Potential Scanbody Issues?

T

toothtooth3

Reaction score
Hi all! This may be a silly question to some but I wanted to ask as our lab is having some issues with certain custom abutments/crowns not seating correctly for the doctors. We are currently designing the custom abutments & crowns in exocad and was wondering if there could be an issue with how we are doing things. We then mill our abutments using DESS premilled blanks.

Doctor sends us a scan. Blue sky bio implant was placed. Scan has an Elos scan body. Custom abutment milled using DESS premilled blank.

When a DESS scanbody is used & then milled using the DESS premilled blank, things go seamlessly well each time. Is there too much mixing & matching going on? Appreciate any input!

doug

doug

Reaction score
All I can add to what you posted is that I bought all of the scan bodies for all of my docs to match the system. If it's a DESS abutment, I'd give them a Dess scan body. The cost of a scan body is peanuts compared to even one remake.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hi all! This may be a silly question to some but I wanted to ask as our lab is having some issues with certain custom abutments/crowns not seating correctly for the doctors. We are currently designing the custom abutments & crowns in exocad and was wondering if there could be an issue with how we are doing things. We then mill our abutments using DESS premilled blanks.

Doctor sends us a scan. Blue sky bio implant was placed. Scan has an Elos scan body. Custom abutment milled using DESS premilled blank.

When a DESS scanbody is used & then milled using the DESS premilled blank, things go seamlessly well each time. Is there too much mixing & matching going on? Appreciate any input!
As Doug mentions, stay within a system. The scan body gives the lead, don't deviate.
However, we also have had timing issues, a couple of times. I think we had calls from three, maybe four companies telling us that there has been a 'issue' with certain scan bodies...

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I can guess what the problem is. The restoration comes up 1 mm different than intended. If this is the what is happening, you are selecting the wrong scan body in the Elos library. They have an updated scan body and the part number difference is easy to miss.