Pricing: have or be had

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
That is understandable. But that's a far cry from what we are sometimes expected to do.. Like everything is good everyone's happy.. Process finish fud fld and then they change shade. Change midline. And grind off post due to fit.nut fit on articulation. Discrepency being either try in didn't have new bite and was told to process anyways or there was no try in at all and Dr just looked at articulation.
The lab at very least shouldn't have to pay for new ipns. I'm cool with the work. Ill reduce that regardless.. But if we are gonna be haphazard for whatever reason (that I do not understand.. Come on lets chnage it in wax) but why is ur mistake 100% the labs cost.

The increases in the ones ur talking about.. Mine would be miniscule.. Like $10 per clasp. And that's were I'd leave it for a flipper since its supposed to be a temp anyways. Give em the cheap on the flipper so they want a better more expensive partial if it comes to that later.
Who knows I could be very wrong. Guess there's always a lesson to be learned

A

adl

Reaction score
I can understand how the dentist is concerned about being nickeled and dimed. I worked for a lab that listed on their price sheet a 2 tooth flipper for $150.00. But then they added charges for clasp, articulation and a processing model and that flipper was now $225.00.
So what

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
I have 3 different fee levels for my dentures. Economy basic and premium. They are all listed on the lab slip. I talk with all my new doctors about what level of service each one involves and the quality of the product each one involves. I have cheap docs who want the cheapest thing they can get and are happy dealing with the issues afterword, and docs who want better service with each case. If I have a doc that sends me lots of adjustments and remakes I offer to help them with a couple of in office tryins to walk them through issues. A lot of these guys don't do a ton of removable and are very open to a little bit of help. If they continue to have issues I raise my price on them and tell them why. If they leave I am okay with that.

D

David Laville

Reaction score

Why not be upfront with the price from the start? Why advertise a price you know you won't be selling it at? I have set prices, I sell on quality and service and the doctors know how much a completed prosthetic is going to cost them delivered .Setting a low starting price is just a sales gimmick to get the work through the door than nickel and diming on the back end to raise the price. This is when you market yourself on price and not quality.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
I can understand how the dentist is concerned about being nickeled and dimed. I worked for a lab that listed on their price sheet a 2 tooth flipper for $150.00. But then they added charges for clasp, articulation and a processing model and that flipper was now $225.00.
I agree with the extra charge for clasping and artic. but not for the processing model. If customer wants the $150 flipper that's what they should get. A 2 tooth flipper for $150. No clasping, no teeth, no model pours, no mounting and using their supplied teeth. Finished case returned in a box along with their broken model pieces and opposing model which was hand articulated. Those are ALL extra cost items. Liken it to a car. You want the car? OK. You want a/c, electric windows, automagic trans, etc.... you gon' pay more.
Price lists are only to give price shoppers (short term customers) an opening to your lab. If your work saves them chair time or headaches with the patient and they stay on with you... the $150 flipper opened the door to the relationship.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Why not be upfront with the price from the start? Why advertise a price you know you won't be selling it at? I have set prices, I sell on quality and service and the doctors know how much a completed prosthetic is going to cost them delivered .Setting a low starting price is just a sales gimmick to get the work through the door than nickel and diming on the back end to raise the price. This is when you market yourself on price and not quality.
If you ask me for a quote on a service I can provide I don't deviate from what is quoted. If you call and ask me for a ballpark on what it costs, I give you a ballpark number. I have a price with everything included right down to model pour and articulation. Whether you want that price or one with less. A person never pays for anything they didn't get.
Personally, I'm rather good at what I do, and don't have to understate my prices to get work.
Carry on..

