Printing digital diagnostic wax up

M

Martin Bubez

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I see these sorts of posts have already been put on here but I'm still none the wiser!
I have made a digital wax up on an unprepared upper anterior case. Is there any way to export this wax up with the digital model as one to then print a model of the case with the wax up in situ?
Or... Better yet... Could I export this all to then design and print a "suck down" so that the dentist could use it as a key for adding composite in the mouth to show the patient what can be done?

Thanks guys for your help!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Yes this is possible. We use this most times to get patient acceptance on large restorative or cosmetic cases.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Copy and append your case, however what you will find is that the design of the waxup attaches to the SCAn not the model, so youu will have to redesign the model.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
One thing to be wary of - depending on your printer, the way the diagnostic is attached to the model can affect the print. I've found the most success creating the model, then attaching the diagnostic design to the "watertight" model after the fact.

I have seen where people just export the design out with the model, so that they're overlapping STL's and not a single one. This can cause oddball issues and holes in the print.

Which design software are you using?

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score
We do alot, first I take take the stl file into Meshmixer and extract digitally and fill the holes and smooth. I then save that file separate from the original. I then make my case in 3shape as a temp on prepared(so i dont have to mark margins). I then import the stl with extractions, the antagonist, and then the original as a preop(so I have my placements right). I do this because even though 3shape has a digital extraction tool, once you save and close it, it doesn't save the extractions in 3D preview so sometimes the existing teeth are showing through my design. Once my design is right, just do 3shapes Copy and Append feature to save the design on the model. Then I export that scan and reimport it to a new case for just models, run through 3shapes model builder and boom you are done. I know this is alot but if you wanna know more just let me know.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We do alot, first I take take the stl file into Meshmixer and extract digitally and fill the holes and smooth. I then save that file separate from the original. I then make my case in 3shape as a temp on prepared(so i dont have to mark margins). I then import the stl with extractions, the antagonist, and then the original as a preop(so I have my placements right). I do this because even though 3shape has a digital extraction tool, once you save and close it, it doesn't save the extractions in 3D preview so sometimes the existing teeth are showing through my design. Once my design is right, just do 3shapes Copy and Append feature to save the design on the model. Then I export that scan and reimport it to a new case for just models, run through 3shapes model builder and boom you are done. I know this is alot but if you wanna know more just let me know.
any chance you could make a video of the proceedure?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Can this be done for veneers?
I found it a challenge to cut back while trying to maintain the original linguals.

blackhawk201

blackhawk201

Reaction score
Can this be done for veneers?
I found it a challenge to cut back while trying to maintain the original linguals.

Yeah you can, but veneers are a little more challenging. If the model isn't prepped for veneers already, Meshmixer does have a sculpt feature but it can be intimidating at first. What I would do it sculpt away the facial what you need to reduce. You technically don't have to remove everything just enough so that the original won't show through once you append. If the model is already prepped I would still use temp on prepared. I love using it since I dont have to mark margins or section out an unsectioned model.