Primescan files via Dropbox then sent to Argen for models

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Ok, we are trying to work with a Dr that has the Primescan. They are new to all this and not very computer savvy. We gave up on Cerec years ago so no Cerec portal crap. We just outsource for now. So what I would like to do is receive the .stl files from the Dr. via Dropbox and forward them to Argen for models to be made. My question is do the Primescan files contain all the info for Argen to articulate the case. We have sent a few files to Argen's portal as a test but they were single models.They have sent us a few live cases and received just 2 files per patient. Can the models be made and articulated with those to files or do we need to do something else. Thanks.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Ok, we are trying to work with a Dr that has the Primescan. They are new to all this and not very computer savvy. We gave up on Cerec years ago so no Cerec portal crap. We just outsource for now. So what I would like to do is receive the .stl files from the Dr. via Dropbox and forward them to Argen for models to be made. My question is do the Primescan files contain all the info for Argen to articulate the case. We have sent a few files to Argen's portal as a test but they were single models.They have sent us a few live cases and received just 2 files per patient. Can the models be made and articulated with those to files or do we need to do something else. Thanks.
Just working with a doc on this Thursday with their new toy.
The STLs do not have the bite registration. They are separate files for separate models, stored as such and sent as such.

Don't know about the other export options, didn't get time to play with their toy as it took them over an hour to scan upper and lower. Yes, really.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Do you know what the bite file is labeled or it's location? Unfortunately the assistant that I'm working with has limited computer skills. I asked if they have Team Viewer and she said yes but couldn't tell me the log in info for me to see the software. I also asked for her to make a folder and put the files and any pictures and a prescription in it to be sent by Dropbox and she was totally lost. She said they do make a scan of the bite so in theory they have that file. Now she has named the files of the upper and lower so I assume when the file of the bite is made there must be a box the comes up for it to be named? I appreciate your help.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Hopefully you are local and can make the trip over there to coach them a bit.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the bite file is labeled or it's location? Unfortunately the assistant that I'm working with has limited computer skills. I asked if they have Team Viewer and she said yes but couldn't tell me the log in info for me to see the software. I also asked for her to make a folder and put the files and any pictures and a prescription in it to be sent by Dropbox and she was totally lost. She said they do make a scan of the bite so in theory they have that file. Now she has named the files of the upper and lower so I assume when the file of the bite is made there must be a box the comes up for it to be named? I appreciate your help.
i will see about getting some time on one next week. The bite reg is stored as part of 'their' file set, but is not part of the stl encoding and not a separate file if output as stl.

We scanned an rpd as well and had to start a new casefile to scan that and call it 'upper jaw' there is no way allowed to add pre-,post-, or any other scan. It is strictly upper jaw lower jaw, bite. Anything more requires new case.

Last edited:
Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
Hopefully you are local and can make the trip over there to coach them a bit.
Unfortunately we are in NH and they are in FL...

JMN, wonder if it would work then if they started a new "case" and just did a scan of the bite and called it "upper jaw"? It could be renamed "bite" latter. I hate Sirona. They claim open files but you still can't use them.

doug

doug

Reaction score
You need to look at Cerec inbox as a tool. If you borrow it more than once you need to buy it. I see you hate Sirona, but they are one of the billion dollar gorillas that you have to deal with. Bite the bullet and spent the money, then you won't spend your time looking for a work-around to something that is seamless when put in place.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately we are in NH and they are in FL...

JMN, wonder if it would work then if they started a new "case" and just did a scan of the bite and called it "upper jaw"? It could be renamed "bite" latter. I hate Sirona. They claim open files but you still can't use them.
When the bite scan is taken it pulls the data from the upper and lower scans. Soon as the software knows where the camera is the screen puts the appropriate arch in position.

However, you can get a STL of the bite by doing what you suggest. You will have to hand articulate it into the bite shown in the stl, but it's better than nothing.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Argen would "hand" articulate the bite. I remember doing that with the old Cerwreck. I'll call Argen and see if that is possible. When I talked to them about this they said there should be 3 files, upper, lower and bite. There must be a workaround for this. Ya, we're not buying **** from the Machine. If we can't straighten this out and they don't want to do regular impressions we'll just part ways. The boss refuses to get a scanner and software so our only way to work on a Dr's scan is with a third party which isn't always easy. So what brands of software can take the 2 .stl files from the Primescan and design a model and articulation (other than inLab)? Don't know what Argen uses...
dropbox is not HIPAA compliant. Use biobigbox
I won't tell anyone if you don't.:) Hard enough getting the assistant to do Dropbox,can't imagine her trying a new format.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I won't tell anyone if you don't.:) Hard enough getting the assistant to do Dropbox,can't imagine her trying a new format.

hipaa.PNG

$1.5 mil seems excessive for a small company to be extorted for by a government agency, but I have read some violators were hit for $10k per violation.
That could torpedo a small business. May want to rethink your strategy dealing with nitwits at a client's office. They would be in violation as well....

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Its not a matter if I tell anyone, youve just told everyone, on a public forum.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
$10k per patient who had data breached. Even the fact Mr. X had an appointment is considered protected data.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
For data transmissikn security I jumped into Labstar.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I guess I can try sending a case to Argen just as we receive it and see what happens. Worst case is they can't articulate it.

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
If the doctor goes far enough in the software before exporting, a bite is possible with export. I just did a custom abutment case that I sent to truabutment. I had to go to the office and get the case set up right because they had it all messed up, but it works. It is the only time I ever used a prime scan and I had to mess with how the case was set up but I figured it out. There are various ways to export at different stages depending on what the doc set up In the administration screen. Also doctors who buy a prime scan can get a free cerec connection case center to give to thier lab of choice. They can also get a license to export stl files but it must be requested. I would check with the doctor and see if they have a case center to give you, it just makes it easier for the doctors staff to get the case out and they should've received a free one with the machine.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I'm not quite following you on the case center. They can send cases through this connection to only 1 lab of choice for "free"? What does the lab have to do be in the case center and accept files?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite following you on the case center. They can send cases through this connection to only 1 lab of choice for "free"? What does the lab have to do be in the case center and accept files?
The office buying the scanner is, as part of the purchase of the scanner, able to select 1 lab to receive a free license to the cerec connect software when the office purchases the scanner.

The lab gets the license, installs the software, and receives the cases that way. They may not even know about this and may not have given it to anyone yet. Ask. All they can tell you is no.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I doubt they even know about that aspect. They seem totally not ready to delve into this adventure and learn what they need to. Of course they were probably told this at the learning session but information overload is a problem.
Ok, at talked to the tech at Argen. Nice guy, answered my questions and looks like we are good to go. He mentioned there are few scanner companies that use a third bite and must be included but the Primescan should be ok. So I'm going send them off and see what we get. Hopefully things go smoothly.:rolleyes:
Next we'll look at biobigbox.

L

lostinthe907

Reaction score
So what brands of software can take the 2 .stl files from the Primescan and design a model and articulation (other than inLab)?
We use 3shape. once you can get the two STLs (HIPPA approved preferably) from the Primscan then import them in 3shape as digital impressions. The two files (upper and lower) are saved in occlusion instead of depending on a 3rd independent scan.
if you had to do it in house, this way would work.

Top Bottom