Printed Models from STL's

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have a doctor that is sending me STLs for his anterior cases and he has a model printed for us to use. I have 3Shape, but no model builder software and we do not have a 3D Printer, yet. The model he sends us does not come with a removable die. When I design the case in 3Shape, I mark the margins manually, but many times they aren't well defined. We have had no remakes so far. Can I take the STLs he sends me and send them to a lab with a 3D Printer to have another model made so that I can manually split the new model and and trim the prep/preps? I assume I can not have a separate die made with the new model unless I had model builder and was able to include margin information with the STLs. Thanks

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have a doctor that is sending me STLs for his anterior cases and he has a model printed for us to use. I have 3Shape, but no model builder software and we do not have a 3D Printer, yet. The model he sends us does not come with a removable die. When I design the case in 3Shape, I mark the margins manually, but many times they aren't well defined. We have had no remakes so far. Can I take the STLs he sends me and send them to a lab with a 3D Printer to have another model made so that I can manually split the new model and and trim the prep/preps? I assume I can not have a separate die made with the new model unless I had model builder and was able to include margin information with the STLs. Thanks
Maybe someone can help you out with model building?

Or send it to one of the many printing facilities. For an extra fee they do the model building, if you ask for it. I do have model builder, but we use Whipmix for all the printing.

H

HampeTC

Reaction score
Hi Brett. if you dont feel the need to get Model Builder (although its might be worth it in the long run) you can try and use Mesh Mixer. The model will probably not look as clean as one made in MB but after you get used to that software it might look passable. You can easily find a tutorial on youtube of how to manipulate STL. files

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
simple answer is yes you can, but get model builder.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Yes you can. We do it all of the time.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I have never used a removable model for the last 10 years. Solid model plus a separate prep dye. Scan it separate and mesh it with the solid.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yes you can send to another lab and get just a removable die or a removable die inside the model would be the cats meow!!!