Printing Permanent Crowns?

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
Has anyone started thinking about printing permanent crowns? Looks like Bego has a material out that looks interesting for single units (VarseoSmile Crown Plus).

Accutech

Accutech

Reaction score
There are few others (or possibly lot more currently R&D). It’s an exciting alternative to milling for sure but you still have to sinter (zirconia) or crystallize (glass ceramics LD LS).
Upside to this method vs milling would be thinner more precise margins (once you dial it in) ability to print in layered appearance like hand layered/ stacked porcelain.
What I have seen though (very limited by the way) when comparing full contour zirconias, it reminded me of finished FCZ from 16 years ago (as an experiment I did) on my Cerec in lab. Not too pretty. I can’t imagine trying to sell it in its current technological state.
Who / whichever company brings it to market whenever that is in a more polished esthetic state, I would be very interested.
For now....pass.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it also supposed to be a "game changer" ;) :)
My view is that if a manufacturer has to say that about their stuff it's the same as showing us a pretty lady in an advertisment.

They got nothing to say about the product and don't want to discuss it on merits. IF they cannot and will not do that, I ain't interested.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
Never dealt with the lava stuff. Bego has scientific studies about the material on the website though. it will be interesting to see where this fits in- cheaper system for chairside crowns maybe?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I always wonder if they actually have a restoration or if it just a person smiling. Maybe I am just missing the niche of pretty ladies needing new centrals.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Remember the Valplast posters?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I always wonder if they actually have a restoration or if it just a person smiling. Maybe I am just missing the niche of pretty ladies needing new centrals.
You are, but it's a very sad niche. Abuse victims. 'Non-accidental injury' accounts for too much of my work.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Could this be the new process to print crowns?

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
"3d printing with inkjet technology" sounds like polyjet printing, which was a developmental dead end for printed parts. Stratasys used to market and sell them, I think they still might, but it just doesn't offer many advantages over DLP/LCD printing, and the printers are far more expensive in the bargain. unreliable, very expensive feedstocks, very high maintenance and upkeep costs, etc. We were happy to stop using ours this year. Multi-material printing is a cool gimmick, you don't need supports for anything because you just lay down a support material that dissolves in lye, and it offers a very large X/Y building area, but you almost never need that- and the very short Z-height severely limits the models you can print on them, a lot of our ortho stuff straight-off did not fit on the printer.

printing composites is a little more novel, and certainly has some interesting applications if their technology is as game-changing as they suggest. but that doesn't seem like a particularly good fit for crowns. The big limiting factor for producing permanent parts with novel approaches are the materials you can work with, not the technique itself, because the mechanical requirements for long-lived permanents are so high, and basically everything that isn't subtractively-machining from a billet is going to compromise on those critical material properties. The real breakthrough, imo, wouldn't derive from the printing process itself, but rather an easily-manufactured printed product that can stand toe-to-toe with a milled part in strength and longevity.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Damn...you mean I gotta buy something else??????

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Damn...you mean I gotta buy something else??????
Yes, yes, but we have to, it's new and improved, it could be the very next evolution to make our lives easier, better, and more efficient. It could be a game changer....I'll pass on being a beta tester.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Yes, yes, but we have to, it's new and improved, it could be the very next evolution to make our lives easier, better, and more efficient. It could be a game changer....I'll pass on being a beta tester.

Well I don't wanna be left behind.
💸💸💸💸💸💸

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
That would work for implant bars, resolution needs to improve tho...
I think the sintering or chrystalization process will still be a necessary step when ceramics are printed.

F

Foggy_in_RI

Reaction score
I think the sintering or chrystalization process will still be a necessary step when ceramics are printed.
You are correct- but the sintering step can be carried out in a traditional burnout furnace which is nice.

Lithoz is close to a product launch with Ivoclar for printed e.max- they will be the ones to watch.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
You are correct- but the sintering step can be carried out in a traditional burnout furnace which is nice.

Lithoz is close to a product launch with Ivoclar for printed e.max- they will be the ones to watch.
If Ivoclar's involved, I'm listening