Print models

L

LUIS PAULO

Reaction score
Hello dental technicians,does anyone work with intraoral scan and printed models to do removable?it's a good value for the money spent on the entire system?

Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
The lab I currently work at does to a degree . Some doctors send us digital models but we have to do them to make just about anything on that makes it for ultra flex. Or a suck down I guess. Acrylic Bond straight to it there's only one company that claims they have an acrylic Bond free material that I believe and that is Stratus. Any other rep that tells you otherwise I've written off already is a liar due to testing. Envision tech has made those claims to me before and so has next dent.
The biggest issue we have is doctors capturing a lot of scatter on the soft tissue. However I will say we have some doctors who have mastered it with scanners such as primescane, three shape and even I taro. But it's more the doctor or person doing the scanning than it is the scanner from what I've seen. Though obviously having a scanner that can capture those is a must.
A lot of times we will make things like immediate dentures on them but not a final denture. Sometimes we'll get them for partials and call the doctor and tell him you're going to use that to make a custom tree for him due to the lack of anatomy captured. I'm interested to hear some other lab opinions

L

LUIS PAULO

Reaction score
The lab I currently work at does to a degree . Some doctors send us digital models but we have to do them to make just about anything on that makes it for ultra flex. Or a suck down I guess. Acrylic Bond straight to it there's only one company that claims they have an acrylic Bond free material that I believe and that is Stratus. Any other rep that tells you otherwise I've written off already is a liar due to testing. Envision tech has made those claims to me before and so has next dent.
The biggest issue we have is doctors capturing a lot of scatter on the soft tissue. However I will say we have some doctors who have mastered it with scanners such as primescane, three shape and even I taro. But it's more the doctor or person doing the scanning than it is the scanner from what I've seen. Though obviously having a scanner that can capture those is a must.
A lot of times we will make things like immediate dentures on them but not a final denture. Sometimes we'll get them for partials and call the doctor and tell him you're going to use that to make a custom tree for him due to the lack of anatomy captured. I'm interested to hear some other lab opinions
Thanks for the great report.
For the removable dentures, isolating
method and usage of the model, it's far way from the gypsum tecnic?

G

guilbd1270

Reaction score
WE do a lot of immediate dentures, unilaterals and partials... they send us the scan, we print and then duplicate the models. I didn't like the idea of duplicating the models but its ok now cause I can use the digital model to retrofit the appliance once I am done with the case. I will start doing digital dentures and niteguards, partials soon but I think for difficult cases I will keep duplicating the digital model and going to conventional way

L

LUIS PAULO

Reaction score
WE do a lot of immediate dentures, unilaterals and partials... they send us the scan, we print and then duplicate the models. I didn't like the idea of duplicating the models but its ok now cause I can use the digital model to retrofit the appliance once I am done with the case. I will start doing digital dentures and niteguards, partials soon but I think for difficult cases I will keep duplicating the digital model and going to conventional way
Since all the dental lab products are made for the alginate,gypsum and isolation method,duplicating a printed model is proper to have some discrepancies or errors?

G

guilbd1270

Reaction score
Since all the dental lab products are made for the alginate,gypsum and isolation method,duplicating a printed model is proper to have some discrepancies or errors?
not really. they all fix very well according to my clients and Im sure they look better than those printed dentures. Dentist dont want to take impressions any more lol.. so either we adapt or they will go to a lab thats able to receive those files.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
not really. they all fix very well according to my clients and Im sure they look better than those printed dentures. Dentist dont want to take impressions any more lol.. so either we adapt or they will go to a lab thats able to receive those files.
They do, and I'm overworked so you guys need to get with it because this fellar needs a nap.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
I do lots of partials with ios and the lab just prints the file and duplicates into stone models. Frames fit excellent.
We also have started doing immediate dentures the same way. I am putting temporary liners in at 4 weeks anyway.
As long as the scan records enough of the arch for proper flanges I have no problem

