Pricing: have or be had

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
I have an upcoming meeting. I have revised my Price list. I have also witnessed pricing of other labs and how they charge.

Dr says one thing we need to talk about is nickle and diming per step. They other labs they deal with give them a set price and that's the price til the case is right and complete. ok not what I saw when looking back on remakes I've done for these other labs (if that were the case and they were getting charged per appliance only, then why have we remade so many when they could have had the work free.. No its not a time thing it'll sit on my shelf for ages.) I'm still new to setting prices. What do you all think here? Dr being reasonable or like my husband thinks trying to get one over on us. If I do it Drs way should I make a free try In adjustment cap... At like two or three per case? (I have one Dr it takes one try in and its beautiful. I have other where its many. I have one who doesn't even do try ins and There's always MacGyvering involved.

where to draw the line between giving this doc what she wants and being fair with us and our time

Have a great day

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Explain you are being transparsnt on pricing.

If he wants a set fee, explain that can be done, but with one 'free' reset and pay after that. That a single fee just means a higher ovrall fee since you need to include costs that all cases will not incur.

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
Explain you are being transparsnt on pricing.

If he wants a set fee, explain that can be done, but with one 'free' reset and pay after that. That a single fee just means a higher ovrall fee since you need to include costs that all cases will not incur.

Yes I like this. Thank you. I'm never sure if ideas are legit or ballbusters.

Thank you for the advice. You are awesome

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You are not going to make everyone happy with your fees.
Should we have set fees for everyone?
My delivery costs vary depending on the distance.
Degree of difficulty and pita offices cost me more than the others.

We can all agree that we do custom work. Perhaps our fees should be customized for each office as well.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
But you can not have an invoice for everything and separate settlement what is on the invoice?
Increase prices to include corrections. You should win at this. Because you are looking for a job where there are as few corrections as possible.
Let them overpay. as far as corrections are not your main income ...

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
We use set fees here, as this was brought up in another discussion on here. Some do, some do not.
If you go with set fees make sure you explain possible extra fees. Our denture, partials, and all implant prosthesis have one fee
per each. First reset is free. Second reset has a fee. Relines have a set fee, repairs have a minimum set fee, plus models ( depends on difficulty).
My feelings are, doctors mainly want to know what their approx lab cost is up front that they do not have to scroll down through adding up
this and that. Its work for me for the last 30 yrs. Last but least, set your fees where you can cover your cost, overhead, remakes (if you have any),
and can make a decent lving in this business. If you lose a client due to your pricelist, most likely you wouldnt want to work with them to begin with...

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
In Ontario we have a suggested fee guide from our Association. Not sure why techs are dummies and don't use it. Our dentists use their suggested fee guide. This is basically a minimum pricing, Charge more if you want, but stick to at least the suggested. They hired professionals to work out exactly what $/minute costs as well as overhead are. You charge under it you are making less profit margin. You really low ball you make no profit.

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
Thank you I will be looking this up

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
In Ontario we have a suggested fee guide from our Association. Not sure why techs are dummies and don't use it. Our dentists use their suggested fee guide. This is basically a minimum pricing, Charge more if you want, but stick to at least the suggested. They hired professionals to work out exactly what $/minute costs as well as overhead are. You charge under it you are making less profit margin. You really low ball you make no profit.
When all dentists are on board it works for them.This is not the case with the labs here.
when a patient shops around,the dentist will send to the cheaper box lab if he thinks he'll retain the patient.They don't give a rat's pattoot about our fee guide.
I followed the fee guide like a loyal member only to find the other guys talked a good game at the meetings but looked at the guide as way of undercutting us.
Maybe the GTA is different but I doubt it.

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
Its an interesting point in new business trying to figure this part out. I appreciate everyones advice. Lmt has listed similar things in the past. But you are right. Places do not care about averages and so forth. Its all about cheapest and quickest. (Which is a lesson for the quality over quantity mind) I'm sure it'll work out. So far I sent out what will be on the negotiation table Monday. We will see how things play out . 😬

Everything will be ok one way or another!
Thanks everyone. Keep the advice rolling. I always love to learn from you and There's always varying perceptions! I love that. I love the info you all provide.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have an upcoming meeting. I have revised my Price list. I have also witnessed pricing of other labs and how they charge.