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
ah these arts of marketing and valuation. as in Fordism, "the customer can have any car color as long as it is black". so Henry was only selling black. this rule gave the opportunity to perform cheaper, more efficiently.
but what is described here is an attempt to be the cheapest so that the cheapest doctor would pay attention to you.
I guess this is not about tricking someone on the price list or about dealing with a doctor who wants a prosthesis done but without articulation, done out of prosthetic art.
after all, if you offer premium then how do you want to do premium when you offer a lot of cheap and hopeless jobs that need to be corrected because I don't believe it will be trouble-free correct jobs.
prosthetic treatment is carried out in a team. this is a team, not a deathmatch. just as a dental lab you have to offer solutions that are functional, complete. I don't care if it's a premium denture with individual characterization, color transitions and Artegral teeth, or a smooth denture with cheap MFT teeth. You will adjust the price to your needs and to earn. Hiding behind the prices of materials, the price of teeth and saying that labor work is not a big part of the bill is hiding the fact that you can not provide a full service, functional prosthesis. Well, how else if someone claims that knowledge and ability to cooperate smoothly may be the lowest cost for a doctor.
in my lab, labor work is not lower than 50% of the prosthesis price, and yet I have lower prices than the competition. I choose the quality of my work, choose what materials and which company to use to achieve the price-quality ratio of the product suited to the market in which I work.
I don't know if you understand me, but it's better to focus on the work and services we offer, than convince with complicating and creating a price list system.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Then don't request a clasp,articulation and process it on the master.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
A lot comes down to how you produce your price list. Make it obvious.

IRPD (includesx,y,z)....................................................................$
.....Dup model (default yes unless told otherwise)............$
.....w/wclasp(each)..............................................................$
.....pink/tooth shade clasp (ea)...........................................$
......additional teeth (each)...................................................$

Make it obvious with subsetting.....

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
That is understandable. But that's a far cry from what we are sometimes expected to do.. Like everything is good everyone's happy.. Process finish fud fld and then they change shade. Change midline. And grind off post due to fit.nut fit on articulation. Discrepency being either try in didn't have new bite and was told to process anyways or there was no try in at all and Dr just looked at articulation.
The lab at very least shouldn't have to pay for new ipns. I'm cool with the work. Ill reduce that regardless.. But if we are gonna be haphazard for whatever reason (that I do not understand.. Come on lets chnage it in wax) but why is ur mistake 100% the labs cost.

The increases in the ones ur talking about.. Mine would be miniscule.. Like $10 per clasp. And that's were I'd leave it for a flipper since its supposed to be a temp anyways. Give em the cheap on the flipper so they want a better more expensive partial if it comes to that later.
Who knows I could be very wrong. Guess there's always a lesson to be learned
You have to find the doctors that compliment your talents and work well with you. DUMP all the whiners. Life is too short.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
$225 is a perfectly reasonable price for a properly made acrylic partial. I’m sure the doc was/is welcome to supply models and clasps if he/she wants to save the $75.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Docs asking for blanket fees aren’t seeking predictability in pricing, they’re looking for a way to pass the inherent problems involved with short chair appointments per procedure onto the lab.

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
Docs asking for blanket fees aren’t seeking predictability in pricing, they’re looking for a way to pass the inherent problems involved with short chair appointments per procedure onto the lab.
I for sure agree with this! Sure a lesson to learn. I'm glad I didnt go in blindly. Thank you!

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score

IRPD (includesx,y,z)....................................................................$
.....w/wclasp(each)..............................................................$
......additional teeth (each)...................................................$

Yea this is what we had to start with. I think its an easy unmistakable way to do it.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
How many of us have had a dentist request a 1-2 tooth flipper for a patient who has "wedding, funeral, vacation" etc...Occasionally Instead of charging a 30% Rush fee I'll line item Lingual Clasp/wire teeth on top of the standard price. My lab fees will still be considerable under what is passed on to the patient and insurance.

I am envious of the Canadian model for lab fees. What a wonderful world, not allowing a dentist to mark up a dental appliance and allow Lab's to make quality work.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
How many of us have had a dentist request a 1-2 tooth flipper for a patient who has "wedding, funeral, vacation" etc...Occasionally Instead of charging a 30% Rush fee I'll line item Lingual Clasp/wire teeth on top of the standard price. My lab fees will still be considerable under what is passed on to the patient and insurance.

I am envious of the Canadian model for lab fees. What a wonderful world, not allowing a dentist to mark up a dental appliance and allow Lab's to make quality work.
REGULATION IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE AND I DO NOT WANT ANY PLEASE. Quality of work, demographics and customer expectations should determine pricing.

Our motto...Good, Fast. Cheap. Pick any 2...

Top Bottom