T

Tranquil

Reaction score
I think it has value if you don't spend tons of money on it.
It is possible to get into digital, printed models inexpensively. You can receive scans/STL files from the doctors/offices no problem ( except, maybe primescan and such, which would require you to buy their license to work with files or convert them into STL-files) then you can install Blender, for example ( free and open source 3D modeling software) , then you can buy dirt cheap add-on module from Blender ( I think it called blender for dental model designer or something) to create finished model files. Well, then you going to need a decent printer. Printers, that most of the labs use these days are good and getting cheaper ( they are mostly SLA - stereolithography: laser and liquid resin),BUT the cost of producing models is kind of high (cost of material, trays, maintenance etc) - dollars, not pennies... Alternatively, you can get nice reliable FDM printer (fused deposition modeling - basically heated filament),something like Prusa, for about $1k and start printing model that would cost you about 12-20 cents per model...Those work nicely for immediate removables ( and yeah, needs to be duplicated into stone - hydrocolloid works like a charm, very accurate).
Also Zirconzahn has free custom tray designing software - you can use it to design and then print custom trays and bite block bases - comes out nice + cheaper then to buy light-curable wafers or suck-down sheets. But all that just IMHO

L

LUIS PAULO

Reaction score
I think it has value if you don't spend tons of money on it.
It is possible to get into digital, printed models inexpensively. You can receive scans/STL files from the doctors/offices no problem ( except, maybe primescan and such, which would require you to buy their license to work with files or convert them into STL-files) then you can install Blender, for example ( free and open source 3D modeling software) , then you can buy dirt cheap add-on module from Blender ( I think it called blender for dental model designer or something) to create finished model files. Well, then you going to need a decent printer. Printers, that most of the labs use these days are good and getting cheaper ( they are mostly SLA - stereolithography: laser and liquid resin),BUT the cost of producing models is kind of high (cost of material, trays, maintenance etc) - dollars, not pennies... Alternatively, you can get nice reliable FDM printer (fused deposition modeling - basically heated filament),something like Prusa, for about $1k and start printing model that would cost you about 12-20 cents per model...Those work nicely for immediate removables ( and yeah, needs to be duplicated into stone - hydrocolloid works like a charm, very accurate).
Also Zirconzahn has free custom tray designing software - you can use it to design and then print custom trays and bite block bases - comes out nice + cheaper then to buy light-curable wafers or suck-down sheets. But all that just IMHO
What's the best prusa printer for the removable?
What's the brand and machine do you use on hydrocolloid duplicating system?

T

Tranquil

Reaction score
What's the best prusa printer for the removable?
What's the brand and machine do you use on hydrocolloid duplicating system?
we use original i3 MK3S+ as of prusa ( their multifilament is too complicated, does not work well and mini is too small) - been running it almost 24 hours a day for the last 2-3 years
Hydrocolloid machine - we've got poska dental 1.5 gallon, had an electrical issue with that at the very beginning (even had to ship it back),but since then been running it 1-2 cycles a day for the last 4 years - works great so far. it was the most affordable and easy to use at the time...
Also, on the cheap side - got the desktop scanner (shinning 3D),so we can digitize stone models...
been running daily for the last 3-4 years, no problem...

L

LUIS PAULO

Reaction score
we use original i3 MK3S+ as of prusa ( their multifilament is too complicated, does not work well and mini is too small) - been running it almost 24 hours a day for the last 2-3 years
Hydrocolloid machine - we've got poska dental 1.5 gallon, had an electrical issue with that at the very beginning (even had to ship it back),but since then been running it 1-2 cycles a day for the last 4 years - works great so far. it was the most affordable and easy to use at the time...
Also, on the cheap side - got the desktop scanner (shinning 3D),so we can digitize stone models...
The models produced by i3 MK3S+ have high detail ?
How long takes to do a dental model?
Can you give me the ref or a website of the hidrocolloid machine because I can't find anywhere?

T

tooey

Reaction score
hello what model of shining 3d printer do you have ? also what was the cost? thanks

T

Tranquil

Reaction score
The models produced by i3 MK3S+ have high detail ?
How long takes to do a dental model?
Can you give me the ref or a website of the hidrocolloid machine because I can't find anywhere?
Sorry misspelled - it's Posca Dental, but i'm not sure if they still manufacture/sell duplicating machines
we print at 0.15mm or 0.20 mm resolution, for immediate removables works for us, takes about 6 hours to print 4 models ( usually, not in hurry, or printing overnight; could fit 9-10 models on the plate, but if something goes wrong - that's a lot of reprinting + doesn't really save you that much time)

T

Tranquil

Reaction score
hello what model of shining 3d printer do you have ? also what was the cost? thanks
DS-EX, used to be around $5K, don't remember exactly ( scanner, not printer, right?)