Dr says one thing we need to talk about is nickle and diming per step. They other labs they deal with give them a set price and that's the price til the case is right and complete. ok not what I saw when looking back on remakes I've done for these other labs (if that were the case and they were getting charged per appliance only, then why have we remade so many when they could have had the work free.. No its not a time thing it'll sit on my shelf for ages.) I'm still new to setting prices. What do you all think here? Dr being reasonable or like my husband thinks trying to get one over on us. If I do it Drs way should I make a free try In adjustment cap... At like two or three per case? (I have one Dr it takes one try in and its beautiful. I have other where its many. I have one who doesn't even do try ins and There's always MacGyvering involved.

where to draw the line between giving this doc what she wants and being fair with us and our time

Have a great day
Simple...I'd be like, " Llsten Doc, I don't tell you how to run your business, so remind me again why I'm listening to you tell me how to run mine?" You set the prices in which you make money, if you want to give your work away, call me...I have a immediate technician opening for you. Set your prices, be fair, but at the end of the day it's a business and it's up to you whether you want to flourish or diminish it. Almost all medium labs and some small labs do a shlt ton more in sales than one practice does. I don't mind advice but you have to consider the source.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Time to replace the Dr. If your work is top notch- let it talk for you. After you replace the Dr. start raising her prices until it is worth while to keep her or she will go away on her own. I liken prices to a cheeseburger. On the menu it is x. If you get it without all the fixins' it ain't less money. Why would a Dr. want to pay for stuff they don't get? If this dr is questioning your prices now it will be always. DUMP HER.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Throught my career I have had price issues with 3 Dr's. that I can recall... 1 female, 2 male. All very alpha personality and similar names...For some negotiation is a part of their lives and bred into them. I chose to dump them and will no longer do business with that kind. Life's too short.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Itemized invoices reflect actual costs and services. I have itemized for 33 years. Some squeak about how confusing it is, some say, I never realized how much of the cost involved shipping, teeth, and so forth and how much (little) the actual labor costs were. Everyone has a comfort level but mine is most important.

Toni Toscano

Toni Toscano

Reaction score
I agree. I think itemizing is great and ppl say it makes for paper work nightmare but not with things like quick books and other such things they have today. At least its the honest explanation to your bill. And if you wanna do 7 try ins because of something not lacking on my part maybe it'll teach to not cut so many corners. Idk. That's just what I thought.
Go to the super market and tell them hey I'm gonna make a cake. And it needs to be right but first time I don't wanna see if the temp is right.. Oh its ruins.. Well thats fine ill change the temp... But I'm definitely not timing it. Oh... Burnt.... Ok well ill do all that right but I'm not measuring a thing... Crap not good again.. But I need you guys to keep supplying me with the same amount of stuff at not extra cost to me til I get it right . sound good? Every service works this way right? Ahh I'm not getting bitter. In just in a mood figuring out many thing and this is on the frustrating back burner (that not on the right temperature by the way)
Ill figure out what to say. But what all you have said help me feel more sane for wanting to do it this way. Instead of the presumed greed or whatever the view actually was.. Seems that way.

Ill look back on this and it will probably make little sense. In a day or two when I'm not mom getting school stuff ready oh wait the buses arent driving the kids and is in a suit with the district.. Gotta rearrange that... And help my friend wrap some stuff up with his company... Find a new framework guy... Get ready for camp. And do five rush cases.
Mama needs a nap. I need to get my head on right before this meeting. And I thank you for helping me get there.
😝😵😬😤😳

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Agree on this. Have a couple of doctors that average 2-15 Re-Try'ins for all removable work.While I am sympathetic on loss of chair time......we both know accomodating the labor to make him happy is a cost the lab passes on to the end user.

I know Glidewell's pricing and time in lab schedule. I often tell Doctor's to use them and call me if they want local service that is accountable. Glidewell can have the cheap doctors, I am not looking to waste my time or resources on them.

We use set fees here, as this was brought up in another discussion on here. Some do, some do not.
If you go with set fees make sure you explain possible extra fees. Our denture, partials, and all implant prosthesis have one fee
per each. First reset is free. Second reset has a fee. Relines have a set fee, repairs have a minimum set fee, plus models ( depends on difficulty).
My feelings are, doctors mainly want to know what their approx lab cost is up front that they do not have to scroll down through adding up
this and that. Its work for me for the last 30 yrs. Last but least, set your fees where you can cover your cost, overhead, remakes (if you have any),
and can make a decent lving in this business. If you lose a client due to your pricelist, most likely you wouldnt want to work with them to begin with...

D

David Laville

Reaction score
I can understand how the dentist is concerned about being nickeled and dimed. I worked for a lab that listed on their price sheet a 2 tooth flipper for $150.00. But then they added charges for clasp, articulation and a processing model and that flipper was now $225.00.

Top Bottom