Print Failures

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
So I'm making my mistakes and putting in the work to get past the learning curve with printing. I'm currently practing designing dentures from analog cases we have in the lab. When I go to print I'm having consistent print failures (more than 50%). Reading other threads about printing I know they can be a number of issues (supports, nesting direction, etc). The only success I have is using a stl platform that I drop my denture on. The only issue is I have to fake the last millimeter or 2 which just so happens to be one of the key land marks, the hamular notch. Please help.

P.S.
I'm using "study model" resin not tryin resin. I read in another thread that when practicing it shouldn't matter. PXL_20211025_194141187.jpg

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Looks like you're nesting them at 90 degrees. I would do more of a 45 degree angle with supports.

Also make sure your mirror on the printer and bottom of the resin tray are clean and clear. Clean it with some IPA.

Also make sure the printer is calibrated for the correct resin.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
To start, I don't have experience with this specific printer, but I have experience with a printer that uses the same/similar method, so here's a couple ideas;

First the support on the right side of the picture looks like it has around a 45 degree angle where it is supposed to connect to the denture. This is something to look out for, you want to avoid connecting to places that are at too much of an angle from the build plate. The software wants the support to attach perpendicularly to the object being printed and it will create a short segment at the end of your support to facilitate that. The problem is that the suction from the printer is pulling the part straight down and if the support is coming in at an angle it is easy for it to detach. If you connect in a way that keeps the support straight up and down at the connection it can handle the suction forces put on it by the printer. I hope that made sense, I feel like its a tough problem to describe rather than show.

The second thing I would say is if you keep having issues, use the try in resin and like sirmorty said, check your angle. While I agree that you should be able to print it in a different material, there is a chance that to print successfully you would need to modify how it is set up, so if all else fails, try the proper resin and set it up by the book and see if you get a different result.

The obvious things that must be said are make sure that all of your surfaces are clean, your materials are properly mixed of course. Also I second sirmorty on ensuring that you are using the correct resin on your printer setup. Don't set the printer software to a denture material because you are printing a denture, set it to the material that you are actually printing in.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
I don’t claim to have tons of knowledge but my experience with printing is that the type of material makes a difference. I don’t know why exactly.
I tried printing a copy of a denture in a clear ish tray material and it failed 3 times until I switched back to the try in material.
I am not sure if the angle on the build platform is the problem or not. I have printed straight and with even more angle.
Good luck.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your expertise. I will incorporate your suggestions next time I print.

Top Bottom