't last long milling zirconia because as a dusty chalky material, zirconia eats edges. diamond coated tools are wear-resistant in this application. they arent the best at other things like plastics. i don't know whose tools would be best for you i'll leave that to someone else.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thats excellent. Travis and his Mods that provide this tool for us go largely un-thanked. This site has helped me so much, and Ive met people I now consider my closest friends (@JMN). It stinks youre having these chipping issues, but we are all learning through you while you get it fixed.
Thank you for sharing and becoming an even more valued member of our community.
You're an amazing guy to learn from and call friend as well. I frequently say that I have friends all over the country and world, but none in my county. It's true. I have made better friends among those here than I have ever in my life.

(by the way, it's basically just me and Travis now.)

user name

user name

Reaction score
But, then of coarse theres winter.
cow.JPG

user name

user name

Reaction score
That was a bad year. March 2019. This is on the plains. Higher elevations around Sturgis, Lead/Deadwood area received over 8 feet that night.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
That was a bad year. March 2019. This is on the plains. Higher elevations around Sturgis, Lead/Deadwood area received over 8 feet that night.
Wow, a lot of Snow

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Duuude! We got 38inches one night but I can't even imagine that.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
If it is the mill, shouldn't it chip other cases too? Why only the inlay/onlay cases? And after you slow down the mill, it should make it better, but it didn't...
Clean air is very important, but if that is the problem it would affect all cases, no?
Burr length is important too, but the mill measures it before starting using it... and it only makes a different when you are using bigger pucks, like 20-25mm. It should be ok on a 14mm puck.
I don't have a Roland, but I see a difference when I mill it, depending on how I design it in 3Shape... (we have 2, different years, but it makes a difference) (Now we have an Exocad, and have to say, designing it in Exo is like a dream coming true, no problem at all)
I think try to mill it without a connector where it chips. I think you put too many, sometimes less is more... :)
And are you sure you put the right shrinkage in the software? I saw it is 1.25... not impossible but very rare when it is exactly that...

Top Bottom