Problems milling zirconia inlays/onlays with a Rolland DWX-52dci, chips and more chips

user name

user name

Reaction score
For as many times as this is happening, have you sat with the mill during the job and inspected between bur changes? Id like to know what bur is chipping. Please pull your 2 and 1mm, DONT wipe them off and post a good close pic of the burs.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
For as many times as this is happening, have you sat with the mill during the job and inspected between bur changes? Id like to know what bur is chipping. Please pull your 2 and 1mm, DONT wipe them off and post a good close pic of the burs.
in the Google Play store you can get a free app called Magnifier, i've used this on countless occasions to take close up high res photos without adding a lens to my phone. works great on newer phones with high quality cameras, but not excellent on the dual or triple camera S10-11 phones.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
This are my burs @user name @CoolHandLuke

Attachments

• 2mm.jpeg
    2mm.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 1mm.jpeg
    1mm.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 65
user name

user name

Reaction score
Everyones tired of hearing me say it, but with dust accumulating on your burs they dont cut nice and clean. Its like snow sticking to a shovel. You can often get by, but when things get delicate and thin, problems are exposed like chipping. You need dryer air so the dust doesnt build up.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
too right, user. air issue.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Disregard anything Ive said.
Being a ChatBot, my ideas are generated based on word recognition from previous comments.
Any suggestions are for entertainment purposes only. Please consult someone that actually knows what theyre talking about.

ChatBot out.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
You need dryer air so the dust doesnt build up.
What you mean with this sir? Maybe we have a compressor problem, i have a tiny 1 gallon compressor from california airtools, i recently purchased one of 8 gallons, i don't know if that could solve the problem.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
Disregard anything Ive said.
Being a ChatBot, my ideas are generated based on word recognition from previous comments.
Any suggestions are for entertainment purposes only. Please consult someone that actually knows what theyre talking about.

ChatBot out.
:):cool:

user name

user name

Reaction score
What you mean with this sir? Maybe we have a compressor problem, i have a tiny 1 gallon compressor from california airtools, i recently purchased one of 8 gallons, i don't know if that could solve the problem.
I recently assisted a friend who was having problems with media flow in his sand blaster. He was using a 2.6 gal Makita compressor. When I opened the drain, nearly 2 gallons of rusty water drained out. You need to maintain DRY air.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
I recently assisted a friend who was having problems with media flow in his sand blaster. He was using a 2.6 gal Makita compressor. When I opened the drain, nearly 2 gallons of rusty water drained out. You need to maintain DRY air.
Yes @user name I noticed some water from condensation , so i also purchased with the compressor, a water/oil filter, do you think this will solve this water issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.11.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.11.04 PM.png
    298 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.11.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 3.11.15 PM.png
    157 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Thats not enough. You are trying to do things without spending lots of money, so I would suggest a membrane dryer for starters. Contact La-Man on the phone and tell them you need a membrane with an auto drain; no oil filter needed.
I would also add an RTi MD-4 desiccant dryer.
Thats what I would do.
I know you dont want to hear it, but those two will run you 4 to 5 times what the compressor cost, but its essential.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Another minimalist option would be a Ney compressed air filter/dryer. You would need to change out dryer cartridges probably at least every 3 months, but a years supply through Nowak is quite reasonable.
What ever you do, drain your tank every day. (Better yet, add a timed drain. Set it to burp for 3 seconds every 30 minutes)

user name

user name

Reaction score
If you call Dave at Nowak Dental, he can get you the dryer for $275 and an additional 4 pack of replacement cartridges for $106. (Free shipping ;) )
203-734-0217

That would be your least expensive route to curing your problem.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
If you call Dave at Nowak Dental, he can get you the dryer for $275 and an additional 4 pack of replacement cartridges for $106. (Free shipping ;) )
203-734-0217

That would be your least expensive route to curing your problem.
:cool: Thank you so much man, i really need to invest more to get better results. I will call dave to buy this.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
@CoolHandLuke @JMN @user name This is what happened when we used 90% as Milling speed. What do you think it could be happening? Do you think still, is an air problem?

Attachments

• 90%.jpeg
    90%.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 57
  • pic 2.jpeg
    pic 2.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 61
user name

user name

Reaction score
Dry air is always important, and in your case needed. As far as machining, Ill defer to CHL.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
it looks like it ripped a chunk out of the zirconia, do you happen to know which tool did this? i would change tools right away. a gouge like that is either a dull, clogged or bent tool. being only in one spot, its definitely a tool clogging issue. the air sprays a tiiiiiiiny amount of moisture as it blows, this traps on the porous tool tip and causes tools to become clogged at the microscopic scale. then, you get big pits and chunks like this. since the moisture in the air varies, it has no frequency pattern and is unpredictable.

Top Bottom